Skip to main content
Topic: RD 12 : Blues Robbed By Cats (Despair & Teeth-Grinding) (Read 54078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 12 : Blues Robbed By Cats (Despair & Teeth-Grinding)

Reply #120
Runner interference.... no free kick.

So the umpires got it wrong a couple of weeks ago when they paid a couple of free kicks to Geelong against the Freo runner?

Said it had no impact on the play, as it was a stoppage. Clearly impacted the player (and the actual rule talks about player interference )and runners should not be allowed that close to a stoppage. Blatant cheating for mine.

Should be suspended or fined.

Reply #121
lEVI HAS PLAYED 24 SENIOR GAMES IN HIS CAREER - KIVE THE 199CM, 104KG KID A BREAK.....

how long did it take Hawkins to get an act ffs.

Plenty of other out there last night who should be looked at before Levi.....

Casboult is 24, when Hawkins was 24 he went within a whisker of a Norm Smith Medal.
In his first 19 games Hawkins kicked 25.15, over his career to date he's kicked 250.140 converting at about 64%, Fevola converted at about 61% over his career.
Levi is converting at about 40% so far, not counting the out of bounds and those that pull up short like the one that Warnock marked last night.
Levi wasn't our worst last night but any thoughts that he'll turn it all around with more experience is just wishful thinking in my opinion, he's 24 years old and has been in the AFL system for 4 or 5 years, what you see is what you get.
Any comparisons between Hawkins and Casboult are as crazy as the comparisons that were made between Hampson and Natanui three or four years ago.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #122
The hardest thing to swallow is that Geelong were ordinary for mine last night and almost every other team could have beat them last night.

Jamo was amazing looked like he was on one arm and one leg.

Garlett is gone. Missed two marks because he soiled himself. Playing like he knows he is gone and we need to keep whatever currency he has up.

Reply #123
Now that I've calmed down, I'd like to note some positives:

-Menzel: is going to be a gem.

-Docherty: Looks like we've picked up a 200+ gamer. Very impressive for a 20yr old.

Reply #124
-Docherty: Looks like we've picked up a 200+ gamer. Very impressive for a 20yr old.

I didn't see last week's game so don't know how he was there but you could see the confidence grow in the kid over the course of the game as he started to drill some sizzling kicks. That last kick which he scrubbed was cruel and I didn't see any of his teammates go to him and just give him a pat and say don't worry about it. So I hope it doesn't play on his mind going forward.

Menzel will be our next freak show. No doubt about it. Look forward to many years of Yarran and Menzel doing crazy stuff  :))

Reply #125
That did my head in last night, being my birthday yesterday, I thought what a great win to cap off the day :'(

Murphy - Looked like a Carlton captain, dug in took punishment and tried his guts out when it was needed. How he didn't get a free when Selwood got him in the head when running past was beyond me.

Gibbs - Great game, but.... at the end of the game 95% of the other players looked shattered, Bryce was calmy shaking hands. Am I being too critical but then when I saw the players hurting, I was hurting as was every other supporter, it looked to me as if he was satisfied with his game. Again great game though. The midfield agrees with him.

Thomas - Ballistic Daisy is on his way back, he is what the team needs and you can see it building. Probably won't see it until next year but more than happy with his performance last night.

Docherty - Great get, has some wheels, football brain and mostly very good skills. I can't wait to see what he'll do with a pre season under his belt. Another 5kgs and a couple of years experience and we have an AA for Hampson :))

Yarran - Starting to be the player we want and need. When Chris gets the ball I almost breathe a sigh of relief, he has worked on his spoiling, hold back a couple of paces then jumping and spoiling. While he will never be a lock down defender, Yazz does enough not to be exposed in defence. I saw Carrots say he looked lazy, I say I looked stuffed. Very rarely do you get a mix of explosive pace and endurance and Yazz will never be that elite runner, but a burst player who can break open the game.

Menzel - Only 19 and looks like he will be the leader of the forward line in years to come. Smart, skilled with a touch of mongrel. I LIKE! Did a couple of too cute things that will need to be whipped out of him and needs to build the tank some more but he has a couple of seasons to do that. Hold together Lars.

Rowe - I normally groan when Sam get near it, and in the first half he was playing out of his division in size and skill, but a switch was flicked when he was moved to Walker, he looked the better player in the one on one contest for the first time in his career. He bualked then stepped round a player kicking the ball to our advantage. I was all for getting rid of Rowe but if we see more of this then I'm happy to stand corrected.

Casboult - I echo the sentiments around here, it's only the most important skill in football  that he's bad at for a forward. I just wonder have they tried hypno-therapy? It seems to have worked well for Port, it helps smokers, I'd be giving it a try for Levi. He is an elite mark and as that second ruck option is getting much better.

Robbo - No kicks aroud corners from clearences to the opposition, if thay can stay out of his game then he stays in the seniors at Carlton for as long as his body is able to let him.

Go get the green maggots Mick. Someone needs to stand up and have a crack at the crap level of umpiring this year which we seem to be getting the arse end of.

Proud of the effort last nigth, hate the result.

Have either of the Scott twins ever had a free kick paid against them that was deserved. Hawkins was taking too long all night long, I'm glad he was called to play on. I also am gladd when Sellars had a shot at Scott and said for the first time in his career he may have to coach the side now.

Reply #126
So what is the official AFL rule re runners getting in the way of players - anyone have a link?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
Gibbs - Great game, but.... at the end of the game 95% of the other players looked shattered, Bryce was calmy shaking hands. Am I being too critical but then when I saw the players hurting, I was hurting as was every other supporter, it looked to me as if he was satisfied with his game. Again great game though. The midfield agrees with him.

He looked devastated straight after the siren.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #128

He looked devastated straight after the siren.

I'm glad cause the shots on TV showed heaps of others looking distraught but not Bryce.

Reply #129
Wayne Campbell... Bounce should have been recalled, was an error. Menzel should have been paid a free kick, umpire couldn't see. Runner interference.... no free kick.

This makes me feel a lot better....................................not
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #130
In the second half, Sam Rowe showed confidence I hadn't seen before, in that his only party trick wasn't just punching the ball but that he was prepared to take a mark if that was the preferred  option.

6 marks ended up being a good return and his accuracy in front of goal is a bonus if he drifts down.

Reply #131
Yes, good on Rowe for not dropping his head.

I don't understand why Mick refuses to move Hendo when he is badly out of touch.

Reply #132
That did my head in last night, being my birthday yesterday, I thought what a great win to cap off the day :'(

Murphy - Looked like a Carlton captain, dug in took punishment and tried his guts out when it was needed. How he didn't get a free when Selwood got him in the head when running past was beyond me.

Gibbs - Great game, but....................

Raydan,

I agree with that generally - re Bryce. Must be the new 'do. Made him all swashbuckling and devil-may-care.

My thoughts on other players :

206 - not outstanding, but his last few weeks have been ok.
everitt - not really sold on him yet. I can't really work out where he fits in. Seems to be another lanky HFF. And not very quick IMO.
walks  - shizen. Mick, please, I'm begging you. Play him in the forward line.
simmo - always brave. Went ok.
hendo - I hope and pray it's only the lack of preseason that accounts for his form. Borderline shizzen
2E - some good, some bad. Looked a little batter last night. hopefully not a lost cause.
Carrots - Great to have him back. Got better as the game went on. And did a very good job on Selwood.

Reply #133
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-06-07/we-probably-impacted-the-game

Umpires boss Wayne Campbell admits Carlton forward Troy Menzel should have been paid a free kick and been given the chance to kick a match-winning goal in the dying seconds of Geelong's thrilling five-point win over the Blues on Friday night.
......"Ben Ryan, who was the umpire, was unsighted. (Umpires coach Hayden Kennedy) is very strong on not guessing to pay the free kick."

With 13 seconds to play, Robinson pushed Geelong runner Nigel Lappin out of his way and Malthouse was adamant it impeded the Blue's path to the ball.
However, Campbell was happy with the umpires' decision not to blow the whistle in that instance, because they didn't believe Lappin had impacted play.

"We would say it's not a free-kick," Campbell said.

"From an umpiring point-of-view we don't think he (Lappin) impacted play because it was at a stoppage.

In a game full of contentious calls, Campbell also declared a misdirected centre bounce that led to a goal to Geelong's Josh Walker in the second quarter should have been recalled.

"Clearly, both ruckmen couldn't contest the ball so we should have called it back," he said.

"Our whole aim is to not impact the game and obviously Geelong go down and kick a goal. So we probably impacted the game with that one.

Reply #134
well at least they acknowledged the error..... if that goose jeff gieschen was still around he would have beat around the bush with BS excuses...