Skip to main content
Topic: Building the women's team (Read 4116 times) previous topic - next topic

Building the women's team

According to today's Age, we lodged our five-player marquee wish-list with the AFL last week and we have prioritised former international goalkeeper Brianna Davey.  New coach Damien Keeping identified Davey as a priority after standout performances with the St Kilda Sharks in the VWFL.

Collingwood was interested in Davey but it seems that we have secured her services with the offer of a three days a week community role.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Building the women's team

Reply #1
According to today's Age, we lodged our five-player marquee wish-list with the AFL last week and we have prioritised former international goalkeeper Brianna Davey.  New coach Damien Keeping identified Davey as a priority after standout performances with the St Kilda Sharks in the VWFL.

Collingwood was interested in Davey but it seems that we have secured her services with the offer of a three days a week community role.

Great get if we land her.

Skilled, hard at it.
Can play back, forward & mid (big tank). Great tackler and even harder to tackle.

Well spoken and very professional.

Reply #2
Any word n1ip?

Reply #3
Any word n1ip?

If ur referring to Chachi, I'm afraid were still in the dark.
The doggies have met with her and some other doggies and they have kept them in the loop with their intentions and the goings on, but nothing concrete ATM.
Say their keen to retain.

Davey going to CFC may actually assist that endeavour.

She'd be happy to play anywhere but if not the doggies the CFC would be her prefered.

We'll know more when the AFL & Clubs name the Marquee Players later this month.

ON CFC if we've snagged Davey & Vescio then the club has done well.
Both young, talented, versatile and present very well.
Vescio has some x factor as well. Loves a specky.
Can build a team around these girls.

Reply #4
The doggies have met with her and some other doggies and they have kept them in the loop with their intentions and the goings on, but nothing concrete ATM.

She'd be happy to play anywhere but if not the doggies the CFC would be her prefered.

No1 I know Steph loves the Doggies and hopes to remain there, no disrespect to her but I am gonna be really selfish here and hope for 2 things:
1. The Bullies dump her;
2. Her beloved Blues snaffle her up in a heartbeat so she can don that beautiful Navy Blue Guernsey and do it proud. ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
No1 I know Steph loves the Doggies and hopes to remain there, no disrespect to her but I am gonna be really selfish here and hope for 2 things:
1. The Bullies dump her;
2. Her beloved Blues snaffle her up in a heartbeat so she can don that beautiful Navy Blue Guernsey and do it proud. ;)

We'll try Compare!  O:-)

Reply #6
Seems a pretty drawn out process, I suppose clubs had to wait for coaches before they could finalise the top guns.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7

Why have we submitted our marquee player list already if you have until the end of the month?

Thanks for the update

Reply #8
Why have we submitted our marquee player list already if you have until the end of the month?

Thanks for the update

My understanding is that each club had to give the AFL a list of 5 players (in order of preference) that they would like to be marquee players for their club.

The AFL then looks at the requests and I think will talk to the players and get their feedback & address any issues that may arise (i.e. is a player prepred tomove interstate, etc...)
The AFL wants to spread the talent, take into account the geographical/living away from home issue issues etc...

At some point the AFL will then decide the marquee players for each club. This is mooted to be mid to late July.

After that the clubs will enter the draft and build their lists based on a yet to be decided draft order & rules. This I think occurs in October.

Pre-season for the squads will commence in December.