Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 138115 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #165
We stuffed the sub up last week, we selected him to play the last quarter and it blew up in our faces.

I dont disagree with you, and I think the plan was to take off a tal for a small, and although it may have been a contributing factor to losing the match, it wasnt the sole reason why we did.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #166

Parkin was articulate as well as clear to the point of being brutal, he delivered some of the most clearly defined and intimidating messages I have ever heard! Yabbie Jeans was also in the same category. But those guys would get no respect from kids in AFL these days, the kids are too well trained into identifying bullying no matter how you dress it up or deliver it!

Problem is that players are too soft these days.  

Reply #167
I dont disagree with you, and I think the plan was to take off a tal for a small, and although it may have been a contributing factor to losing the match, it wasnt the sole reason why we did.

It was a huge factor. We won or broke even in all the contested footy stats but they smashed us on the rebound.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #168
Problem is that players are too soft these days.

You have to be careful with those descriptive terms, soft not in a physical strength or fitness sense, nor a gut running sense.

Softer in terms of not being bastards or brutes, no doubt that is true!

Hawthorn has Hodge, Lewis and others who seem to be bridging the gap between the new age players and the old world pricks! We have no-one like this, not one!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #169
It was a huge factor. We won or broke even in all the contested footy stats but they smashed us on the rebound.

I reckon we got burnt on the turnover at half forward too easily and thats where we lost.

I believe it was worth 4 goals to Richmond rather than 4 goals to us, and this is despite us playing poorly, forced to use the sub in the first quarter, and having another bloke playing through broken ribs.

IF our club embraced this as an issue to fix, we would start winning more games faster without having to improve overly other than making sure we hit our targets.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #170
I reckon we got burnt on the turnover at half forward too easily and thats where we lost.

We turn it over on our HF line because the slow game plan lets opposition clubs set up and wait for us to get there! They are setting up while we are touring the boundary line!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #171
We turn it over on our HF line because the slow game plan lets opposition clubs set up and wait for us to get there! They are setting up while we are touring the boundary line!

Either that or our so called A graders can't hit the side of a barn.

Reply #173

We have no A graders...judd murph and gibb are b plus to b unfortunately. ...

I reckon Parko is a pretty good judge and he says we have four; Judd, Murph, Gibbs and Simpson.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #174

Mate, it was far from ideal. But to suggest it cost us the game is BS.

There is almost never just '1 reason' why you lose a game.

Thomas injured.
Jaksch injured.
No 2nd ruck
Piss poor accuracy in front of goal.
Lack of communication between forward targets
Piss poor delivery to our forwards.
Lack of spread, run from our midfielders.

They were all things that cost us the game.

Reply #175
Mate, it was far from ideal. But to suggest it cost us the game is BS.

There is almost never just '1 reason' why you lose a game.

I agree but this was one of those times. The tigers were playing through whoever he was near because they knew he couldn't chase. I can't recall another game where we have allowed players to consistently run the ball down the wings like they did last week, it was embarrassing.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #176
I agree but this was one of those times. The tigers were playing through whoever he was near because they knew he couldn't chase. I can't recall another game where we have allowed players to consistently run the ball down the wings like they did last week, it was embarrassing.

Doesn't this beg the question of who the ^&*% was there to help him out ? A first gamer, called on well before he was supposed to, playing against a pretty decent running outfit, clearly lacking a decent tank, and not one of our "leaders" thinks "hmm, most of the Tigers play is going through our first gamer, he's completely rooted, maybe someone should give him a a chop out ? Surely they weren't playing to instruction ? Why wasn't this picked up in the coaches box ?

Reply #177
We have been complaining about the lack of on field leadership for some time now. Last week it was an issue. We had plenty of others as well: not working hard enough, structural issues, turning the ball over, etc. Well, the off field leaders have had a week to do something about it. They were probably no happier than we were. So, let's see what we can get. I really hope o see some of our issues addressed tonight. The conditions should help in a way: we can't kick any worse than we already do, while they can. Let's see if we can put enough pressure on them to reduce their skills to what we can cope with.
Then again, the Horse may learn how to sing....  ::) ::) ::) ;D
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #178
Doesn't this beg the question of who the ^&*% was there to help him out ? A first gamer, called on well before he was supposed to, playing against a pretty decent running outfit, clearly lacking a decent tank, and not one of our "leaders" thinks "hmm, most of the Tigers play is going through our first gamer, he's completely rooted, maybe someone should give him a a chop out ? Surely they weren't playing to instruction ? Why wasn't this picked up in the coaches box ?

Unfortunately in today's game everyone has to hold their own, if there is a weak link it will get exposed. The midfield tried to cover but when they did they hand balled or kicked over the top to the man they left. I'm not blaming the kid as it wasn't lack of effort, he physically couldn't run.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #179

Unfortunately in today's game everyone has to hold their own, if there is a weak link it will get exposed. The midfield tried to cover but when they did they hand balled or kicked over the top to the man they left. I'm not blaming the kid as it wasn't lack of effort, he physically couldn't run.

Yet a very public part of our game plan is to have players that can be used anywhere, in other words not in their preferred or most potent positions.

It's a standardisation plan and it sets a new level of mediocrity, you end up with the ground covered in players who are doing OK!

What we really need are players who excel!
The Force Awakens!