Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Essendon (Read 5714 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #15
Being one of the few people on earth who bothered to watch the Port-Essendon match, the ruck situation will be a problem. For whatever reason, Port persisted in rucking Sam Powell-Pepper as a 2nd ruck and he was beaten senseless. Both Phillips and Draper threw him out the way as if he wasn’t there and won frees for being held. I’m not sure this says much about how JSOS will fare, though, as he puts much more effort into competing in the ruck. Powell-Pepper doesn’t seem to bother on that score: he just hopes to win it on the ground.

Draper is a pretty decent ruck. He has an unusual blend of physicality and athleticism. TdK will have his hands full with him but TdK seems to have a major advantage when it comes to his leap and is much more likely to take a pack mark.

Carlton has pretty much made it clear that it won’t resort to using Lewis Young as a secondary ruckman, even when Weitering was controlling D50. I can’t see us breaking from that mindset as JSOS and Cripps are certainly capable of taking on Phillips around the ground. If TdK were to be forced out of the game, would Young be thrown into the ruck then?

Reply #16
JSOS and Cripps are certainly capable of taking on Phillips around the ground.
Around the ground I was very impressed with Cripps, he's really grown into the stoppage ruck role / contest and was a serious threat, he is just too strong for even the bigger rucks and his recovery to the 2nd effort is a magnitude better than most rucks his size or bigger. So the opposition rucks start hanging onto him so that he can't join the chain of play, and if they do that too much he could win some frees if the umpires are switched on, a useful trick inside F50 in a tight game. A bit like Hawkins

A lot of this is down to SpecialK's ruck coaching skills, you can see it in all our guys who ruck now, none of them stop and watch they are looking to be a continuous part of play.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
DJC, you might be reaching a bit if you’re suggesting Shiel at 190 cm is a tall forward. Leaving aside that he’s a mid with few claims to being a forward, if 190 cm is tall, then we have a tall defender in Newman to put on him (187 cm). Likewise, Stringer (if he has recovered from a hamstring injury) plays as a big-bodied midfielder. If he stays in the forward line, that’ll be a win for us. He’ll need an athletic defender to lock him down rather than a lump like Durdin. So we’re down to Wright who is more noted as a leading forward rather than a Charlie Dixon monster key forward and a couple of rucks without much evidence of being pack markers. And Jones who may well become a contested marking option in the future but for now he feeds off uncontested marks on the run as he can’t cope with body contact. Do we play Durdin on the off-chance one of the ruckmen will have a day out or do we play a tall defender like Marchbank who is a much smarter footballer who knows the Carlton game plan?

Neither Shiel or Stringer are tall forwards Mav, but they would challenge our smaller defenders, particularly Stringer (if fit) with his strength and marking.  Ideally, you would play Plowman on Stringer (when he goes forward) and Newman on Shiel.  If Plowman is our second tall defender, he gets Draper/Phillips and Jones has Docherty or Stocker.  And it's not pack marking that's the main concern, it's not be able to win or kill one on one marking contests.

Marchbank has one and a quarter games more experience with our gameplan than Durdin has ... and Glenelg's defensive set up is quite similar to ours.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
And it's not pack marking that's the main concern, it's not be able to win or kill one on one marking contests.
That primarily a coached skill not an ability, although being able to read the flight of the ball is critical for early positioning, how the footy is delivered off the back of midfield pressure also has an impact. A good coaching panel can chip away at these little pieces of the puzzle to deliver an outcome, I have confidence in Voss.

However, if we get too focussed on defending I think we diminish our own strength, so I hope we do not go overboard in worrying about them so much that we forget what we are good at.

Let's see what the CheatsFC does with Stringer, Draper, Jones and Wright if we get a run on with Charlie, Cripps, SoJ and Kennedy pressing forward to mark the footy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Let’s not forget that their tall defenders are hardly top shelf. Laverde is their key defender and he’s just average at 193 cm. They have some taller guys like Reid and Ridley but they’re nowhere near elite.

Reply #20
I think Draper will be a problem player given he is that old fashioned type ruckman who wants body contact and likes to collect opposition players Neil Balme style, a real neanderthal in terms of modern football.
Shiel is rubbish and Luke Parker only indicated what everyone knows and thats if its a hard contested game you wont see much of Dylan on the inside putting his head over the ball.
Stringer will kick goals because we dont have anyone who ticks every box to play on him, Plowman can go with him overhead but Stringer has a decent ground game and is one of those inbetween players we often struggle to contain.
I reckon Sam Durdin has to play but I'd have him on the resting ruckman and start with Young on Wright and then make the move if Wright starts kicking goals.
If we can contain Parish and Merrett then I dont see Essendon bothering us too much and we want the game as contested as we can make it and not allowing Essendon to run free on the outside.
Charlie should have a picnic vs their rubbish defense, main concern for me is no more injuries and thats why I'd be wary of Draper who has that awkward look where he often disguises thug behavior with unco play.

Reply #21
Stringer (if he plays) will be the one Im concerned about. Seems to grow a leg against us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
Shiel should be arrested for fraud.  Utter trash player.  I'd also love a BOG from Saad ...

Reply #23
Shiel should be arrested for fraud.  Utter trash player.  I'd also love a BOG from Saad ...
Shiel was the best trade we never made, but as I have said before he was recruited for the wrong reason by EFC and that Dodoro's ego placed ahead of what they actually needed which was a genuine inside mid to lead their team. Shiel is an outside ball carrier but Dodo wanted a big recruiting win to show how good he was at his job and especially with us in the hunt too he thought he had a double win by beating us to Shiel. Dont know any Essendon supporter who was happy with that trade and the ongoing cost and salary cap chunk that Shiel created.They tried to beg Bevo for the contracted Dunkley to try and bandaid the problem but the Dogs held firm and its been fun watching such a large list management fail.

Reply #24
People have short memories it seems.  We are not flushed with talls and Cripps was doing the ruck work with Jsos as backup to Tom De Koning last week.

The Bombers rucks will give us a headache, and Durdin for me is a walk in start, because even if he doesnt set the house on fire, I dont want to tempt the Footy gods by talking about other players going down, but one key tall at each end with one ruckman means he becomes an automatic in.
Agree.

We have....
Charlie - forward
TDK - ruck
Young - back
and Jack as backup to all 3.

....and people are suggesting we don't quite need Durdin in the side? FMD. What happens if Young or TDK goes down??

Durdin plays.
I'd be playing Marchbank and Plowman as well.

That way we can have a traditional backline setup of 2 KPPs, a 3rd tall and a 'tall marking small' -Plowman.

Then we can use Jack as KP/ruck swapping with TDK both helping out Charlie.

To go in without Durdin is suicide.

Reply #25
Durdin needs to come in because 6 days later we might have to face Lynch and Reiwoldt.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #26
Shiel was the best trade we never made, but as I have said before he was recruited for the wrong reason by EFC and that Dodoro's ego placed ahead of what they actually needed which was a genuine inside mid to lead their team. Shiel is an outside ball carrier but Dodo wanted a big recruiting win to show how good he was at his job and especially with us in the hunt too he thought he had a double win by beating us to Shiel. Dont know any Essendon supporter who was happy with that trade and the ongoing cost and salary cap chunk that Shiel created.They tried to beg Bevo for the contracted Dunkley to try and bandaid the problem but the Dogs held firm and its been fun watching such a large list management fail.

I would be happy with Sheil on a wing in our side.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #27
If he took a pay cut, so would I.

Reply #28
Marchy playing.

Great news.