Skip to main content
Topic: McGrath/Lee Disgrace (Read 24045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: McGrath/Lee Disgrace

Reply #45
I agree with Carrots on this issue.

To me the word "issue" gets used far to often - there is no issue. The only "issue" is the one you have. They didn't break any laws and if you don't like it so be it. It isn't an "issue" but an opinion and just because you have one doesn't mean it's wrong or right. This is a opportunistic media beat up in my opinion and another example of the media now making news rather than reporting news.

Not really, when you consider the Mcgrath Foundation just cut ties with the GRV due to their cruel treatment of animals, I think it's a worthy headline myself. No media beat up. Shooting animals for fun is getting less and less socially acceptable as time goes by. Like I said, it's an archaic sport that has no place in today's society. IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #46
Spot on mate. Killing animals for fun is an awful thing and yet again I question the mentality of those who derive enjoyment from it. That's my opinion.

I'm with you 100% on this one Carrots.
As for the mental state of these people, it's quite common for serial killers to have a history of killing and torturing animals for pleasure in the formative years. John Travers the monster who killed Anita Cobby had a history of sodomizing sheep as he slit their throats. It was the same method he used to kill her. Now I'm not suggesting that McGrath and Lee are heading down that track but to pose with slaughtered animals that have been killed for entertainment will be interpreted by some impressionable minds as acceptable which it clearly is not.

x3.

Respectfully, those who are justifying killing critters on farms, fishing etc are missing the point. Dropping animals for sport, aint sport - in fact killing animals for sport is vile IMHO.

Most of us when we go fishing, take the fish home (if correct or larger size), scale, fillet and eat it, no problemmo (or cook it whole in foil with herbs etc... yum). Farmers who cull animals on their farm to protect livestock, or kill for food for the family, no problemmo. But killing animals for sport!!! FO, that's not sport... except when the Mighty CFC annihilates aa Magpie, Hawk, Tiger, Cat, Swan, Lion, Eagle etc for sport... now that's the kind of killing for sport we want. Bring it on! It fact it should be encouraged.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47
I agree with Carrots on this issue.

To me the word "issue" gets used far to often - there is no issue. The only "issue" is the one you have. They didn't break any laws and if you don't like it so be it. It isn't an "issue" but an opinion and just because you have one doesn't mean it's wrong or right. This is a opportunistic media beat up in my opinion and another example of the media now making news rather than reporting news.

Sorry if I offend you SPF, but I am allowed an opinion and I am allowed to call it an issue. Carrots original post stated he found it offensive for a person to shoot a defenceless animal for sport. Then to post pictures of him and his kids smiling while they hold up the head of the dead carcass. I refer to this as an issue as many find this sport of killing for fun offensive. Not culling because of pests, protecting crops, killing for food etc. Just for the pure reason of trophy kills for fun.

Just because an action isn't breaking a law doesn't mean it isn't offensive to many, and therefore not an issue in any shape or form. Otherwise we wouldn't have animals rights organisations around the world trying to stamp out such activities of towards animals. Read my original "link" and you will see Glenn enjoys the action of trophy killing. Sport of fun in killing animals for the trophy. Probably similar to those who mount animal heads on boards, which are displayed in their game rooms in their homes. Is it legal ? Probably is in quite a few countries. Do many see this as an acceptable hobby ? Many yes, but there are probably far more that find it a sport which is offensive. Not because they are all tree huggers. Just because it could be perceived to be cruel to kill a helpless animal. For no more reason than to brag to their friends. Therefore I don't think it should be legal. Therefore I find it to be an issue. Especially with animals that roam the African land and pose no threat to the land they normally live on. Not considered a pest. Not eaten as a first choice of food supply to the hunters in question. Elephants, Hyenas etc.

Some countries from the middle east allow activities to take place towards people. A man can rape his wife if he choses to do so. She doesn't have a right to reject a sexual advance towards her, because she is his wife and he owns her. In fact if she sleeps with another man, he is allowed to physically beat her as punishment. She has no right to embarrass him by doing such actions. The husband however can sleep with whoever he likes, and the wife can't question anything. She has no rights. Beating a person to teach them a lesson is an acceptable action. Therefore it is legal, because their culture doesn't punish such activity. Therefore it isn't an issue. People of different cultures shouldn't see this as an issue, or see it as an illegal offence. I didn't want to mention which cultures participate in such activities as we don't want to open a different can of worms here. Should we be fine on people beating women because the law allows them to. Sleeping with 13 year old females because it is accepted by such cultures ? Burning them with acids, fire etc.

If I upset you with my opinions, I am sorry if you get offended by what I state as my opinion, and an issue to me. I won't apologise for what I believe in and what I think is an issue. Both above examples are serious issues to me. I can't agree that either can be legal in any shape or form. Can I stop what is going on ? No. Do many others feel the same as I do on similar subject matter ? I am sure there are very many that do. I consider it an issue and that is not just me. Legal is not always right in the eyes of many people.

I apologise if you find the term "issue" offensive, as I find this to be an issue the law has failed to address and stamp out (Mainly the Safari hunting). I will however, not amend my post with another term. It is the best way I can describe what it is we are having a discussion over. An exchange of opinions on a particular subject matter.

I can agree with you that the media can beat up a story to sell news. Is this what is happening here ? Yes to a great extent. Does it open up peoples eyes to see what is happening around the world ? Yes. Isn't that what the media is here for in the first place ? Yes. To let us know what is going on, that we may not be aware of. Will you and I see eye to eye on this subject ? Probably not. We may do so on many other subjects or issues. Not having a go at you, by the way. Just letting you know what I think. 
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #48
Great post Mants.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #49
Albeit very long. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #51

Another sicko posing with carcasses.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #52

Well said mate. Mind you, I get just as upset when I see what is happening to the amazing Pangolin being recently reported in the press again..whale fishing..and even more about the rampant demise of sharks, especially in asia for shark fin soups. Catch Shark, cut off fin and throw animal back in water. Absolutely outrageous, a real indifference. Life is simply cheaper in some parts of the world where anything non human is treated as a commodity. Makes me think that some parts of Asia and Africa have not evolved past a 19th century mentality at a 2st century industrial scale. The west did it, now it's others turns. Breaks my bloody heart. It's just a race to the bottom with no plan for the next generation. I've got two kids under ten and I worry what world they'll inherent and pass onto their kids. especially when dic@kheads pay money to trophy hunt majestic creatures for the kick of it.
Keep the Faith

Reply #53
That's spot on mate that's what I mean when i say archaic, these places simply have not evolved at all.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54
Might I also add, the heroin trade helps poor villagers in Afghanistan, so does that make heroin okay?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #55

As I have stated, I hunt game but that photo sickens me to the core.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56

Well said mate. Mind you, I get just as upset when I see what is happening to the amazing Pangolin being recently reported in the press again..whale fishing..and even more about the rampant demise of sharks, especially in asia for shark fin soups. Catch Shark, cut off fin and throw animal back in water. Absolutely outrageous, a real indifference. Life is simply cheaper in some parts of the world where anything non human is treated as a commodity. Makes me think that some parts of Asia and Africa have not evolved past a 19th century mentality at a 2st century industrial scale. The west did it, now it's others turns. Breaks my bloody heart. It's just a race to the bottom with no plan for the next generation. I've got two kids under ten and I worry what world they'll inherent and pass onto their kids. especially when dic@kheads pay money to trophy hunt majestic creatures for the kick of it.

Woody...good point about Sharks and the cruel practice of throwing them back in after removing their fins, its at the same level as Middle eastern cultures who mince our sheep they have bought while still alive and those countries that kill cattle in a cruel way without stunning them first ...

As for that photo of that moron with the dead elephant...thats fine culling rogue animals that are dangerous etc, dont have a problem with that
 but he let himself down with that trophy photo showing  how proud he is of killing that animal.....

Reply #57
How can you be proud of creeping up on a defenceless animal and shooting it? What is there to be proud of what does he think he's achieved? That photo takes away all credibility with regards to his article. Just a goose.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #58
How can you be proud of creeping up on a defenceless animal and shooting it? What is there to be proud of what does he think he's achieved? That photo takes away all credibility with regards to his article. Just a goose.

I think there are good points he makes in the article and I have no offence to a cull of a species with a specific need in mind. I definitely agree with you that this photo takes a great deal of credibility away from the text printed. If he showed an image or video of a rogue elephant destroying a poor farmers crop, he would be respected far more with the content of his article. The image of a slain animal never paints a pretty picture, as many people will just think, "poor elephant". He could have been far more clever than he was.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #59
Hunting used to be big in a bygone era but that type of hunting has no place now.