Skip to main content
Topic: R13 : Carlton drowned by the Hawks (Read 44683 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R13 : Carlton drowned by the Hawks

Reply #150
Watson= dud pick = gone.........isnt smart or intense enough to play AFL......problem is he isnt worth a dime at the minute and no club would touch him after that Hawthorn game.

We said that about Hampson, there's always Richmond.  ;)
Apparently had a dead set shocker yesterday.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #151
In any case, I thought the main reason we lost, is that when the game was in the balance at the end of the 3/4 the Hawks were harder for longer with the result of them winning.  They piled on the last 2 goals of the 3rd term too easily, and then started firing and went up about 4 notches in intensity whilst we sort of fizzled out in that category.

That being said the whole game may very well have ended different had Matthew Watson not missed an absolute gimme goal for a guy with supposedly the best left foot in our team.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #152
Red time goals are a big big problem for this club... we never score them but the other mobs always do.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #153
Re Watson - been saying is for a while. If he has to play, it is forward. It SHOULD be forward at VFL level. He ain't no defender I'll give ya the tip!

I know he's contracted for next year but I'd be keen to just chop him.

Disastrous draft pick - how's Isaac Smith and Jack Darling gone at the top level? - and he's just not up to it. Simple as that.

Play him forward if we are desperate to play him at all.

That display from him on Friday night is right up there with some of the Kane Lucas efforts. Shocking!!!!

Reply #154
Maybe it's the booming left foot and stocky build, but he does remind me of Dorotich,
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #156
Yazz - unsighted - thought we got the "lazy Yazz" tonight, apart from a couple of tackles.

thouhgt the Hawks did a good job of taking Yazz deep and, therefore, keeping out of the play.  we needed him in the play and he would have helped with our lack of polish.  MM needs to recognise this and swing him onto a wing and swap someone back onto his man, when this happens.

same thing used to happen with Gibbs, when he played HB - he would be taken to the goal square and taken out of the play

have to recognise it ealry and do something about it

Reply #157
Maybe it's the booming left foot and stocky build, but he does remind me of Dorotich,

Watson's not in the same hemisphere as Dorotich.
The bloke simply isn't good enough, he regularly gets taken to the cleaners in the VFL for Pete's sake.
For those who reckon he should play as a forward, key forward is a much harder position to play, if you think he's bad in defence you haven't seen anything.
We should just cut our losses, and sack whoever re-signed him and Bootsma.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #158

The bloke simply isn't good enough, he regularly gets taken to the cleaners in the VFL for Pete's sake.
For those who reckon he should play as a forward, key forward is a much harder position to play, if you think he's bad in defence you haven't seen anything.
[/quote Mr.Hughes  please take a bow  :'( >:(

Reply #159
Yazz - unsighted - thought we got the "lazy Yazz" tonight, apart from a couple of tackles.

thouhgt the Hawks did a good job of taking Yazz deep and, therefore, keeping out of the play.  we needed him in the play and he would have helped with our lack of polish.  MM needs to recognise this and swing him onto a wing and swap someone back onto his man, when this happens.

same thing used to happen with Gibbs, when he played HB - he would be taken to the goal square and taken out of the play

have to recognise it ealry and do something about it

That's how I saw it.  Yarran was playing a very defensive role, often matched against a taller opponent, and had little opportunity to provide run out of the backline.  A switch with Menzel or Docherty could have got Yarran more involved offensively.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #160

Can't argue with you regarding his inability to show much on a consistent basis since his arrival. I think his papers are stamped, one only had to listen to MM 's reply re the question about his missed sitter. It was short and to the point "doesn't help"- I interpreted his tone as meaning 'fed up '..
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain