Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2020 season (Read 6071 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2020 season

It seems one of the other teams might get a shot at the title this year.

First Erin Phillips does her knee in the Grand Final, now co-captain and superstar Chelsea Randall has done her knee on day 1 of the preseason.
https://womens.afl/news/18814/crow-blow-co-captain-tears-acl-in-first-pre-season-training-session
That leaves the crows with 5 girls who have done their knee in the past 12 months. List sizes are only 30 (maybe 32?) which means over 15% of their playing list is unavailable due to ACL injuries. Ouch.

Re: AFLW 2020 season

Reply #1
Considering how things are biased in Adelaide's favour, having a few injured is a blessing for any other club. Even so, I wouldn't count them out. They have access to more talent than any other 2 clubs.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/loynes-and-harrington-to-replace-davey-as-carlton-opt-for-co-captains-20191212-p53j8j.html

Harrington i get.

Loynes was a bit up and down with form and at 33, is closer to the end than the beginning.

Sarah Hosking must feel a bit stiff since she has just be leapfrogged by those 2 into the captaincy.

Reply #4
I’m not a big fan of co-captains but I think that the club has made a good choice in not separating the players’ choices in Katie and Kerryn.

Katie is inspirational with her desperation to make a contest and her durability is a real asset, but she is coming to end of her career. Kerryn continues to improve and I reckon she is a monty for another All-Australian spot.  I suspect that Katie may be tasked with grooming Kerryn for a solo skipper role in 2021 and beyond.

Lead us to glory ladies!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
I’m not a big fan of co-captains but I think that the club has made a good choice in not separating the players’ choices in Katie and Kerryn.

Katie is inspirational with her desperation to make a contest and her durability is a real asset, but she is coming to end of her career. Kerryn continues to improve and I reckon she is a monty for another All-Australian spot.  I suspect that Katie may be tasked with grooming Kerryn for a solo skipper role in 2021 and beyond.

Lead us to glory ladies!

Katie = Cripps
Kerryn = Doc

In terms off positions and the way the go about it.

Reply #6
Katie = Cripps
Kerryn = Doc

In terms off positions and the way the go about it.

Nice comparisons

Knowing both ladies, the Navy is in good hands here.

Outstanding citizens. Loyal. Determined. Respected.
Very professional. Approachable. Lead by example just what the young ones in the squad need.
Have good life balance away from footy.
Always give 100%.

Lifelong Navy supporters to boot.

Reply #7
Knowing both ladies, the Navy is in good hands here.

Yes I agree, it's a smart move because they have quite different personalities but they both have excellent work ethics.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
It seems one of the other teams might get a shot at the title this year.

First Erin Phillips does her knee in the Grand Final, now co-captain and superstar Chelsea Randall has done her knee on day 1 of the preseason.
https://womens.afl/news/18814/crow-blow-co-captain-tears-acl-in-first-pre-season-training-session
That leaves the crows with 5 girls who have done their knee in the past 12 months. List sizes are only 30 (maybe 32?) which means over 15% of their playing list is unavailable due to ACL injuries. Ouch.

it seems that Erin Phillips is on track to resume playing in round 1.  I guess that’s not surprising given her incredibly professional approach to preparation and conditioning.

Perhaps Adelaide will be contenders again.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Much the same as my hopes for the men in 2020, all I want to see is our starting AFLW 22 with 22 on-field contributors.

The most basic difference between Adelaide and the others last season was that Adelaide had less passengers.

I'm hoping the departure of Davey will wake up a few of our passengers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Assuming the media quotes are correct and she hasn't been verbaled, I don't think it's a good idea for Tayla Harris to talk up her physical intensity for 2020.

Stuff like that has a way of biting whoever says it on the ar5e!

Actions are far more important than words.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Assuming the media quotes are correct and she hasn't been verbaled, I don't think it's a good idea for Tayla Harris to talk up her physical intensity for 2020.

Stuff like that has a way of biting whoever says it on the ar5e!

Actions are far more important than words.

Why do you always comment on something, without providing the source/quotes/details of what you are commenting on?

Reply #13
Why do you always comment on something, without providing the source/quotes/details of what you are commenting on?
I'd heard it being reported on radio, not sure where else it may be reported.

Radio reported she is quoted as stating she is going to "Run straight through opponents in 2020."

FWIW; A quick Google of "Tayla Harris" finds this as the very first news record,
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-will-be-mowing-people-down-front-and-centre-harris-talking-tough-20200109-p53q3a.html

So there is some substance to the claim. Although it sounds like it has been dramatised by radio it's still not a good idea to tell the world you'll mow people down front on!

"I will be mowing people down front and centre and there will be no one spared," Harris said

That's like daring or setting opponents a challenge!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Good on her.

It shows an intensity that has largely been lacking from all navy blue wearers of late.

No longer are we happy with sneaking under the radar. We have a big target on our back and we'll take it as it comes.

Personally i think its great for Tayla as when she is left to her own devices she plays too nice. Her own words said she was always too worried about hurting her opponent, be that in the ring or on the oval.

If we can get her to 'play angry' and have a point to prove, then i think it will help her footy.
We need a big season from her this year.