Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast on the Gold Coast (Read 6158 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast on the Gold Coast

Reply #15
Exactly. And we have a history of doing just that. 1% less focus and commitment, and we'll be chasing clacker. Our focus should be to be more ferocious and for longer.

We take GCS lightly at our peril. In fact, our coaching group should be impressing upon the playing group that we must improve more. Too often sides pick up from where they left off... and we dropped in critical areas in half the third qtr and too much of the final quarter against Freo.

It's all about maturity.

Are we mature enough to back up from the Freo game in terms of intensity and consistency of effort/output?

Let's hope so. We're not a young team any more and we're out of excuses.

It's a must win. Might get us into the 8?

Certainly think a guy like Williams (presuming fit to play) has much upside.

Ditto, the likes of young Parks and Cottrell (sp?). Even Paddy D....

Samo and Doc both had MUCH better games. The opposition seemed intent on stopping Saad, which freed up Doc.

The team looked far better balanced with a crop of hard at it guys - JSOS, Cottrell, Fogarty. And Crippa showing a bit of c%$# for the first time in a long time...

Even though JSOS missed a couple of sitters, his impact was noticeable. Looks to have gained  yard too?

Bett's experience up forward cannot be underestimated.

We have no one forward with the experience that Eddie has.....

Betts had few stats but was a constant gnat all game. Certainly did his job.

Blues by plenty.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast on the Gold Coast

Reply #16
After a game like that, the danger for us is thinking we've won already
This game will be a big test for us. We must back up that good win and do it in style.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
It is us who should intimidate them, not the other way 'round.  Do that, we win.

No room for failure.  Not worried either

Reply #18
GC are not as bad as people make out, become too complacent and we will get burnt.

Especially when teams look very different due to injury, sheepish coaches do not know how to deal with them and often get caught off-guard.

They look a bit like us over the last couple of years, they are playing 85% good footy and having 5 or 10 minute lapses that cost them the game. They surrendered a 4 or 5 goal lead against the Crows just before 1/2-time, then regained the lead twice in the second half to lose by 2 goals.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Stocker in for Dow for me.

I hope we don't get tempted to bring McGovern straight in....done nothing for two years....one game in the VFL on managed minutes shouldn't be enough for him. Silvagni is offering plenty up forward at the moment with his marking and pressure....something McGovern does not much of.

If Casboult is to go out, I'd rather bring McDonald in...he's a better option as backup ruckman rather than risking McKay or Jones in there.

Reply #20
Stocker in for Dow for me.

I hope we don't get tempted to bring McGovern straight in....done nothing for two years....one game in the VFL on managed minutes shouldn't be enough for him. Silvagni is offering plenty up forward at the moment with his marking and pressure....something McGovern does not much of.

If Casboult is to go out, I'd rather bring McDonald in...he's a better option as backup ruckman rather than risking McKay or Jones in there.

Generally agree but maybe Paddy deserves one more week? Line ball imo.

Reply #21
Given its GC I'd be giving Dow another game, maybe if has an average game I'd be inclined to give him a break vs Port where its going to be harder and any errors highlighted more.

Reply #22
Last chance for awhile for Dow I reckon then. We absolutely smashed Freo through the midfield and around the ground....our midfielders (Cripps, Walsh, Fogarty, Curnow etc) were prolific...except Dow. He just can't seem to get near it and still appears to lack some footy smarts at times. Even without Rowell, GC still have some quality players through the middle.

Good chance for Parks to back it up this weekend.....could be a good match up for Sexton who has torched us a few times. I liked the look of him on the weekend and could be a natural replacement for Marchbank who I reckon gets a line drawn through his name now. He'd need to show solid VFL form for at least 6 weeks without getting injured before an AFL call up.

Reply #23
Can't get a read on Dow, just do not know what is wrong with him, did he cop and injury in the last pre-season game because from that final siren his form evaporated?

Stage fright?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24

I thought Paddy was reasonable and put in on Sunday, even though he didn't get the ball much.  He could be (crosses fingers...) one of these 'slow burn' players who needs experience and consistent game time to elevate himself to the next level, but in the end becomes an absolute gem.  If we drop him every time he doesn't get 20 touches, it will be back to the start.  Given our midfield is a work in progress, I would prefer to see him have another 4-5 games at least - if he hasn't progressed by then, at least we will know.

Going back a ways, as a young kid, I can remember watching Bruce Doull play for his first three years and the general consensus among those sitting around me at the time was that he was a very average performer.  Then he moved from #4 to #11 (out of a sense of 'I'm not worthy') and the rest is history.  Maybe Paddy should cash in his #2 (which must weigh very heavily on his back) and find a non-descript number like #38..... 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #25
Going back a ways, as a young kid, I can remember watching Bruce Doull play for his first three years and the general consensus among those sitting around me at the time was that he was a very average performer.  Then he moved from #4 to #11 (out of a sense of 'I'm not worthy') and the rest is history. 

I heard it from a senior committee man at the time that he was given #11, didn't want it due to comparisons to John Goold, played a ripper next game in that jumper and it stayed.

Reply #26
@ Tonyo

Hear what you say. I'm really torn with Paddy. We certainly don't want to write him off too early and some other club turns him into a star or even just a good solid and reliable player. Worse still he drifts off into a state league.

Reply #27
Into his 4th season now....it's pretty cut throat so the club will have to decide at some point whether he's going to make it. Fogarty has leapfrogged him already in just his 3rd game for the club.

Reply #28
Yep, this must be his make or break year.

Reply #29
True, albeit Season 3 was a total wipe off.  Prior to one pre-season game and the first three this year, he hasn't played competitive footy at any level for over 18 months.  We will know by the end of this season if he is a keeper.

I just hate the thought that someone like Clarkson or Buckley will turn him into a gun.

Simple fact is, CFC does still not know how to develop young players.  It's really irritating to see the young Swans, Bombers, Demons doing such great things in their first few games, while so many of our high draft picks (other than Walsh) scratch around for 2 or 3 years and inevitably end up getting delisted and playing for Port Melbourne or Williamstown.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?