Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 138098 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #195
What continues to worry me is this;

We've heard rumors Murphy isn't right, he doesn't look right physically, we heard rumors Judd is sore as well, and other several rumors that certain blokes are borderline on the cut each week.

But when Murphy and Judd cop additional attention, the sort of attention that their status demands, as a playing group we don't seem to offer any assistance, almost nothing!

Since the arrival of Judd that is the way it has been, and that is the way it continues to be!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #196
I will stick my neck out...

Taking judd has prevented the development of leaders just like gazza at gold coast

Murph gibbs are too soft now and fall into bad habits when the heat is on.

Reply #197

Taking judd has prevented the development of leaders just like gazza at gold coast

Murph gibbs are too soft know and fall into bad habits when the heat is on.

Rubbish.

Those two are soft irrespective of one C. Judd.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #199

Murph gibbs are too soft now and fall into bad habits when the heat is on.

If what you postulate is true, then both Murph and Gibbs have questionable characters to begin with, and are probably not leadership material, irrespective of whether Judd came to the club or not. 

The footage in the WCE game during one of the breaks, showing Judd giving the troops a rev up rather than Murph, is worrying. Yes, it's only a tiny snippet, and I don't know what happens in the thousands of hours we don't see, but it's a disturbing snippet.

Reply #200
Most people on here, and everywhere else that I've spoken to, acknowledge that neither Murph nor Gibbs has any mongrel or fire in the belly. They are both talented footy players of course and ones that any club could gain great benefits from having on its list, but not in the leadership area.

I have nothing personal against these two, it is their individual natures, that's how they are wired. I would love to be proved wrong on this, this week especially.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #201
Most people on here, and everywhere else that I've spoken to, acknowledge that neither Murph nor Gibbs has any mongrel or fire in the belly. They are both talented footy players of course and ones that any club could gain great benefits from having on its list, but not in the leadership area.

I have nothing personal against these two, it is their individual natures, that's how they are wired. I would love to be proved wrong on this, this week especially.

So our solution to balance this equation is to get rid of Robbo, knowing we had already lost Duigan!

It's mis-management, it is not Murphy or Gibbs problem!

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but there are posters on here who would have required Craig Bradley to be a battering ram!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #202
So our solution to balance this equation is to get rid of Robbo, knowing we had already lost Duigan!

It's mis-management, it is not Murphy or Gibbs problem!

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but there are posters on here who would have required Craig Bradley to be a battering ram!

I hear what you say LP and I agree with the principle of what you are saying - we do not seem remotely competent in terms of playing guys to their strengths, but are very good of putting them into places where they can be more easily embarrassed or smashed physically. It's been happening for a long time.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #203
Name me one player who Robbo would respect enough to actually pull his head in if they told him to pull his head in?

I cant think of one.

Not one.  The result?  Anyone trying to get him to play differently would struggle.

Leading teams really would have tanked at our club.  I can't imagine our players having the gonads to actually tell their teamates what they are doing wrong, and I would expect that many of them would get defensive.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #204
There was one of those Q&A grabs of a few of our players including Murph and Gibbs in the Nab challenge where they ask silly questions like who has the worst fashion sense etc.... One question was asked which I think is telling to the players mentality. Who is the coaches pet? They all said Daisy which on face value is not surprising but considering that MM has acknowledged we are a team of introverts I'm sure a big part of him wanting Daisy here was for his voice and clearly even he is struggling to get through.

It's easy to have a go at him for his injury woes and struggles to find form but if he's been brought to this club as a premiership winning all Australian to help create a culture of hard work and a team first ethic, calling him "the Coaches pet" shows where we're at.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #205
Name me one player who Robbo would respect enough to actually pull his head in if they told him to pull his head in?

I cant think of one.

Not one.  The result?  Anyone trying to get him to play differently would struggle.

Leading teams really would have tanked at our club.  I can't imagine our players having the gonads to actually tell their teamates what they are doing wrong, and I would expect that many of them would get defensive.

Then it's a coaching / player development problem, because in a sample of 40 people there is no way you could randomly select a group of 100% introverts! ;)

FWIW, I think there are very few draftees who come into the system as extroverts, most spend the best part of their first year or two in awe of their team-mates and opponents. The system makes introverts, if you have a system that works!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #206
Question...can a captain be a soft player?.......do you pick a less talented but more robust player like Simon White instead...he would be our version of Nick Maxwell as an example...

Reply #207
Question...can a captain be a soft player?.......do you pick a less talented but more robust player like Simon White instead...he would be our version of Nick Maxwell as an example...

Tom Harley's another example.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #208

Not only do we break coaches....we even broke "Leading teams". :(
I wonder who let them go..... and why.