Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2015 (Read 21846 times) previous topic - next topic

Australian Open 2015

Firstly Id like to congratulate the Aussies.  10 through to the second round is a remarkable effort, and something we can be very proud of and from reports might never have happened before.

On the flipside, I think the tennis players would do well to distance themselves from the AFL at the moment.  Thanasi Kokkinakis is the "Port Adelaide Football Club Ambassador" and had a quite remarkable victory last night.  Apparently has done some pre season training with them as well.

5 sets at aged 18 vs an opponent who is currently ranked 13th in the world (and cracked the top 10 for the first time last year).  It was a gutsy win, and showed a lot of character and also speaks for his commitment, determination and preparation.

Let the Tennis do the talking and dont worry about representing interests that are outside of your own youngster!  Mud sticks and doesnt come off very easily.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Re: Australian Open 2015

Reply #1
It's funny to remember what people were thinking last year about this time.  Tomic had come off a series of PR disasters and had pulled out of his match with Nadal, saying he had a hip injury.  Australians were happy to jump off his bandwagon as Kyrgios made a grand entrance.  He had a big game, was keen to play and entertain.  We had a new and more lovable top male player. 

But this year, it looks as though they've switched places.  Kyrgios is acting like a knob and is labouring under injury.  Tomic has calmly dispatched his first opponent and is not making any PR blunders.

Maybe Kokkinakis can be our likeable star, but perhaps success will give us more chance to see him act up under pressure.

Reply #2
It's funny to remember what people were thinking last year about this time.  Tomic had come off a series of PR disasters and had pulled out of his match with Nadal, saying he had a hip injury.  Australians were happy to jump off his bandwagon as Kyrgios made a grand entrance.  He had a big game, was keen to play and entertain.  We had a new and more lovable top male player. 

But this year, it looks as though they've switched places.  Kyrgios is acting like a knob and is labouring under injury.  Tomic has calmly dispatched his first opponent and is not making any PR blunders.

Maybe Kokkinakis can be our likeable star, but perhaps success will give us more chance to see him act up under pressure.

Agree regarding Kyrgios, like all our promising tennis players he appears to be getting ahead of himself. Tomic appears to have learned the hard way so lets hoe the others don't go down the same road.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #3
We have to remember that a lot of players go through a tempestuous phase at the start of their careers.  Federer and Agassi are regarded as being great statesmen and role models, but both were real handfuls when they first joined the tour.  Hewitt is another good example.  Because he started as a 16 year old and he quickly became a top player, his tantrums were under the glare of the cameras and it took him longer to mature. On the other hand, injuries held Pat Rafter back and he didn't start to dominate until his mid-20s.  Was he always so even-tempered or did his late start help him to avoid youthful melt-downs?

One thing's for sure - the junior tennis system isn't a good way to teach kids to behave well.  It seems to be pretty much geared to producing spoilt brats.

Reply #4
Novak had a strange arrogant temperament when he was younger. He was a sook if games turned on him and would continue to show signs of being sick and almost unable to complete a game. Yet when things went his was he appeared bullet proof. His interviews showed him to be someone who thought his sh1t didn't stink.

As he has matured, he is quickly becoming one of the most likable players. Very honest, nice, polite and a true gentleman. Today watching him practice on one of the courts, he entertained the crowd. He was happy and jovial. He lets a young boy and girl from the crowd come onto the court and have a hit with him. Such a nice thing to do for the kids, and we in the crowd loved it. Especially when the kids hit winners against him. He signed autographs and made sure he stayed there long enough to sign for everyone. He didn't race off as though he had something better or more important to do.

I really like how he has changed. He would have been one of the first to only sign half a dozen signatures and race off as soon as he could to get away from a crowd. Unlike Sam Groth who as he walked through the crowd to get off the practice court, nearly knocked me over and nearly walked over the top of me. Lucky I didn't break my camera.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #5
Well said both Mav and Mantis. Agree with both your posts.

Reply #6
Wacthed Kyrgios last night.

He'll be something special but he has a bit of flog about him. Many great sportsman do.

Reply #7
Wacthed Kyrgios last night.

He'll be something special but he has a bit of flog about him. Many great sportsman do.

Agree, I didn't care for him much last night to be honest hopefully it's age more than anything and he'll mature and cut that out. However Tomic, now there is A grade flog, a head only a mother could love fair dinkum.

Reply #8
He's a 19 year old kid FFS. Playing for extremely high stakes in front of the country he lives in. Can you guys remember when you were 19? Not many at that age are cluey enough to understand perception. If he was a 24 year old displaying the same behaviour on court, then I'd agree but right now he's just a kid and possibly a very immature one.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
He's a 19 year old kid FFS. Playing for extremely high stakes in front of the country he lives in. Can you guys remember when you were 19? Not many at that age are cluey enough to understand perception. If he was a 24 year old displaying the same behaviour on court, then I'd agree but right now he's just a kid and possibly a very immature one.

what was Patrick Rafter like when he was 19?

Reply #10
Bloody Berdych.

Reply #11

Great, but he wasn't a hot headed wog. Point is everyone is different, give Kyrgios a little time to mature before we criticise him for doing what a lot of hot blooded 19 year old males would do in the same situation.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12

Nowhere near as good as Kyrgios!
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #13

Great, but he wasn't a hot headed wog. Point is everyone is different, give Kyrgios a little time to mature before we criticise him for doing what a lot of hot blooded 19 year old males would so in the same situation.

I am happy to give him time.

We need somone like that in carltons line up

Reply #14
Bloody Berdych.

He played like a champion and completely smashed Nadal. Nadal looked intimidated after the first few games of the first set and was returning the first serves 5m behind the baseline. I have never seen him spooked like that in the first set. It got worse in the second set. Once he moved up close to the baseline in the third set it evened up the match. It doesn't pay to have your opponent go 2-0 in the first two sets. Have to give Berdych a big high five for his game today. He said his new coach gave him a new game plan and if he executed it properly he could win this game. About time he went for something different. I guess loosing 17 times in a row to a player will do that to you. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.