Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 11827 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn

I'll be getting home in time to write something on this thread. Weird!
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #1
What in God's name happened?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Worst 4 quarters we've played in a while.

Umps gave us a head start and everything.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
That felt like a 10 goal hammering. Could barely string 2 possessions together for 3 quarters.

I faaaaarking hate Hawthorn too.

My biggest takeaway is just how many dumb players we have - we're not going anywhere near the top with guys who do thing like Plowman does on such a regular basis. If you didn't see them and want to argue the toss I'll just have to refer you to the replay.

Reply #4
What in God's name happened?
The usual. We got well in front and then $H!T ourselves. Let the other mob in and then shrivelled up into our shell and played bit parts in the reemergence of the great white hope that is Hawthorn. I thought losing to Norf last week would be bad but the effort this week far outweighs that. Back to square one.

Reply #5
Bad timing, Hawks under the media pump, four good ins and we decided that the game was won at quarter time and played bruise free footy after that. For all the Cripps carry on he had a light rotating tag only and had his share of free's.
Pittonet probably wilted under the Hawks ruck combo and the Hawks better players ended up with some easy ball thanks to some poor manning up and lazy inept contesting.

Reply #6
My biggest takeaway is just how many dumb players we have - we're not going anywhere near the top with guys who do thing like Plowman does on such a regular basis. If you didn't see them and want to argue the toss I'll just have to refer you to the replay.
He's bad but he's not alone. The guys who we had glimmers of hope from came back to bite us. See Setterfield, Kennedy, Cunningham, SPS (fa@rk me he was bad) etc. Please, please don't tell me we had to give absolute SPUDS guys like Moore 2 games regardless of how bad he was last week. Truly mind-boggling what goes on at selection. Hope the whole season gets called off after that effort.

Reply #7
We lost it in the first quarter. And that’s a serious statement.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #8
I've stuck up for Murph in the past but he has reached the point where I just expect his kicks will go anywhere else than to one of our players.. Kennedy's another one.

The big problem for me is that while we have some players of size, with a few notable exceptions, they have no idea how to use that size to maximum advantage.
They're big but they don't intimidate....they don't hurt.
Our smaller brigade often get brushed aside much too easily.
We're a weak side...and while we might be able to get away with that in the odd match through the season when we get to the pointy end it won't hold up.

Reply #9
He's bad but he's not alone. The guys who we had glimmers of hope from came back to bite us. See Setterfield, Kennedy, Cunningham, SPS (fa@rk me he was bad) etc. Please, please don't tell me we had to give absolute SPUDS guys like Moore 2 games regardless of how bad he was last week. Truly mind-boggling what goes on at selection. Hope the whole season gets called off after that effort.

Certainly not alone. Our backline just don't have enough mentality about them to stand up under pressure. They panick and lose the game between their ears. Some of those attempts to move the ball out of defence were truly troubling.

Reply #10
I am fed up with this team.  They’re young they say. They’re not young ad all. It is our senior players that continually let us down. We were on top and it was like our senior players decided to let hawthorn back o to it with rubbish kick after rubbish kick.
And we know that no Carlton team can Stans yo against pressure.

Never been more angry at a performance Than that one.  Writing was on the wall last week
We only scraped thru

Sick of this club giving me false hope. And spare
Me the hawthorn had back to the wall and had to win what a load of absolute crap. We
Died

Reply #11
That was bordering on the unforgiveable.  Not the first time I've said it, but Petrevski Seton and an appropriate pick for Papley.  Sick of him.

Reply #12
I am fed up with this team.  They’re young they say. They’re not young ad all. It is our senior players that continually let us down. We were on top and it was like our senior players decided to let hawthorn back o to it with rubbish kick after rubbish kick.
And we know that no Carlton team can Stans yo against pressure.

Never been more angry at a performance Than that one.  Writing was on the wall last week
We only scraped thru

Sick of this club giving me false hope. And spare
Me the hawthorn had back to the wall and had to win what a load of absolute crap. We
Died

Hard to argue with that. Too easy in the 1st and then they were just soft. For the rest of the game hawthorn just wanted to win more. Our guys are so mentally weak.

Reply #13
Certainly not alone. Our backline just don't have enough mentality about them to stand up under pressure. They panick and lose the game between their ears. Some of those attempts to move the ball out of defence were truly troubling.
Midfield refuse to man up, Stats show we have more goals scored by opposing mids than any other teams.
Hawks are treacle like for speed but kept getting on their own.
Agree on Plowman.. had a shocker, Williamson too was poor again and SPS weak at the ball.
The lesser lights who shone last week were also unsighted.
Moore's selection left us one short...

Reply #14
Newnes keeps Fisher out. Moore plays ahead of... anyone. Our MC are on smack.