Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues Practice Matches 2015 (Read 27798 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues Practice Matches 2015

Reply #30
Mcevoy wasn't the Ben Mcevoy?

No, not Big Boy!

The NB's report suggests that Casboult, Watson and Foster didn't get much opportunity to do their thing.  If that was the case, perhaps one or more of them could have been pushed up the ground to create their own opportunities.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
Practice match or not.  We had "16" Listed players and we could not get a win.

I would be worried by that.   Out of the 16 that played, you would think that half of them would show something.  By all accounts, not many did.

Worrying signs
Still a practice match. They're young blokes had more incentive to have a crack. Result not important, just individuals.

Reply #32
Positive performances

Jason Tutt - I would have selected him ahead of Smith on Thursday - Clem isn't ready yet - Tutt is good to go

Mark Whiley - very good inside but hard to know how much was due to Levi's well directed hitouts and how much was due to his positioning and ball winning ability - looks and moves a bit like Priddis - something to work with

Ciarin Byrne - dashing defender with strong attack on ball and opponents - occasional brain fade and not as good a kick as his two compatriots but looks likely to make the grade

Blaine Johnson - didn't impress me much last year - looks rough around the edges but had a decent go today - seems to have improved - good ordinary footballer?

Dennis Armfield - typically hard working performance - nothing we haven't seen before

David Ellard - quieter than I would have expected but was not given much of an opportunity to run through the midfield - looks fitter and sharper than in recent seasons

Levi Casboult - more rucking than forward and was very effective at delivering the ball to his midfielders - Mick said he is out of form so his inability to hold marks in good conditions was probably indicative of this

Matthew Watson  :o - I have never been a fan but he showed some noticeable improvements in his movements, his acceleration and his fitness - also looks leaner - still unable to achieve anything in a pack situation and didn't set the world on fire but he appears to have found a position that suits him CHF - lots more movement from him than at FF which allowed him to be isolated on an opponent much more often and he was able to take some contested marks when the ball was kicked to his advantage - disposal was only so so - for a supposed elite kick, he is not very effective at kicking to advantage - still has lots of limitations so giving him a positive review might be more of an indictment on most of his teammates - but hey, it is one of the few times he has given me cause to hope.

Nick Graham - gathered possessions but didn't do much with them - on a par with last year's form

Not ready yet?
Blaine Boekhorst - maybe I was expecting too much but he seemed to be a bit of a straight ahead player who lacked the power to break away

Nick Holman - played in defence and was clearly focused on his defensive role - no obvious improvement from last year

Matthew Dick - didn't seem to do much but I was not sure of his role - might have been defensively effective

Tom Fields - solid unit - played as tall defender - not quite tall, strong or fast enough - tried hard but too often beaten in one-on-one contests

Dillon Viojo-Rainbow - played in defence - seems a likely type but might need a bit more time

Billy Gowers - a rookie who looks to have something - at least he knows how to find the ball

Jayden Foster - played at FF - needs time

Brad Walsh - rookie who showed little

Disappointing
Dylan Buckley  :( - not much to see here - was expecting so much more - especially since he was often the plus-one in defence

Reply #33
Cheers RR. Not the report we would have liked, but a factual report nonetheless.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #34
Thanks RR.
Like the bit about Casboults ruck work. His marking form will come back.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #35
Thank you, Ye Rat O' the River.

Especially agree that Smith's fitness wasn't up to a senior gig. Silly risk when we had Tutt, Ellard or Armfield available.

What should be of some concern for us is that Box Hill had no Dawks listed players participating.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
Thanks for a frank and honest report RR, as usual.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37
Positive performances

Jason Tutt - I would have selected him ahead of Smith on Thursday - Clem isn't ready yet - Tutt is good to go

Mark Whiley - very good inside but hard to know how much was due to Levi's well directed hitouts and how much was due to his positioning and ball winning ability - looks and moves a bit like Priddis - something to work with

Ciarin Byrne - dashing defender with strong attack on ball and opponents - occasional brain fade and not as good a kick as his two compatriots but looks likely to make the grade

Blaine Johnson - didn't impress me much last year - looks rough around the edges but had a decent go today - seems to have improved - good ordinary footballer?

Dennis Armfield - typically hard working performance - nothing we haven't seen before

David Ellard - quieter than I would have expected but was not given much of an opportunity to run through the midfield - looks fitter and sharper than in recent seasons

Levi Casboult - more rucking than forward and was very effective at delivering the ball to his midfielders - Mick said he is out of form so his inability to hold marks in good conditions was probably indicative of this

Matthew Watson  :o - I have never been a fan but he showed some noticeable improvements in his movements, his acceleration and his fitness - also looks leaner - still unable to achieve anything in a pack situation and didn't set the world on fire but he appears to have found a position that suits him CHF - lots more movement from him than at FF which allowed him to be isolated on an opponent much more often and he was able to take some contested marks when the ball was kicked to his advantage - disposal was only so so - for a supposed elite kick, he is not very effective at kicking to advantage - still has lots of limitations so giving him a positive review might be more of an indictment on most of his teammates - but hey, it is one of the few times he has given me cause to hope.

Nick Graham - gathered possessions but didn't do much with them - on a par with last year's form

Not ready yet?
Blaine Boekhorst - maybe I was expecting too much but he seemed to be a bit of a straight ahead player who lacked the power to break away

Nick Holman - played in defence and was clearly focused on his defensive role - no obvious improvement from last year

Matthew Dick - didn't seem to do much but I was not sure of his role - might have been defensively effective

Tom Fields - solid unit - played as tall defender - not quite tall, strong or fast enough - tried hard but too often beaten in one-on-one contests

Dillon Viojo-Rainbow - played in defence - seems a likely type but might need a bit more time

Billy Gowers - a rookie who looks to have something - at least he knows how to find the ball

Jayden Foster - played at FF - needs time

Brad Walsh - rookie who showed little

Disappointing
Dylan Buckley  :( - not much to see here - was expecting so much more - especially since he was often the plus-one in defence
Thanks, RR. Not what I want to read, but papering over the gaps is not going to improve us.

[1] Whiley appeared to run out of legs to me, following the stats. Not surprising as this is his first game after some weeks of injury. I would like to give him a senior game, but we should wait a week or 2?

[2] Where would you play Tutt? He appears to me to be a little better up the field, but we are calling out for a small forward.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
Thank you, Ye Rat O' the River.

Especially agree that Smith's fitness wasn't up to a senior gig. Silly risk when we had Tutt, Ellard or Armfield available.

My thoughts precisely. I heard afterwards that MM had planned to give him a run in the final term and that Fev presented his jumper before the game. I hope that wasn't a factor in selecting him when he was not a suitable substitute in the event of an early injury.

Are you surprised that I gave Watto a positive (albeit heavily qualified) review?

Reply #39
Thanks, RR. Not what I want to read, but papering over the gaps is not going to improve us.

[1] Whiley appeared to run out of legs to me, following the stats. Not surprising as this is his first game after some weeks of injury. I would like to give him a senior game, but we should wait a week or 2?

[2] Where would you play Tutt? He appears to me to be a little better up the field, but we are calling out for a small forward.

1. I don't think Whiley did enough to force selection ahead of Ellard and Graham but it probably depends on the role that Thomas' replacement is expected to play - especially if White is going to stay in the midfield rotation.

2. I think they have been playing Tutt as a high HF which seems to suit him well and still allows for him to scoot forward.

Reply #40
Last practice Match this weekend, to be played at the MCG!
Northern Blues (VFL) v AFL Under 18s Academy
 Saturday, April 11 – 10.30am
 Melbourne Cricket Ground

Northern Blues (Development) v North Ballarat City
 Saturday, Aprill 11 – 3pm
 Ikon Park, Parkville

Northern Blues Squads

VFL: 1. Tom Wilson, 2. Bradley Walsh, 3. Ty Armitage, 4. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow, 7. Dylan Buckley, 8. Brent Bransgrove, 9. Blaine Boekhorst, 10. Timmy Totevski, 11. Tom Fields, 12. Joel Wilkinson, 15. Paul Dirago, 17. Alexander Aurrichio, 18. Jarryd Coulson, 19. Matthew Watson, 20. Nick Holman, 22. Samuel Cattapan, 24. Steve Murray, 25. Glenn Strachan, 26. Kieran McGuinness, 30. Sean Bolger, 31. Mark Whiley, 32. Nick Graham, 34. Blaine Johnson, 35. Ben Walton, 38. Jason Tutt, 41. Levi Casboult, 42. Jayden Foster, 46. David Ellard, 49. Dennis Armfield, 51. Fraser Russell, 52. Andrew Walker, 55. Matthew Dick, 61. Jack Johnston, 71. Kyle McDonald, 77. Billy Gowers, 79. Ciaran Byrne, 82. Mitchell Gleeson

The squad will be trimmed tomorrow. Certain not to play are Tutt and Casboult - named in the senior side. Ellard, Armfield and Byrne probably won't play either, being emergencies. However, they may play, depending on whether they all make the trip to Perth.
Interesting to see how Alex Aurrichio goes. Also interesting to see if Walker plays. I hope he does: he needs a run: he needs some game time to get at least some form and fitness back.

I haven't found the Academy line up as yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #41
Ellard, Armfield and Byrne made the flight to Perth Crash.

It will be a good opportunity for Walker to get a run under his belt against gentle opposition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
If Ellard, Armfield and Byrne are over as a chance it might be a good thing. Armfield and Byrne can run and carry, and you know you always get effort from Ellard. If only he was a little quicker and taller.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #43
Ellard, Armfield and Byrne made the flight to Perth Crash.

It will be a good opportunity for Walker to get a run under his belt against gentle opposition.

and not Tutt or Levi?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
and not Tutt or Levi?

Crash got those two but wasn't sure about the other three.