Skip to main content
Topic: McGrath/Lee Disgrace (Read 23919 times) previous topic - next topic

McGrath/Lee Disgrace

UPDATE: Former Australian cricketer Brett Lee is the latest sporting casualty to be dragged into a social media storm over hunting photos.

Another image surfaced online today after yesterday’s backlash against Glenn McGrath when photos of him hunting African animals on safari in 2008 circulated social media.

The latest picture shows Lee with McGrath around a dead bleeding animal hanging off the back of a vehicle and two children posing in the photo.

One of the children appears to be holding the dead animal’s head up.

Social media users immediately responded with distaste.

I know plenty will disagree but I think this is an absolute disgrace. What kind of sicko hunts and kills defenceless animals and then poses smiling with their kids next to the carcass? Sorry but I find this extremely offensive.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-legend-glenn-mcgrath-shamed-over-hunting-photos/story-fnii0bxd-1227233678373
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: McGrath/Lee Disgrace

Reply #1
Did they break any laws?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Absolutely not, I disagree on a moral basis. Hunting is an archaic sport that should have gone out with apartheid.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
Absolutely not, I disagree on a moral basis. Hunting is an archaic sport that should have gone out with apartheid.
Why?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #4
I don't believe it's right to kill animals for nothing more than fun. I also question the mental state of those who derive pleasure from it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
I agree with Carrots on this issue. Killing animals for food is fine. Even in hunting if it is policed so that it isn't a sport of target practice. Like fishing for food and not just because you like to catch wild animals. If hunting for fun like target practice, then why don't these people go clay shooting, or to a firing range. Why kill a defenceless animal for the fun of the kill. It raises issues as to the mentality of people.

How about wild lions and tigers being let lose in suburban streets, so that they can slaughter us just for the fun of the kill. Culling animals that are a pest is a completely different story. Not stating law here but just my opinion of how I feel with moral issues.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #6
Agree on hunting for food which I do. I hunt duck and quail in season, only take my bag and eat everything I hunt. I was brought up to hunt humanely which I always do. I disagree with the hunting of "exotic" animals for sport or fun despite it be legal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
@Carrots, what about fishing?

Is that ok if you eat it?
Is that ok if you throw them back?
Is that ok if you keep them, but don't eat them?

Have you ever killed a fly?
Have you ever killed a mouse?
Have you ever killed a bird?
Have you ever killed a cat?

There is SOOOO much grey area with this sort of thing that it is impossible for everyone to agree on right/wrong.

Reply #8
100% with you Carrots. Makes me want to puke!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #10
The deer is fine.  It is a pest species that causes problems in the bush - and I assume they are going to eat it.

The Cape Buffalo is probably borderline.  They are pretty common so I can understand someone shooting them.  Once again, it would only be OK if they were going to eat it or perhaps if there was an overwhelming case for culling due to overgrazing and habitat loss.

Shooting Hyenas is weird; you're not going to eat them and, like all of the large predators, they are under pressure.  Perhaps it was a legitimate cull but, if so, it should be done by a professional shooter, not some bozo on a safari.

I just can't understand how any person with a reasonable education and an apparent understanding of world events could even contemplate shooting an elephant.  I know that some African nations allow elephants to be shot in order to raise money and reduce population pressures but I think that is flawed logic.

I guess the only good news in all of this is that the McGrath Foundation has severed its links with greyhound racing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Couldn't get the above link to work. Sounds like trophy hunting from the read. I assume the two articles have similar content. Let me know if they are completely different.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/glenn-mcgrath-former-cricketer-regrets-shooting-wildlife-on-safari-20150222-13l44q.html
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #12
I guess the only good news in all of this is that the McGrath Foundation has severed its links with greyhound racing.
I think they've also given the 'Save the Buffalo" movement the arse as well.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #13
Killing living creatures for pleasure is disgusting.....

Piss poor Glen.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #14
Many of those tourist safaris are with animals that have been brought up to be hunted. The animals carcass won't be wasted, it gets taken by the people organising the hunt and sold off for food/etc.

I must say I feel uneasy about it and I don't get why you'd do it but these wouldn't be wild animals.