Skip to main content
Topic: Watsons Fresh Start (Read 9165 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Watsons Fresh Start

Reply #15
We had great hopes for Watson he is such a nice big edition.
Perhaps he was thrown in the deep end, trying to out muscle Cloke - he did not have a chance.
Watching him in the Twos, sometimes I thought he lacked application.  We will have to see,
Carlton have kept faith in him
and now he is 'of age' perhaps he will find his mojo.
the team mates seem to like him,
Let's hope he has a good year,
'London or the bush' for him
I hope he has a great 2015 and repays all the investment
Agree with this Phil. Ive always said, blokes like him that were massive units at U18 level always struggle when they get to AFL level because they have never learnt to go man on man with someone their own size. They did the rag dolling in Juniors, all of a sudden they have this mass they don't know how to use. Tommahawk was in a similar boat. Watto might turn ok for us but he is fast running out of time to prove it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
Further to my earlier, I was thinking some more about Watto. I have another theory about him. Normally, you here coaches say how they send forwards for a long stint in the backline to "learn"  how to play the game. Perhaps Watto needs the opposite, a stint at in the fwd line to "learn" how to play the game. Just saying.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Watson's main problem to me looks like lack of self-confidence. He looks tentative and indecisive as a result, especially at senior level. The best way to overcome that IMO is an extended run in the seniors. Whether the MC is prepared to give him that remains to be seen.
Reality always wins in the end.