Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47185 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #285
That's the beauty of Walsh.  You'd only need to tell him once.  Very "old school" in that regard.

Great to see such a young guy with such qualities - gladdens the heart of an old bloke.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #286
Will Notre Dame be rebuilt before we finish our rebuild? :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #287
O’meara 26 possies at 53% at half time. Blues up by 36 points. But yep should have tagged him.

Reply #288
O’meara 26 possies at 53% at half time. Blues up by 36 points. But yep should have tagged him.

Shh....Jeffy, keep it to yourself. Word about is that the coaches don't know what they're doing. The fix is in my friend. We need a real coach, one that can overcome the Carlton Coach Killer Vortex™.

Reply #289
The thing that kills me with these types of games is the narrative that can be written around them.  There have been bigger comebacks in bigger games so, from Hawthorn's perpective, it would be asking for trouble to make more of it than is deserved. Clarkson pitched his post-match perfectly by downplayng it, just a little - after all, it was only Carlton. He didn't need to use these words and that's what eats away at me. It has been the sub-text now for nearly 20 years. "Only Carlton"  ::)

Flip the game on it's head and I know I'd be comparing it to the Rumble in the Jungle. One world weary protoganist with not only undeniable talent and skill, but also supremely confident with an innate sense of self-belief. Aaaaand in the other corner is ... Carlton. They "roped-a-doped" us, sat back and watched, midly bemused, as we landed only enough blows to shake them from their lethargy.  We can sting but we can't kill. This is the narrative that has to change.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #290
The thing that kills me with these types of games is the narrative that can be written around them.  There have been bigger comebacks in bigger games so, from Hawthorn's perpective, it would be asking for trouble to make more of it than is deserved. Clarkson pitched his post-match perfectly by downplayng it, just a little - after all, it was only Carlton. He didn't need to use these words and that's what eats away at me. It has been the sub-text now for nearly 20 years. "Only Carlton"  ::)

Flip the game on it's head and I know I'd be comparing it to the Rumble in the Jungle. One world weary protoganist with not only undeniable talent and skill, but also supremely confident with an innate sense of self-belief. Aaaaand in the other corner is ... Carlton. They "roped-a-doped" us, sat back and watched, midly bemused, as we landed only enough blows to shake them from their lethargy.  We can sting but we can't kill. This is the narrative that has to change.

I think he knows they were lucky to win. If Harry marks 5 seconds earlier and kicks the goal..............

He was on the edge of his seat until the siren. I don't think there was any moment in the game when he felt comfortable.

At least that's my take on it.

Reply #291

I think that comes with time.

On the Dawks future, if they fail to attract the big names they are in for a world of pain, there list is heading in the wrong direction! They are behaving like we behaved in the late 80s, early 90s, it'll only ever deliver very short term success.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #292
I think that comes with time.

On the Dawks future, if they fail to attract the big names they are in for a world of pain, there list is heading in the wrong direction! They are behaving like we behaved in the late 80s, early 90s, it'll only ever deliver very short term success.

Nah they're ok.  Its alarmist to think otherwise.  They only have 9 players on their senior list over 30, of which at least 3 didn't play against us yesterday and the ones that did have a year or two left.

Their best player (shiels) yesterday is only 28. 

By contrast two of our thirty plus year olds broke down mid game yesterday and we went from chocolates to boiled lollies.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #293
Their best player (shiels) yesterday is only 28.

I was going to post the media going ape crap over O'Meara, but it was Shiels who won them the game.

Shiels came good when O'Meara went missing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #294
How good is Marc Murphy? Wow!

We should petition the club for a bronze statue of him outside the club in lieu of his courageous and skillful contributions over the past decade or so. I'd also like a never ending video loop on a screen below the statue showing him at his best. You know, things like:

- Avoiding all contact when he is presented with any opposition player large or small in his vicinity
- Shanking his kicks and missing every target by either kicking it over their head or missing either side by at least 3-4 metres
- Scrubbing a shot for goal along the ground when the opportunity presents itself to a kick a goal to win the game
- Looping his kicks so they take an eternity to reach the intended target giving the opposition ample time to spoil
- And my personal favourite, why kick a drop punt for goal from 35 metres directly in front when you can do a right foot banana and kick it out on the full. Show boating like the champion he is! He never misses an opportunity to show the world what he's got in that endless bag of tricks of his.

Ahhhh, classic Marc! Skills galore and loves to showcase them to all and sundry every week.

Thanks Marc! You're a wonder!

Nicely measured that time Spanner. I enjoy your work now.

Reply #295
The control we had in the game should have led  to a bigger lead at half time, Omeara kept them in the game and kept winning the ball against the odds which helped
keep them in reasonable touch at half time.
I think most of us who have been watching footy for a while knew Hawthorn would come at us  and that 5-6 goals wasnt enough.
I heard the same waffle last time we played Hawthorn and Mitchell was untagged and BOG again......his possies dont count, he isnt damaging etc etc yet he got the three brownlow votes. Again I hear the faithful cry that Rockliff didnt hurt us in the Port game...surprise surprise another 40 possie game after he racked up 44 the previous week and helped Port win the game....yet again he ran around like he had Ebola without an opponent, who else would let that happen after his previous outing netted him 44 possies.

Are we slow learners?.........I hear the excuse but it will take a player like Ed Curnow out of the game and reduce his effectiveness :o...well Ed hasnt been overly effective at half forward apart from one game where he fluked a few goals. I dont see GWS playing DeBeor at half forward, he plays on the opposition best players and takes them down allowing his more talented mates an easier time.

Its like letting Steph Curry from Golden State just waltz up to the three point line 20 times a game and have free shots without a hand in his face.....

re: Coaches votes....OMeara 10 votes.......

Reply #296
Been saying it all year EB about Ed Curnow. If we're relying on him to be our small/medium goal kicking forward (when precise disposal by foot has never been his strong point), then we're not doing it right. His best value to us has always been his run-with ability on the best opposition midfielders. Cotchin got BOG from most media experts in Round 1 too, on top of Rockliff and now O'Meara.

Cunningham and Gibbons can play that role.

Will be interesting to see if anyone goes with Higgins this week (assuming he's fit to play). He's killed us in the past too.

Reply #297
In every game this year, we have had one really bad patch of 20-30 mins.  We were lucky against the Bulldogs last week - their kicking for goal in the third quarter was so bad that we still had a reasonable lead at 3/4 time.

Consistency is the biggest enemy of young teams.

Message at half time yesterday should have been 'work like hell to kick the first two goals in the second half' - instead it looked more like 'make sure you hang on to the lead'.

To be frank , the missed opportunity was the last half of the second quarter.  Found themselves 6 goals up 15 minutes in and it was a bit of a coast into half time.    If the gap is 9 or 10 at half time, game is over.

Never give a sucker a sniff.  When you are 5 goals in front, play like your are two goals behind.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #298
I got caned yesterday for suggesting that Shield had a good game.  Must have been watching a different game to some people.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #299
I got caned yesterday for suggesting that Shield had a good game.  Must have been watching a different game to some people.

We've not a small forward in the club that can match Shiels effectiveness.

Yet, Shiels is the sort of player that will get pushed out by the Dawks when they try to take on other big trade targets, so please Carlton keep your ear to the ground.
The Force Awakens!