Skip to main content
Topic: NBs Final Practice Match (Read 4568 times) previous topic - next topic

NBs Final Practice Match

Overcast condition with a bit of a swirly wind. Been about 100 years since I've been to Arden Street.

NBs 13.10 def W'bee 9.11

Best effort from the boys I've seen thus far this year. Great that there were so many CFC listed blokes playing.

Nick Graham didn't play, so obviously today's emergency for the seniors.

3 goals: Palmer and Galucci. 2 goals:Jaksch and 1ea to Jones, McKay (though he should have had 3), Kerridge, Korcheck and Boekhorst.

Dylan Buckley serviceable as the small defender.

JGM also serviceable.

Williamson was good, like the way he reads the play. Thinks like a footballer.

Jones was good in terms of presenting, tackling and attacking the aggott, took a great contested mark - of course! Problem for Jones is that in general play when he's got the aggott some of his decisions are just terrible, has the happy knack of turning into trouble!

Harry is coming along nicely, contested well and should have had 3 goals... missed a sitter and was not allowed another due to team mate getting a free just before booting the goal - poor umpiring, obvious advantage play-on. Player with the free missed, rubbing salt into the wound - Harry understandably not impressed.

Palmer was very good and set the tone early. Has probably passed Kerridge.

Kerridge was busy but for mine is now shaded by Palmer... typically a couple of his passes by foot were shockers.

Korchek was dominant in the ruck. FA else, but was really good giving our mids first use.

Sumner must be really rusty or something... didn't do much.

Jaksch kicked a couple of good goals but also missed some sitters. Contested well and shows a much better intent, bit like Jones though once the aggott hits the deck.

Zac F. liked his game, one of the 'little shoots' to grow a little more today. Up until today he'd been busy in every game but took very little possession, today he won more possession with v good disposal. Coming along nicely. He's a player but will take time.

Cuningham 'the conundrum' ... better, more effective effort today. Still a couple too many clangers... had a kick at half forward and gave it to the opposition with a ridiculous pass to a bloke with 3 opponents! Ball ended up in 2 seconds in their forward line.

Boekhorst, best I've seen from him in a long time. Close to our best in the first half...

Polson, like Fisher, coming along nicely. Gee he's quick. Gets to contests and has v. good disposal.

Gus was also v good. When the ball was in his hands down back you just knew it would land on a team mates chest. Showed some real dash at times with damaging disposal to advantage. One of those blokes who never seems flustered and has loads of time. Close.

Galucci was a highlight for me. Easily the most dangerous small forward. Doesn't need many opportunities to hit the scoreboard. Reliable kick and really opportunistic... turned half chances into goals (kicked 3 and all rippers).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: NBs Final Practice Match

Reply #1
Thanks matey. Much appreciate your time in going and also putting these reports together.

Reply #2

Galucci was a highlight for me. Easily the most dangerous small forward. Doesn't need many opportunities to hit the scoreboard. Reliable kick and really opportunistic... turned half chances into goals (kicked 3 and all rippers).
Thanks Baggers, your'e a champ. Gallucci is the interesting one. Touted as having talent to burn but has been crueled by injury so its great that he got amongst it. I noted on the latest Journey video that he is quite vocal at training and seems to be a bit of a character. The small, quick, elusive forward is worth his weight in gold these days. Look at Fantasia over at CheatsFC, the prick creates something out of nothing, kicks straight and has bagged 9 goals in two games. I really hope AG gets a crack this year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Good work Baggers, interesting reading, much appreciated.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
Good to read Baggers cheers, any one you think put there hand up for selection seriously?

Reply #5
Overcast condition with a bit of a swirly wind. Been about 100 years since I've been to Arden Street.

NBs 13.10 def W'bee 9.11

Best effort from the boys I've seen thus far this year. Great that there were so many CFC listed blokes playing.

Nick Graham didn't play, so obviously today's emergency for the seniors.

3 goals: Palmer and Galucci. 2 goals:Jaksch and 1ea to Jones, McKay (though he should have had 3), Kerridge, Korcheck and Boekhorst.

Dylan Buckley serviceable as the small defender.

JGM also serviceable.

Williamson was good, like the way he reads the play. Thinks like a footballer.

Jones was good in terms of presenting, tackling and attacking the aggott, took a great contested mark - of course! Problem for Jones is that in general play when he's got the aggott some of his decisions are just terrible, has the happy knack of turning into trouble!

Harry is coming along nicely, contested well and should have had 3 goals... missed a sitter and was not allowed another due to team mate getting a free just before booting the goal - poor umpiring, obvious advantage play-on. Player with the free missed, rubbing salt into the wound - Harry understandably not impressed.

Palmer was very good and set the tone early. Has probably passed Kerridge.

Kerridge was busy but for mine is now shaded by Palmer... typically a couple of his passes by foot were shockers.

Korchek was dominant in the ruck. FA else, but was really good giving our mids first use.

Sumner must be really rusty or something... didn't do much.

Jaksch kicked a couple of good goals but also missed some sitters. Contested well and shows a much better intent, bit like Jones though once the aggott hits the deck.

Zac F. liked his game, one of the 'little shoots' to grow a little more today. Up until today he'd been busy in every game but took very little possession, today he won more possession with v good disposal. Coming along nicely. He's a player but will take time.

Cuningham 'the conundrum' ... better, more effective effort today. Still a couple too many clangers... had a kick at half forward and gave it to the opposition with a ridiculous pass to a bloke with 3 opponents! Ball ended up in 2 seconds in their forward line.

Boekhorst, best I've seen from him in a long time. Close to our best in the first half...

Polson, like Fisher, coming along nicely. Gee he's quick. Gets to contests and has v. good disposal.

Gus was also v good. When the ball was in his hands down back you just knew it would land on a team mates chest. Showed some real dash at times with damaging disposal to advantage. One of those blokes who never seems flustered and has loads of time. Close.

You'd love the likes of Fisher to be ready (enjoyed some of his work in the JLT Series) and Boekhorst and Buckley to be consistent. That line breaking speed would be very handy.

Reply #6
Good to read Baggers cheers, any one you think put there hand up for selection seriously?

There were a few blokes who staked a claim for promotion for different reasons. The problem is who would they replace? SPS and Pickett were both pretty ordinary today but they're learning and need to be out there - ditto Charlie and SOJ. And BB is not your wholesale changes kind of guy.

Graham (on last week's effort) and Palmer both deserve a shot but neither is quick. Boekhorst would be a chance - was his best today for a long while. Kerridge gets it well but then gives it to the opposition.

I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and rest Casboult... he's giving very little. Jones rucked a bit today and was okay.

Gus and Galucci probably need another run but would have to be real close to a call up.

You could only see one or two changes unless there are injuries - if SOJ doesn't come up, then in Harry as a third tall. If Daisy's injury doesn't come up, then Palmer or Boekhorst (gulp!).

Good to see SOS, BB and other coaches there today. BB... lose the Hollywood sunglasses, standing there in overcast conditions with huge designer sunglasses on a small head was a tad embarrassing - I've seen car windscreens smaller than those sunglasses  ;)

Reply #7
I'd play Palmer for sure and agree on Jones.....thing on Jones and Casboult for me was they both played better when they were both in the team together...
Wouldnt bother with Boekhorst, we dont need another player in the team who cant tackle, probably play Graham for a series of games and see what he has before he gets booted at years end.
Sheehan another NB's game then in the team for White.....

Reply #8
Thanks again for a sterling report Mr Baggers. Much appreciated by us who can't get there.

Great to hear Bb putting in, maybe the penny has dropped. Will look forward to Gussy and young Gallucci staking their claim for a call up. Williamson and Polson will be bonuses if they continue to improve.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #9
I know they are only practice matches but the NB's are looking more solid this year which I believe is a reflection that the club is moving in the right direction. Box Hill were a force leading up to and during the Dawks Dynasty so maybe we're on the same path. 

Reply #10
@ Townsend

Yes, remember how frequently the 2s mirror the 1s. I expect it reflects much about the state of the  list and the club as a whole.

Early days for sure, but certainly some glimpses to like.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #11
Much appreciated Baggers

Reply #12
Much appreciated indeed.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
I know they are only practice matches but the NB's are looking more solid this year which I believe is a reflection that the club is moving in the right direction. Box Hill were a force leading up to and during the Dawks Dynasty so maybe we're on the same path.

What I've seen so far this year for the NBs (yes, long way to go) is better than at the same time last year. Now you actually look out over the field and see a real future in some we've recruited.

Reply #14
Geez we are fickle here, I'm sure this website was filled with loathing and hatred for Palmer just a few days ago. He was the guy we had to have but didn't want!
The Force Awakens!