Skip to main content
Topic: Judd '15 (Read 15703 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Judd '15

Reply #30
I think Gaz has achieved more for sure but at his best Judd was the better player. Ablett has longevity on his side plus it took him a good 4-5 years to become the star he is whereas Judd was unstoppable from the get go and gradually slowed down after his groin injury with the WCE in his final year. If Judd was still playing at that same level as he did in his first 6-7 years I think many of you would be going with Judd.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #31
The Judd v Ablett debate will continue for ever and everyone  has their own opinion. To use an F1 analogy, Schumacher went to Ferrari when they were a basket case, attracted some good support staff, 5 WC's later... His impact was immense. Senna chose to go to Williams instead of Ferrari because they were the best team with the best resources. Why? What did he achieve there? Didnt score a single point for the first time in his career and then unfortunately lost his life. The analogy is that I reckon Ablett has had a bigger impact on the Suns than Judd has at Carlton. Not saying Judd has had no or little impact on his young team mates, I just reckon Gaz has had more. Coming from me thats a massive statement. (a). Because I would turn and marry Juddy if he asked me to (b). I was a big Ablett hater who thought he was overrated when he was at Geelong. They will go down as two of the best mids to ever play the game, I just reckon Gaz shades just because of the few things I have mentioned.

Pretty easy claim to make.

One player went to a club that was being helped hand over fist by the league, the other player went to a club that was the leagues fashionable whipping boy.

Imagine if Judd had gone to a club that was being offered so much support?

Then there is the darker aspect of this, the one nobody talks about!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Ablett  shades Judd IMO...more goal kicking power and  more consistent as his Brownlow votes show...he probably should be a triple brownlow medallist except for injury...hard to beat that record although Judd runs him close.
I like watching Judd better than Ablett though...bit like watching Michael Holding bowl vs Malcom Marshall or Mark Waugh bat vs his bro Steve...the former's had the style the others didnt...

Reply #33
Injury hampered 2012/2013/2014 hurt Judd in this argument. Remembering him doing those gut busting runs out of the back pocket to kick goals or dragging a pack of 4 players on his back in a clearance. Truly remarkable player.

I think he ran straighter than just about anyone in the game as well.

Reply #34
Ablett  shades Judd IMO...more goal kicking power and  more consistent as his Brownlow votes show...he probably should be a triple brownlow medallist except for injury...hard to beat that record although Judd runs him close.
I like watching Judd better than Ablett though...bit like watching Michael Holding bowl vs Malcom Marshall or Mark Waugh bat vs his bro Steve...the former's had the style the others didnt...

But at their best, forget their careers, at their best who was better? Who would you pick?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #35

But at their best, forget their careers, at their best who was better? Who would you pick?
Pre Ablett going to Suns, I would have said Judd, now I would pick Ablett by a bees pee pee.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36

Too hard to call.... :-\

Reply #38
At their best you could only dream to have both, as no other pair in the league could come remotely close.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #39

JUDD!!!

I remember wishing we had a player like Judd in his prime.

I remember wishing we just had Judd!

I've never in my life seen a player just step into the AFL at that age and do what he did. I still remember the first time I saw him play, first bit of play in fact it was a centre bounce and he just swooped on the ball and took off with a Port player right on his hammer. He put ten metres on him in a flash, whilst bouncing, ran to 50m and kicked the goal. I just thought to myself WTF is this, who is this?

@Elwood

First time I've seen you sit on the fence mate! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #40
I admired Judd more after he came to Carlton, I felt Kerr was the one doing all the grunt work for him at the Eagles.

Ablett became the best player in the comp in 2007 and has been ever since.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #41

Reply #42
Has Juddy been training with the Essendon boys?

Reply #44
Has Juddy been training with the Essendon boys?

Got the drink bottles mixed up... :)
I follow both Juddy and Becs on Instagram, he hasnt stopped running and training since the season finished. Has been enjoying himself at the races for sure but he as been working pretty hard maintaining himself in ripping condition. Thats why he is a legend.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time