Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums) (Read 54870 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums)

Reply #90
Interesting on SEN this morning MM commented on what a great performance Carrazzo put in. This was not prompted with a question about Carrazzo, he mentioned 2-3 names off the cuff, Curnow was another.

He also said that it was not likely that Hendo and waite would combine up front and he actually mentioned that Waite would be some chance to play down back as they need a relief ruck and neither Waite nor Hendo can perform that role.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #91
People are forgetting McInnes, he would be stiff not to come straight back in after a week off.

And of the 2s, Duigan has probably played his three best games in a row for some time, two of them as a half forward!

Adrian Hickmott II (or dare I say it - Aaron Hamill)?

Neither of whom were quick both both blooody hard at it.....

That would be awesome if it turned out - however, Hicky was one of the the best contested marks for size I've ever seen.....and compared to Duigs, was an elite kick for goal.  Very, very classy player to go along with the guts.

cheers

Mal.

Hickmott was pound for pound one of the best contested marks in the comp. Played well above his height and an etremely reliable kick for goal. Hickmott was an unbelievably talented bottom six player to have. Duigan couldn't tie his shoelaces.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #92
Duigan couldn't tie his shoelaces.

Sometimes, you don't know until you try?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #93
Interesting on SEN this morning MM commented on what a great performance Carrazzo put in. This was not prompted with a question about Carrazzo, he mentioned 2-3 names off the cuff, Curnow was another.

He also said that it was not likely that Hendo and waite would combine up front and he actually mentioned that Waite would be some chance to play down back as they need a relief ruck and neither Waite nor Hendo can perform that role.

Can't believe he won't combine Henderson and Waite up forward. Geelong,  Hawthown,and Sydney, 3 top sides, play two ruck and two key forwards. He did it himself at Collingwood with Cloke, Dawes and  Brown. Waite's a running, mobile type, not like your traditional key forward. Can be just as easily played as a running, marking 3rd tall. Why not make your forward like as potent as possible. Not sure what Malthouse is  thinking of there.

Waite does too many dumb things to be played in defence. Been great up forward though.

Reply #94
@laj
Jim it's well known that MM likes to build the team around a solid defence and I think he would be a bit concerned about us in this area. He's therefore likely looking at options as to how this could be fixed, albeit maybe just for what's left of this year?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #95

Can't believe he won't combine Henderson and Waite up forward. Geelong,  Hawthown,and Sydney, 3 top sides, play two ruck and two key forwards. He did it himself at Collingwood with Cloke, Dawes and  Brown. Waite's a running, mobile type, not like your traditional key forward. Can be just as easily played as a running, marking 3rd tall. Why not make your forward like as potent as possible. Not sure what Malthouse is  thinking of there.

Waite does too many dumb things to be played in defence. Been great up forward though.
I disagree. A few years back, when  Waitey played CHB a few years back, he was in AA form. I have always said I prefer Waite in defence, majority of his injuries have been sustained while playing as a fwd.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #96

Ive been thinking about how to make sense of his comments re this forward setup, and then I remembered who we are talking about here.  Its Mick Malthouse.  The king of misinformation via the media.

Why formulate a plan that would take everyone by surprise and then spruik it on the radio?

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #97

I disagree. A few years back, when  Waitey played CHB a few years back, he was in AA form. I have always said I prefer Waite in defence, majority of his injuries have been sustained while playing as a fwd.

Big, strong forwards take him apart. Jono Brown revelled playing on Waite. Does too many dumb things in defence. Way more value as a forward. As the 3rd forward, rather than the key forward, he may not get the same injuries. Why not make you forward line as potent as possible. Works for the top sides.

Waite Casboult/Rowe Yarran
Betts Henderson Garlett

Much better than putting Waite back in defence.

Reply #98
Glad to see Curnow get some sugar for his game, it was the best for the club by some margin.

He actually started hurting the opposition not just tagging Ablett, and this was good to see. Even when Ablett did get off  the leash it was well away from anywhere he could do us any real harm.

As for this week, bring Duigan in and issue one clear instruction to the HB and midfield group. Sit the ball on Sandilands head at CHF, and clear a path for Duigs!  ;D

The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
@laj
Jim it's well known that MM likes to build the team around a solid defence and I think he would be a bit concerned about us in this area. He's therefore likely looking at options as to how this could be fixed, albeit maybe just for what's left of this year?

He also went Cloke, Dawes and Brown in his forward line  that won a flag.

Not sure Waite would be that solid in defence. Often played well as a sweeping type and played well on certain type of key forwards like Riewoldt but got monstered by the likes of Brown. Then there was the dumb turnovers, which cost us goals. We got Watson time to develop him. Still yet to let anyone down in the seniors. You're not going to build a team around a 30yo injury key defender.

Reply #100
@laj

Not sure Waite would be that solid in defence. Often played well as a sweeping type and played well on certain type of key forwards like Riewoldt but got monstered by the likes of Brown. Then there was the dumb turnovers, which cost us goals. We got Watson time to develop him. Still yet to let anyone down in the seniors. You're not going to build a team around a 30yo injury key defender.

Maybe its a question of if Waite can play with another key forward...I dont remember Fev and Waite playing too many blinders together ....I think Waite could do a Nick Reiwoldt and lead player/s up the ground and give Henderson the space to work in. What I dont want to see is both of them at the top of the goalsquare getting in each othesr road and dragging their defender on top of the other player.
One needs to sacrifice for the other IMO and I reckon Waite would do better playing up the ground leaving Hendo one out...

Reply #101
I think the forward line is functioning better now than it has all season and Malthouse would be reluctant to go back to his earlier structures that didn't work as well.  That means that we have to have one key forward who can spell Kreuzer from time to time and that has to be one of Rowe, Hampson or Casboult (with Rowein favour at the moment).

I suspect Waite will be used as a swingman when he comes back.  That will provide more flexibility and more options for Malthouse and, hopefully, headaches for the opposition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
VFL has suspended Duigan for striking - two weeks.

Reply #103
VFL has suspended Duigan for striking - two weeks.

Ferk me, it must be full of Freo apologists.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
@laj

Maybe its a question of if Waite can play with another key forward...I dont remember Fev and Waite playing too many blinders together ....I think Waite could do a Nick Reiwoldt and lead player/s up the ground and give Henderson the space to work in. What I dont want to see is both of them at the top of the goalsquare getting in each othesr road and dragging their defender on top of the other player.
One needs to sacrifice for the other IMO and I reckon Waite would do better playing up the ground leaving Hendo one out...

Fev often played with Whitnall with Waite either the 3rd tall running, marking forward or in the midfield before later on going to defence. Not sure they played  much together as CHF/FF.

Yes, Waite would do well leading up the ground as the 3rd tall.