Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 List Changes (Read 19497 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 List Changes

Reply #90
Signing for 2 years has only just been allowed in the past 2 weeks. So whatever noise there was, went away. Pretty sure expansion clubs (the next lot not in yet) wouldn't allow that either.

Fair enough, it was only first round picks that I heard it suggested for anyway, so clubs could not monopolize whole drafts years and you still have to get the pick right, which is far from a science!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Fair enough, it was only first round picks that I heard it suggested for anyway, so clubs could not monopolize whole drafts years and you still have to get the pick right, which is far from a science!

Well we drafted Maddie Prespakis in the first round last year, and this year she was out of contract and we signed up for 2 more.

So, again, it never came in.

Reply #92
I appreciate that.

I don't see why clubs would bother to invest in players if they can't sign them for more than a year, so the change was inevitable!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Bri Davey is officially a magpies player.  >:(

A deal involving swapping of 6 picks.

Details to come...

Reply #94
So in order to get Bri Davey the pies have sold the farm.

Pies have given up their first 4, yes FOUR, picks in the draft (Pick 2, 26, 44, 59) and we've given them back picks we basically won't have to use now (67 and 82.)

Good work at the trade table baggers.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out Bri.
She was a fan of 'Da Bears' anyway and i can't allow that.

Reply #95
Well that is basically it, if you do not want to be here you do not have to stay, Davey is no different to Henderson in this regard!

I hope this inspires the remainder of our list to bigger and better things!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
We now seem to have a lot of picks in the draft, how many list spots do we still have available? Any chance we'll package up some of these picks and trade for a player?

Reply #97
We now seem to have a lot of picks in the draft, how many list spots do we still have available? Any chance we'll package up some of these picks and trade for a player?

Yes of course, and I think six changes are the bare minimum.

But the rules keep changing so I'm not certain when commenting on AFLW, plus as Kruddler pointed out the AFL make it up as they go! For example an extreme case, if we wanted to trade a bunch of picks to Nthmond for Katie Brennan, I wouldn't be surprised that the AFL kibosh such a move yet I don;t see how there can be a formal rule against it! It's not like drafting a kid and trading them straight away, Brennan is an old hand!

Would we give Daisy Pearce a spot for 2020, she's a long long time Navy Blue?

Is there any confirmation yet of how the next season will play out? If as rumored it moves to be coincident with the mens season it means an 18 month off-season!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
I'm going to make an afl w prediction.

The girls are going to be less desired long term as each new batch of draftees comes in due to the work being done to get them up to draft age.  Each generation will be much better than the one that came before it .
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #99

The girls are going to be less desired long term as each new batch of draftees comes in due to the work being done to get them up to draft age.  Each generation will be much better than the one that came before it .

You mean like Walsh, or pretty much any GWS draftee for the last 5 years? ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
You mean like Walsh, or pretty much any GWS draftee for the last 5 years? ;D

The mens game is a bit different.  The boys have been preparing for an afl career their whole lives.

The woman's game didn't.  There wasnt an elite level to prepare for 5 years ago.  3 years ago there was.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #101
The mens game is a bit different.  The boys have been preparing for an afl career their whole lives.

The woman's game didn't.  There wasnt an elite level to prepare for 5 years ago.  3 years ago there was.

I appreciate that, but the concept is of diminishing returns for the AFLW, it'll be like the lads within 3 or 4 years when the current crop of 13 year olds become draftees!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102

Prediction? We're already seeing it now.

Each AFLW list is getting younger and younger with more draftees overtaking the originals.

Reply #103
Yes of course, and I think six changes are the bare minimum.

But the rules keep changing so I'm not certain when commenting on AFLW, plus as Kruddler pointed out the AFL make it up as they go! For example an extreme case, if we wanted to trade a bunch of picks to Nthmond for Katie Brennan, I wouldn't be surprised that the AFL kibosh such a move yet I don;t see how there can be a formal rule against it! It's not like drafting a kid and trading them straight away, Brennan is an old hand!

Would we give Daisy Pearce a spot for 2020, she's a long long time Navy Blue?

Is there any confirmation yet of how the next season will play out? If as rumored it moves to be coincident with the mens season it means an 18 month off-season!

Pretty sure Daisy Pearce can go straight back on the Melbourne list....but you can ask. She is already back down to her playing weight after giving birth (to twins?) earlier this year. You can ask the question of her though.

As for the AFL kibopshing the KB trade you suggest, they would. But thats because she's now at the Tigers, not the kangas.  :P

Reply #104

Every AFLW club can have a list of 30 players on it.
Up to this point in time, you could only sign up to 22 players (we have signed 21)
So we now have 9 spots available on our list, 1 more than the minimum.

Trade period finishes today, so if there are any moves we wanna make, we gotta get in quick.

There is also a free agency period that opened today and will last until Tuesday. I suspect we will pick up a delisted free agent we like the look of. Could be worth giving Mo Hope a gig. Might slot in nicely next to Harris and Vescio up forward and allow her the 3rd defender rather than the 1st or 2nd as she's had to deal with thus far.

Currently we have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft. Two in each of the first 3 rounds, and one in the 4th.
I susecpt we will use 6 picks. Meaning we'll sign up 3 players between now and then.

1 DFA - Hope?
1 or 2 'converts' ala Dalton + Walker from rugby 7's.
6 or 7 kids at the draft.