Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 138103 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #210
I think you have the wrong definition of soft!
I was towing the more robust, less talented line. I thought the soft reference was aimed at at Murphy
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #211
Tom Harley's another example.

Yep Harley was another good ordinary player......think Harley's appointment was more faction based...cats like most clubs had/have
a few groups within a group and he was a neutral so the factions were all happy to work under the one non aligned leader...
Maxwell grew into the role...not sure Murphy has shown signs of that yet...

Reply #212
ie soft....probably I mean less vocal, not able to step in and sort out other players when they are intimidating your teammates etc..
It wasnt  a slight at Murphys ability to put his head over the footy or win the footy in contests.....the facts are he is a little bloke with a baby face and
he has trouble asserting himself when rough stuff starts..
Not saying you have to be a thug and Murphy is capable of inspiring with his acts on the field but if you look at Luke Hodge .he is the complete package...can inspire with his footy skills but can also assert himself when needed and look after his teammates..

Reply #213
So our solution to balance this equation is to get rid of Robbo, knowing we had already lost Duigan!

It's mis-management, it is not Murphy or Gibbs problem!

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but there are posters on here who would have required Craig Bradley to be a battering ram!

we all know why robbo left....

duigan was an absolute gem for mine ...

Reply #214
ie soft....probably I mean less vocal, not able to step in and sort out other players when they are intimidating your teammates etc..
It wasnt  a slight at Murphys ability to put his head over the footy or win the footy in contests.....the facts are he is a little bloke with a baby face and
Not saying you have to be a thug and Murphy is capable of inspiring with his acts on the field but if you look at Luke Hodge .he is the complete package...can inspire with his footy skills but can also assert himself when needed and look after his teammates..

x1 or x 2 whatever u prefer

Reply #215

True, but there are few Hodges and he was well and truly in the shizen with reports, behavior issues, etc., etc., before the Mitchell era bought him time to settle after Vandenberg's departure! In an interview I recall him discussing the possibility he thought he might get the lemon-sars from Hawthorn at one stage, after some dispute with the Prez, coach or CEO, it was never in the press though! He credited Vandenberg, who at that stage had retired but was still mentoring, for setting him right!

Would we have axed him at Carlton? For sure it would have been front page!

People are judging Marc Murphy when he is clearly not fit, the same thing happened last season and by the end he was standing up as well as anybody even having endure that Hodge dog act! This is a kid who had his jaw wired and only missed one round, had multiple games ranking over 140 points(About eight 30 possession games!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #216
True, but there are few Hodges and he was well and truly in the shizen with reports, behavior issues, etc., etc., before the Mitchell era bought him time to settle after Vandenberg's departure! In an interview I recall him discussing the possibility he thought he might get the lemon-sars from Hawthorn at one stage, after some dispute with the Prez, coach or CEO, it was never in the press though! He credited Vandenberg, who at that stage had retired but was still mentoring, for setting him right!

Would we have axed him at Carlton? For sure it would have been front page!

People are judging Marc Murphy when he is clearly not fit, the same thing happened last season and by the end he was standing up as well as anybody even having endure that Hodge dog act! This is a kid who had his jaw wired and only missed one round, had multiple games ranking over 140 points(About eight 30 possession games!)

I'll put it another way....forgetting about ability, I think if Hodge had been in our team for rnd1 and rnd 2 we would have knocked over Richmond and only lost to WC by
 a couple of goals. I take your point about Murphy being injured but it would be fair to say Hodge has carried injuries for a lot of his career and still got the job done.
I would prefer a more robust captain and let Murphy get on with playing footy and winning us games with his skills...I dont think he can do both jobs...

Reply #217
I'll put it another way....forgetting about ability, I think if Hodge had been in our team for rnd1 and rnd 2 we would have knocked over Richmond and only lost to WC by
 a couple of goals. I take your point about Murphy being injured but it would be fair to say Hodge has carried injuries for a lot of his career and still got the job done.
I would prefer a more robust captain and let Murphy get on with playing footy and winning us games with his skills...I dont think he can do both jobs...

I accept that is the case but I am not sure you need that type of player to be the captain, but I agree whole heartedly that you need that type of player in your team!

A captain needs brains, communication skills, poise, what Hodge offers and what many good footballers offer doesn't normally come in the one package!

The question I would ask is this, if we had Hodge type players on our list could Murphy pull them into line, could he do a Vandenberg, I think leading by example is not enough.

Having said that, Garlett and Robinson's fate has surely sent a message, we may never know how much the leadership group had to do with it!

Does a leader need to be feared, by his own side as well as opponents?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #218

These are exactly my thoughts eb1.

On a side note, the Cotchin appointment at the Tiggies seems to me a carbon copy of the Murphy appointment

Reply #219
I accept that is the case but I am not sure you need that type of player to be the captain, but I agree whole heartedly that you need that type of player in your team!

A captain needs brains, communication skills, poise, what Hodge offers and what many good footballers offer doesn't normally come in the one package!

The question I would ask is this, if we had Hodge type players on our list could Murphy pull them into line, could he do a Vandenberg, I think leading by example is not enough.

Having said that, Garlett and Robinson's fate has surely sent a message, we may never know how much the leadership group had to do with it!

Does a leader need to be feared, by his own side as well as opponents?

I think a leader needs to be feared ..re: Robbo and Garlett....think thats a leadership group issue where a strong leader also needs some strong deputies to back him up and
you cant get on with everyone but maybe one of your deputies gets on with some players that you dont and can impart the message better..

Reply #220
Who the hell was scared of Garlett?
Long bow?

And as for Robbo, why don't we just go down the pub on a friday night and pick up the last bloke standing and whack a (c) next to his name.

Reply #221
If he could stay on the park for more than 30 seconds, Krooz would be well worth a look as Captain.

Reply #222
Who the hell was scared of Garlett?
Long bow?.

You need to account for mobile phones typing when reading forums nowadays ;)

We should punish limp efforts with the same degree as we do off field stuff. I've gotten far more crap for our heartless performances than for Robbo or Scotto bopping some muppet  :))

Reply #223
And as for Malthouse, why don't we just go down the pub on a friday night and pick up the last bloke standing and whack a (coach) next to his name.

Edited for accuracy.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #224
Fair comment, probably get similar results at the moment.