Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday) (Read 22136 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday)

Reply #30
Short of significant injury issues with players, what is the point of picking 30 blokes then culling 4 of them 90 minutes before the game?

Take Stocker for example, why put him in the 30 if you then cull the kid....or Fas for that matter (or any of them really)

Hardly good for the psyche?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #31
Short of significant injury issues with players, what is the point of picking 30 blokes then culling 4 of them 90 minutes before the game?

Take Stocker for example, why put him in the 30 if you then cull the kid....or Fas for that matter (or any of them really)

I suspect that the players know whether they will be taking the field or providing injury cover.  How often do you hear a surprise, last minute selection say, "Bolts told me I was playing on Thursday"? The 30 man squad is just to maintain supporter interest and keep the opposition guessing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32

Weather, final training sessions, unexpected health issues, there are any number of reasons to name squads like this well out from game day.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33

Sometimes its a test of character.  Find out if blokes are willing to do whats best for themselves, or whats best for the team.

Other times its to maximise the players conditioning.  I.e. Stocker has been told he needs to lift his physical fitness.  Why play him for half a game against the Pies when he could play 4 quarters with the Northern Blues??  Yes the intensity is different, but he would benefit from playing 4 quarters more than he would 2, unless we are simply testing him out at the level.  Even so, with that sort of question mark over his head, he is minimum 3 months away from playing AFL unless something drastic occurs requiring us to select him.

From here, the pecking order surrounding senior spots will already have somewhat formed.  This is why there are 30 blokes chosen for JLT, to keep everyone hungry and pressing for spots for round 1.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
No Kennedy
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-03-10/blues-update-jlt-2-squad

Fas and Stocker playing - surprise, surprise!

Fasolo is currently playing for the NBs. Early 2nd qtr, had 7 touches early in the 2nd qtr and a goal. We lead 26-18 at half time.

Reply #37
NBs and Collingwood drew 46 each. Levi kicked 3 and hit the post with a left foot snap on the siren. We led by 21pts just before 3/4 time.

Reply #38
NBs and Collingwood drew 46 each. Levi kicked 3 and hit the post with a left foot snap on the siren. We led by 21pts just before 3/4 time.

On the final siren?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #39

On the final siren?

Sounds like Casboult snapped on the left just about on it. He played in defence in the first half then went forward when we had the wind in the 3rd qtr and kicked 3.

Reply #40
At the moment the out-of-control fires are up around Maffra and Crooked River, well east of Morwell. However if the SE change late today/tomorrow is strong enough it could fan fires around Yinnar South would send them toward Morwell East/Churchill/Traralgon. But with rain also forecast for the area you'd think it unlikely they'd move the game.

At this stage we're planning to head to the game. Anyone else thinking of going? Reckon Chalky might be a chance.
You would not believe it!  I am away on a caravan holiday ! >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  And I have to find a pub/club that has Foxtel and is willing to forego the rugby  >:D  :'(  >:D  :'(  >:D  :'(  >:D  :'(

Reply #41
Just praying for no injuries.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
Do we have shares in a tape company? So many of our blokes are taped up, young stocker has some Cripps like strapping around his knee.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
Just watching the first five minutes today, I see nothing much has changed. Setterfield marks about 43 metres out from goal in the first two minutes. Plays on looking for pPhillips in the goal square who has opponents around him.
Why wouldn't the training and so called mysterious game plan over the pre-season have been, when you take a mark inside the 50 metre arc, go back, take the responsibility, and have a shot for goal.

Reply #44
Mackay, sorry if I have spelled it incorrectly, has got a major problem. In the last game against Essendon and so far today, albeit that it's still early, he has major problems taking a contested mark.

If he can't overcome that issue, he won't make it in the long term.