Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats (Read 18368 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats

Essendon have some injuries and we don't know how to win. This game could be embarrassing.
I hate to think that the Drug Cheats will beat us, but we just don't know how to win, we make too many mistakes, the Umpires kill us and our coach is poor on match days. Things bode poorly. :( 
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats

Reply #1
This game could be the first nil all draw in history.

Reply #2
This game could be the first nil all draw in history.
I could live with a draw. I just can't see us getting one. Even with them ripe for beating.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
The big issue is that with the player meeting last week they've played a trump and it's been beaten by a joker.

What does that leave them with in terms of motivation.
By all expectations they would/should have brought their best efforts today...but it's fallen short.
It will be huge challenge to follow up.
It will be a huge effort if they get up.

Reply #4
The big issue is that with the player meeting last week they've played a trump and it's been beaten by a joker.

What does that leave them with in terms of motivation.
By all expectations they would/should have brought their best efforts today...but it's fallen short.
It will be huge challenge to follow up.
It will be a huge effort if they get up.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I think we got caught up too much in the bravado today.  It actually helped us lose focus in the second quarter (I forget the specifics).

What I do think is that this is one part of a macro problem we are aiming to solve, about setting standards regarding going into bat for each other on game day which is a team building exercise in itself and IMHO based on this game we have some work to do on it regarding tidying it up.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Maybe.

Maybe not.

I think we got caught up too much in the bravado today.  It actually helped us lose focus in the second quarter (I forget the specifics).

What I do think is that this is one part of a macro problem we are aiming to solve, about setting standards regarding going into bat for each other on game day which is a team building exercise in itself and IMHO based on this game we have some work to do on it regarding tidying it up.

I think you're right about the focus loss and that indicates to me that the 'flying the flag' may have been artificial and manufactured rather than instinctive.
They'd talked all week about sticking up for one another so when one went down it was more "Oh, I need to get involved here, get over to the huddle and be seen to be doing something" ...rather than a natural instinctive reaction.

If it happens all the time from this point on we'll know it's a valid response.
We need it to be the natural thing to do.

Reply #6
My prediction.  Cheats win,  and the most abject umpiring display in history.   Gotta make up for the Rampe call,  here comes the AFL's patsy club to pay yet more rent...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
I think you're right about the focus loss and that indicates to me that the 'flying the flag' may have been artificial and manufactured rather than instinctive.
They'd talked all week about sticking up for one another so when one went down it was more "Oh, I need to get involved here, get over to the huddle and be seen to be doing something" ...rather than a natural reaction.

That's just it though lods.

We are what we repeatedly do.  What comes naturally for some, might need to become a habit.  We took a step towards that today. 

In the words of Aristotle.

We are what we repeatedly do.  Therefore excellence isn't an act, it's a habit.

The same applies to discipline, aggression, instincts are simply learned behaviours.  Our kids are learning those behaviours now.

Think about information overload.  Our 2015 crop are coming along now because they are no longer having to learn it all.  Now it's about refinement and honing.  The application of acquired knowledge.

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
That's just it though lods.

We are what we repeatedly do.  What comes naturally for some, might need to become a habit.  We took a step towards that today. 

In the words of Aristotle.

We are what we repeatedly do.  Therefore excellence isn't an act, it's a habit.

The same applies to discipline, aggression, instincts are simply learned behaviours.  Our kids are learning those behaviours now.

Think about information overload.  Our 2015 crop are coming along now because they are no longer having to learn it all.  Now it's about refinement and honing.  The application of acquired knowledge.

That's fair enough but that just gives us another major deficiency that needs work.
It's an area that seems to not count for much in recruiting...strangely Jack Silvagni is one that has been prepared to fly the flag from day 1.

Reply #9
Almost any game can be considered a dangerous battle to walk into. Bombers are wrecked in terms of injury to players that can win games off their own boot. Then again they can behave like a little feral rodent pushed into a corner and bite back hard with anger. I keep thinking lost in space. That robot Will Had. Danger, danger, warning, warning Will Robinson. I hope it leaves my head before this next game. Losing this game and then the Bulldogs game isn’t impossible. I hope it doesn’t become reality.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #10
That's fair enough but that just gives us another major deficiency that needs work.
It's an area that seems to not count for much in recruiting...strangely Jack Silvagni is one that has been prepared to fly the flag from day 1.

He is a Silvagni.

Most of this stuff will all come together at the same time for most of our kids.  The problem with going so young and not having the cattle to bring in and out is that the kids confidence have been hit but we need them to work through that in the ones.  Weitering went back to the vfl and came back with much more confidence.

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
At this stage Drugcheats look like they'll be without Stringer and Sheil.
That's a fair injury list with Smith (one of their best imo), Joe at al.

Seriously. If we can't win against them. I really can't see us off 1 win and another unenviable spoon.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #12
At this stage Drugcheats look like they'll be without Stringer and Sheil.
That's a fair injury list with Smith (one of their best imo), Joe at al.

Seriously. If we can't win against them. I really can't see us off 1 win and another unenviable spoon.

Go Blues

Should be a % builder for us. Sheil, Smith and Daniher missing really hamstrings them, plus I don't think they've got a good minder to quell Crippa. And Whoosher, like our bloke, isn't performing too well in the coach's box.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #13
 Couldn't possibly lose to the Essendon reserves.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #14
Be interesting if both teams play their new mid season recruits and given where they play they might play on each other...both are players picked to play now
and we might get an idea on how desperate each coach is.