Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs Werribee  (Read 6477 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues vs Werribee

Whilst we anticipate a match vs the old foe, the baby Blues have a hitout today as well.

http://northernbluesfc.com.au/news/590-nbfc-preview-practice-match-1.html

A few senior boys in this one, and in some ways might be more important for us than the senior match. hopefully these boys can show some solid form and press the issue for selection in the seniors sooner rather than later.

Northern Blues: 1. Bradley Walsh, 2. Matthew Dick, 3. Billy Gowers, 4. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow, 6. Jake Wild, 7. Dylan Buckley, 8. Brent Bransgrove, 11. Tom Fields, 12. Lachlan Langwell, 19. Matthew Watson, 20. Nick Holman, 27. Cameron Wood, 31. Ciaran Porter, 33. Nick Graham, 34. Blaine Johnson, 37. Dennis Armfield, 42. Ryan Tester, 51. Chris McCabe, 55. Lachlan Boscarini, 57. Fraser Russell, 63. Eamon Gilbert, 66. Dyson Stevens, 78. Damon Aujl.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Re: Northern Blues vs Werribee

Reply #1
Northern Blues 11.9.75 v Werribee 4.12.36
That is all I know at the moment. More data when I can find it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
NORTHERN BLUES                 3. 4      5. 4      7. 5         11. 9. (75)
WERRIBEE TIGERS                 2. 3      3. 5      4. 10       4. 12. (36)

GOALS

NORTHERN: B. Johnson 4, M. Watson 3, D. Armfield 2, M. Dick, D. Aujla
WERRIBEE: J. Helliwell 2, B. Iles 1, K. Harper 1.

Reply #3

GOALS

Cheers Valerio. Good to see Blaine, Watto and Army getting amongst it.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #4
Blaine still has some time, but Army is looking like he is on the outer, even though he is one of my favs to at least be a sub in a game that can be a game breaker with fresh legs in the last quarter of a match. I'm just not certain what Watson will bring to a match. Not much as a defender by the look of things in the past, but potentially enough as a forward from the limited exposure at AFL level. If he doesn't light it up this season he could become trade bait. I know it is an early call but it might just be what happens to him. Lets see how the season starts and where he fits into this squad. If you don't have pace and read the play, you must clunk most marks and be a dead eye dick in front of the big sticks. At VFL level is a different story to AFL level. Just saying things based on what I have seen in the last 2 seasons. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #5
If Watto keeps kicking goals at VFL level he will get further opportunities in the seniors I'm sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
http://northernbluesfc.com.au/news/591-nbfc-news-watson-johnson-guide-blues-to-practice-match-win.html

Johnson, Watson guide Blues to practice match win

by Kris Neil (@KrisANeil)

The Northern Blues have prevailed in a fiery practice match, defeating the Werribee Tigers by 39 points at Ikon Park.

The Blues extended their lead by 26 points in the final quarter to set up the victory, holding the Tigers goalless in the term while piling on four majors of their own, including two from Dennis Armfield.

The forward combination of Blaine Johnson and Matthew Watson proved to be the difference between the sides, combining for seven of the Blues’ 11goals for the contest.

Watson and Johnson’s straight shooting was in stark contrast to Werribee’s goal kicking at the other end, converting just four goals from 16 shots.

13 Carlton-listed players took part in the game including first year Blues Bradley Walsh, Matthew Dick, Bill Gowers, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow and Tom Fields.

Dick was quick to make his presence felt at VFL level, accumulating 25 disposals, ten marks and four clearances for the match.

Walsh, Fields and Gowers were also impressive in their first Northern hit-out, all accumulating over 15 possessions in their respective roles.

Third-year midfielder Nick Graham reflected on the efforts of his young teammates speaking post-game.

“A few of them were a bit nervous and didn’t quite know what to expect in the VFL, but they performed really well”, Graham said.

“With a bit more experience and exposure they should find themselves playing good VFL footy really soon.”

Ten Northern Blues-listed players took part in the match, with captain Brent Bransgrove being to have played a VFL match.

Northern-listed midfielders Damon Aujla and Lachlan Boscarini showed promise in their first competitive matchws in the navy blue to finish with 26 possessions and a goal between them.

Graham said the team would be able to take plenty of positives away from the way the team stuck to their structures and the game plan.

“It’s good to get a hit-out on the board and the boys played pretty well so it’s good to come away with a win.

“We’re trying to fine-tune a few things from last year and we’ve picked up some experienced players.

“With a bit of luck and if we all play our roles we’ll have a good crack at making the top eight this year.”

The Northern Blues play host to Sandringham at Ikon Park next Sunday.

“I think we’ll get a few experienced VFL-listed players back, so it will be a good hit-out”, Graham said.

“They’re always pretty tough in the midfield so we have to go out there and play like we did today and stick to the structures, get another win and get some confidence heading into round one.”

GOALS

This is pleasing to see. Watson showing some form back in the blues 2's.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
Great to hear good reports of Watson.
MickM says he might give him a game next week.
Obviously guys in the club have time for Watson, but I think he needs to win his place by hard slogging week-after-week performance.
He is a very nice unit but that touch of desperation could make him a great AFL presence

Reply #8
The thing with Watson is he has wasted so much time trying to be a defender. He looks like he could lock in a position as a key forward. If he manages this it means Liam Jones will only be a back up if injuries effect our forward structure. I still hope Watson can get some mongrel and play with real intent. He has body size in his favour. :)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #9
The thing with Watson is he has wasted so much time trying to be a defender. He looks like he could lock in a position as a key forward. If he manages this it means Liam Jones will only be a back up if injuries effect our forward structure. I still hope Watson can get some mongrel and play with real intent. He has body size in his favour. :)
One of the things I like about Watson as a key forward is that he actually leads hard for the ball. Few of our forwards lead much, not that we are great kicking to the lead, but that is another question.
Live Long and Prosper!