Skip to main content
Topic: R13 : Carlton drowned by the Hawks (Read 44938 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R13 : Carlton drowned by the Hawks

Reply #135
Watson's problem is he's slow to react.
Deadly for a defender.
I tend to agree he's just about cooked
Forward is really his last opportunity to make a go of it.
Give him a try.
The big danger is yes, the defenders will run off him but with his size the "mark and kick", and the "creating of contests" would be what we'd be asking.

Has he been tried there in the VFL

Reply #136
No, just no.

Did you not see his miss from 20m out?

He is slow to think and react. Any half decent backman will run off him. Guaranteed way to eliminate him from the game is to zone off him and/or get a 3rd man around him and he'll give up, drop his head and watch the opposition clear the ball away from him.

Watson is done.

Hey, you are talking to the all-time "Swing The Axe" hatchet man here ...............

I am at the stage that trying him as a key forward is the last roll of the dice, if that doesn't work he gets shown the door.

I'd like to try and resurrect something from that draft because if/when we can him, it makes that year a complete wipe-out.

Besides, better to try something different & fail than not try at all. We genuinely have nothing lose now, our season is cooked as well.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #137
The club's put a lot of time, effort and money into him so its worth a look. he spent some time on the forward line last year before he was injured and was doing well enough to hold his spot. He's not alone, in this team, missing from 20mtrs out.

Reply #138
If there was anyone out there who was of the opinion that Mathew Watson has a future at the club they surely would of conceded tonight they were wrong.

I feel for the guy but he just had his papers stamped tonight for good.

I've had a long rethink on this guy and have come up with an alternative option for us to try.

Some people think he should be persisted with and given that we have nothing to lose this season, let's trial him as a FF.

Yes, you read that right, as a FF !!

Casboult is being given every opportunity to succeed and his size ideally suits the CHF role as well as giving him some additional space to run into up the ground.

Watson is 195cm & 101kg, he is a decent-sized lad, he showed that can take the ball on the lead and we know he has a huge booming kick on him. Plonk him in the goal-square and tell him to lead straight up the ground, the mids will deliver it lace-out on his chest.

He is bereft of confidence right now and there is nothing worse than playing a key role in defence when you're second guessing yourself.

Give him the remainder of the season as a forward and see how he goes, if it doesn't work then we are no worse off than we are right now. If he ends up succeeding, then we have just solved another of our bigger issues.

Yep, no point chucking out a first round pick until all avenues have been explored.

Reply #139
This is going to sound a little weird but one thing that is very apparent at the ground is how thick and muscular the backsides of the Hawthorn players are compared to our blokes. It's pretty true of any side compared to us.

Less beach muscle work (especially Andrew Walker who looks like a bean pole out there) more squats and deadlifts!

Reply #140
Watson's problem is he's slow to react.
Deadly for a defender.
I tend to agree he's just about cooked
Forward is really his last opportunity to make a go of it.
Give him a try.
The big danger is yes, the defenders will run off him but with his size the "mark and kick", and the "creating of contests" would be what we'd be asking.

Has he been tried there in the VFL

Watson= dud pick = gone.........isnt smart or intense enough to play AFL......problem is he isnt worth a dime at the minute and no club would touch him after that Hawthorn game.

Reply #141
This is going to sound a little weird but one thing that is very apparent at the ground is how thick and muscular the backsides of the Hawthorn players are compared to our blokes. It's pretty true of any side compared to us.

Less beach muscle work (especially Andrew Walker who looks like a bean pole out there) more squats and deadlifts!

Just on Walker...
Not sure how many elite runners can afford to have a lot of junk in their trunk.

Walker leaves Judd for dead and perhaps that is because of the leaner body by comparison?

Reply #142
Watson= dud pick = gone.........isnt smart or intense enough to play AFL......problem is he isnt worth a dime at the minute and no club would touch him after that Hawthorn game.

We said that about Hampson, there's always Richmond.  ;)
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #143
One of the few pleasing things about the game was Rowe's hit on Lewis.  Lewis had been trying to rough up Gibbs and it was nice to see one of our players dish a bit out.

Lewis was pretty quiet in the first half and I think Rowe deserves some of the credit for that.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #144

We said that about Hampson, there's always Richmond.  ;)

It wouldn't surprise me to see Watson line up up forward if he plays anymore games in 2014.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #145

Just on Walker...
Not sure how many elite runners can afford to have a lot of junk in their trunk.

Walker leaves Judd for dead and perhaps that is because of the leaner body by comparison?

There's not a lot of difference in their bodies
Walker 190cm- 88 kg
Judd 189- 88 kg

Walker was a schoolboy champ sprinter from memory.....had really good speed /endurance 200/400m

Reply #146
Wasn't last night a reminder of what Wayne Hughes has done to this football club over the last decade?

Hawthorn Players:

- Sublime skills
- Quick by hand and foot
- Decisive
- Flexible (multiple positions)
- One touch players (no fumbling)
- Fit and pacy
- Run and spread for days

Carlton Players:

- Too many plodders
- Slow by hand and foot
- Indecisive
- Poorly skilled
- Slow and lack of spread
- Fumblers

Make no mistake MM coached well last night. There's only so much he can do with this list. We essentially won that game last week against a very good side and we managed to make a contest with an elite outfit last night. I'm confident that with a restructure of the list MM can take us to the top.

Hawthorn players looked much quicker than us tonight and their skills are something to behold. Mclean looked like an old man in comparison. Breust, Puopolo, Hill, Smith, Riolo, all rotate through the middle and they are all quick and skillful. Get with the times Carlton - we need to draft for this.

Roughead even played in the middle last night alongside Ceglar and won clearances LOL

Anyway, last night was not the end of the world. It just showed where our list is at more than anything. We need a complete restructuring of the recruitment department and some astute trading then good things might come and sooner than you might think.

Toddy

You have saved me typing something similar, thanks Toddy.

If you look at the Hawks, they had a lot of their better players out (granted we had no Jammo & Hendo) but they were able to cover for them and still get a win. Their lesser lights played with the same level of aggression coupled with quality ball-handling skills.

Whenever we have some serious outs, we have to bring in B-Grade plodders who will give their best, but is below that level displayed by the Hawks.

Did anyone watch the Swans V Port match yesterday ?? Both of those teams are highly skilled and play with a strong discipline & intent that we can only dream about right now.

I know I am banging on ad-nauseum about this (and have been for the past 10-years) but the list needs to be savagely addressed over the next 2-3 years to get it to the point where we are on a par with the other Top 4 teams. Otherwise, we will be consigned to a lifetime of mid-lower table finishes alongside the Bulldogs & the Saints, no coincidence they have only won one premiership each too. 

Reply #147
By the way, next time a Carlton player gets into a fight/scrap with the Hawthorn player, I don't want to see a school-girl bitch-slap across the face!!

Clench the fist and job him on the nose, make sure you draw some blood.

So what if he gets reported and spends a week on the sidelines. I'm sick of this 'soft as butter' approach especially when the Hawks are more than happy to push us around.

Stand up & fight.

Reply #148
Just saw a tackle similar to Waites tackle in the coll-wb game against Clinton  young which was paid to the tackler ...... Can't believe these umpires are costing clubs games and can't judge simple decisions which should be bread and butter for them

Reply #149
Wow - your Carrazzo obsession is quite outstanding.....in this particular case & in all due respect, your not being at the game makes your opinion of Carrazzo's performance irrelevant & just plain wrong.

Sheesh....that escalated quickly. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!