Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 138087 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #135
How many players would want to come to CFC having watched CFC show zero loyalty to players who have shown loyalty to it including Gibbs who could've gotten a crapload more $ elsewhere last year - I mean really imagine gutting the entire playing list - just bloody stupid.

Here's a thought - get a screwing coach that can get the best out of them!

Here's another thought - maybe we've already seen the best of them? Hell, they've been given plenty of opportunities, how many more will it take? Why would we want to keep on doing the same things that have been unsuccessful over a period of years? Also, changing the list and changing the coach are not mutually exclusive. It may need a combination of both.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #136
Having good leadership with little talent is probably going to land us exactly where having good talent with little leadership has.

Add gutting basically the entire club to that, along with our administration basically pushing members away and we may as well shut up shop.

Reply #137
Having good leadership with little talent is probably going to land us exactly where having good talent with little leadership has.

Add gutting basically the entire club to that, along with our administration basically pushing members away and we may as well shut up shop.

I haven't seen those proposals yet IOT.

Reply #138
We need a long term approach to change our standards and attitudes.

I said years ago, one of the best captaincy appointments was Richie Vandenberg. He took over from pretty boy Crawford.

Was he a great player? Far from it. But he was tough, even dirty at times, but he set a standard for his team mates. Tackling, chasing and squaring up when necessary.
Remember the line in the sand? That wasn't a game, it was a time. From that point on things were different. They may have lost a few players along the way but they never got stood over again.

We need to get some tough players throwing their weight around, and they need someone to lead the charge. Guys like Wood, Rowe, Casboult, White & Bell etc need to be enforcers, not only against the opposition but within our club. If team mates don't meet the standards set, let em know.

Reply #139
We need to get some tough players throwing their weight around, and they need someone to lead the charge. Guys like Wood, Rowe, Casboult, White & Bell etc need to be enforcers, not only against the opposition but within our club. If team mates don't meet the standards set, let em know.

I like your thinking JH  :)

There is a school of thought that you need someone like Carey, Nicholls, Whitten, Barassi or Matthews as captain to really inspire/frighten the team to perform at its best.  However, for better or worse, we've got Murphy (and I'm quite comfortable with that).  What that means is that there must be a team rule that no-one messes with Murphy and anyone who does is dealt with by Wood, Rowe, Casboult, White, Bell or the nearest player.

Lods mentioned the Chief sitting a bloke on his butt for trying to rough up Judd and that's probably the last time I've seen a Carlton player go out of their way to look after our captain. 

Murphy is not just a skillful midfielder, he is the club's chosen on field leader.  Opposition players set out to knock him off his game and to establish a physical dominance.  Anyone who tries that should learn that it is not a healthy thing to do.  It may take a few games, and possibly a week or two on the sidelines, but the lessons will have an impact.

The older folk will remember the day Vinny Waite took out Hawthorn's captain, David Parkin, with a pretty crude bump to the head.  Leigh Matthews smacked Vinny and I reckon Waite's headache was worse than Parko's.  Of course, you can't go around snotting blokes now, but you can still make them aware that our captain is off limits.  Parko was captain (and a very good one at that) but Matthews was a leader.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #140
How many players would want to come to CFC having watched CFC show zero loyalty to players who have shown loyalty to it including Gibbs who could've gotten a crapload more $ elsewhere last year - I mean really imagine gutting the entire playing list - just bloody stupid.

Well said.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #141

So would another coach (say hypothetically Clarkson) turn our current squad into players that are feared and respected by other teams?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #142
So would another coach (say hypothetically Clarkson) turn our current squad into players that are feared and respected by other teams?

An excellent question.

Reply #143

Without a shadow of doubt GiC, without a shadow of doubt!

As much as I despise the sniper, he and his assistants have instilled a culture of toughness and ruthlessness into the playing group.  That happened before they enjoyed premiership success and is a significant contributor to their success.

Our list is capable of much more than they are currently delivering and being harder is just one area.

Remember Yarran's comments about the first pre-season under Malthouse; he was pleased that they weren't doing full blown tackling in training because someone might get hurt?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #144

No chance. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #145
Without a shadow of doubt GiC, without a shadow of doubt!

As much as I despise the sniper, he and his assistants have instilled a culture of toughness and ruthlessness into the playing group.  That happened before they enjoyed premiership success and is a significant contributor to their success.

Our list is capable of much more than they are currently delivering and being harder is just one area.

Remember Yarran's comments about the first pre-season under Malthouse; he was pleased that they weren't doing full blown tackling in training because someone might get hurt?
Cannot disagree with you more on this. This group (barring Judd, White, Simpson and some of the newbies I haven't seen play yet) refuses to engage in physical contact and is as soft as butter. Jesus Christ couldn't get them to be tough and ruthless don't care what anyone says. I have seen enough in the last 4-5 years to tell me this mob just doesn't cut it in the hard/ruthless stakes. Middle of the road team at best.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #146
Cannot disagree with you more on this. This group (barring Judd, White, Simpson and some of the newbies I haven't seen play yet) refuses to engage in physical contact and is as soft as butter. Jesus Christ couldn't get them to be tough and ruthless don't care what anyone says. I have seen enough in the last 4-5 years to tell me this mob just doesn't cut it in the hard/ruthless stakes. Middle of the road team at best.

x2...been like it for a decade or more , we just cannot recruit players who can deliver a physical contest every week for 4 quarters...we need some harder players who can lead the way but
in todays football your hard players have to be skilled as well....not meatheads with no talent...

Reply #147
So it really sounds like we are looking to find the impossible. Other clubs find them or grow them. We can't do either. Typical case of "No guts, no glory", but on a talented level. Where do these kids hide is the key question ??
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #148

So already we're missing Robbo? :P

I've seen enough in the last two and a bit years to say that Mick isn't good enough and doesn't have the patience to turn this club around. You can't sack a whole team (albeit that is what Mick has attempted to do). Time to give someone with the patience and passion for turning our once great club around an opportunity and let the grumpy one retire with his millions. No doubt he will be straight back in the media crap canning our club. Have you ever thought of that?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #149
So already we're missing Robbo? :P

I've seen enough in the last two and a bit years to say that Mick isn't good enough and doesn't have the patience to turn this club around. You can't sack a whole team (albeit that is what Mick has attempted to do). Time to give someone with the patience and passion for turning our once great club around an opportunity and let the grumpy one retire with his millions. No doubt he will be straight back in the media crap canning our club. Have you ever thought of that?

Agree wholeheartedly.

How can it be the players again? It was the players in his first season now in the third season with half of our talented players either getting the hell away from him or being let go for nothing, it's still the players? At some point you've got to accept he was not and is not the right person for the job.

Constantly on this forum people write that he only has assistant coaches that he knows will not push him or stab him in the back - I'm all for loyalty but it seems this bloke puts himself first before the good of the club.

MM is quite clearly not inspiring these players - even if he has turned over half the list, there's no attitude change at all - we are as crap as we were two seasons ago!