Skip to main content
Topic: "Kreuzer The Key To Finals" - Malthouse (Read 12345 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Kreuzer The Key To Finals" - Malthouse

Reply #15
I thought MK didn't play a game in anger for 12 months though? You'd expect training to resume before that as part of his rehab.

no.. you stay on ice and/or cotton wool

i was at the  b & f the year he did hid knee - MK spoke to the crowd when he said he was aiming for Round 1 - the crowd then erupted in applause
i was aghast when I heard it because I knew then he was pushing it too fast...

He didn't actually come back until R12 (can't remember how many reserves game he played).

As for what he told supporters... There's membership to sell.

The head scratcher for me was bringing him back in the twos last year

Reply #16
In regards to Kreuzer doing his knee and us rushing him back. 12 months appears to be the AFL norm.

However, in the NFL, there have been some absolutely ludicrous comebacks made.

For those that care, i'm a Vikings fan, and although of late has been a bit sketchy, i am an Adrian Peterson fan. His comeback story is crazy good.
For those who don't know, Peterson is a running back. He has been the best running back the league has had in quite a while. He has just about every Vikings runnings back record there is, and quite a few NFL ones along with it. This guy is equivalent to your Gary Ablett / Chris Judd types here in terms of standing in the game.

On xmas eve 2011, Peterson blew out his knee. Got tackled side on with full body weight of his oppenent directed squarely on the side of his knee. He tore his ACL and MCL. Career potentially over. He had surgery over new years and vowed to come back bigger and better than ever.

9 months later, he was back playing Round 1 of the new season. Remarkable enough, sure.
However, by the end of the 16 games that season, he fell just 7 yards short of the all-time single season rushing record. 2097 yards he ran for. A 'good' running back gets half that for a season. A excellent one averages 100 yards a game - 1600. He won a multitude of awards in his comeback season, the best of which was the highest possible award - League MVP.

If he was a FF in the AFL, it would be like him averaging 40 touches a game 9 months after having surgery, or kicking 150 goals.

Yes, Peterson is a freak athlete and elite in the sport. However, some other NFL players have played after 7 months out of the game.

The AFL has a '12 month' guideline, but that is not shared throughout the world. For the record, i'd rate what Peterson has/had to do as harder than what an AFL player has to do in terms of stress on the knee over your average game.

Reply #17
In regards to Kreuzer doing his knee and us rushing him back. 12 months appears to be the AFL norm.

For those that care, i'm a Vikings fan, and although of late has been a bit sketchy, i am an Adrian Peterson fan. His comeback story is crazy good.

I too am a vikings fan, my grandfather was from Minnesota.

Reply #18
@kruddler
ruckman have bigger frames and longer legs to heal
12 months was a minimum for MK

Reply #19

For those who don't know, Peterson is a running back. He has been the best running back the league has had in quite a while. He has just about every Vikings runnings back record there is, and quite a few NFL ones along with it. This guy is equivalent to your Gary Ablett / Chris Judd types here in terms of standing in the game.

On xmas eve 2011, Peterson blew out his knee. Got tackled side on with full body weight of his oppenent directed squarely on the side of his knee. He tore his ACL and MCL. Career potentially over. He had surgery over new years and vowed to come back bigger and better than ever.

9 months later, he was back playing Round 1 of the new season. Remarkable enough, sure.
However, by the end of the 16 games that season, he fell just 7 yards short of the all-time single season rushing record. 2097 yards he ran for. A 'good' running back gets half that for a season. A excellent one averages 100 yards a game - 1600. He won a multitude of awards in his comeback season, the best of which was the highest possible award - League MVP.

If he was a FF in the AFL, it would be like him averaging 40 touches a game 9 months after having surgery, or kicking 150 goals.

Yes, Peterson is a freak athlete and elite in the sport. However, some other NFL players have played after 7 months out of the game.

The AFL has a '12 month' guideline, but that is not shared throughout the world. For the record, i'd rate what Peterson has/had to do as harder than what an AFL player has to do in terms of stress on the knee over your average game.

With all due respect, this seems to be the exception, and not the rule.

Call me bitter, call me pessimistic, but to me, this just reinforces the fact that drugs in sport are so far ahead of the anti doping authority that they are able to rebuild a blokes knee, and have him come back faster, better, stronger, harder...

Contrast this to Kouta.  Did his knee, and returned to the the game a shadow of his former self.  Still a bloody good player, but not the dominant force able to influence results off his own boot anymore.

I would be staggered if there was more known today than there was back then in terms of how to rebuild a knee.

The fact that amateurs are treated the same way, and sometimes have a 400% difference in recovery makes me really suspect about proffesionals these days.

I guess the Essendon saga is a loss of innocense in more ways than one.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20

With all due respect, this seems to be the exception, and not the rule.

Call me bitter, call me pessimistic, but to me, this just reinforces the fact that drugs in sport are so far ahead of the anti doping authority that they are able to rebuild a blokes knee, and have him come back faster, better, stronger, harder...

Contrast this to Kouta.  Did his knee, and returned to the the game a shadow of his former self.  Still a bloody good player, but not the dominant force able to influence results off his own boot anymore.

I would be staggered if there was more known today than there was back then in terms of how to rebuild a knee.

The fact that amateurs are treated the same way, and sometimes have a 400% difference in recovery makes me really suspect about proffesionals these days.

I guess the Essendon saga is a loss of innocense in more ways than one.

This part says it all, but for different reasons.

The fact professionals make a better recovery than amateurs is partly why they have risen to be professionals.
The fact Peterson made a better recovery than your average professional is why he is in the elite class he is in.

In short, its about mindset of the individual and the ability to drive themselves and get the best out of themselves. Of course genetics play a big part as well.

For anyone interested, this video shows the injury, the rehab and the season all in one. Very inspirational.

[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/sdv8ig2qBPQ[/flash]

Reply #21

There has been huge advancements in the last 15 years. Keyhole surgery, better MRIs etc.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #24
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #25
i am an Adrian Peterson fan. His comeback story is crazy good.

Not a good day to be a Vikings/Peterson fan.

Mate, this has been going on all year. He played week 1, and has been sat on the sidelines for the last 8 weeks (getting paid mind you). Now he is officially out for the remaining 8 games....this way we don't have to pay him.
FYI, he is on 14 mil this season, so it is actually a good day. We've just saved 7 mil!

Reply #26
"Multi positional" scares the crap outta me...

yep..play his best footy on the ball and then resting up forward he can be dangerous for short periods but none of this KP Forward stuff please..didnt work with Hampson and wont work with MK either.

Yep spot on.