Skip to main content
Topic: RD 19 : Blues Lose To Frockers (Aftermatch Angst) (Read 56029 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 19 : Blues Lose To Frockers (Aftermatch Angst)

Reply #135
I disagree with people saying it doesnt matter who is our captain... We cant have a captain who never fights back.. We cant have a captain who takes whats dished out and just puts up with it.. It sends a horrible message to the rest of the team.. Murphy has been copping punches for the last 12 weeks and never retaliates.. His form has completely gone and I think its time for Hendo to be made captain from 2014 onwards.. Either him or Brock.. 
Ive decided now that as hard as it is, if yarran is traded now, I could deal with it. as long as we get something for him worth while... He goes missing so much.. Yes he can be brilliant, but when do we ever see him put in efforts like Cyril last week did (who looked manic)... He chases once or twice a game, and uses his burners sparingly.. If he actually used his burners to get himself into space, he would get a lot more of the ball and be way more damaging.. Instead he only uses them when he has the ball in hand.. 

Eddie is having a horrid run of form and Im not against droppong him.. I think Garlett is the best of the 3 at the moment and just gets thrown in with the other two when it comes to criticism..

Rowe should be dropped.. How they've decided to extend his contract this early is beyond me.. At best he needs to be sent down back as the guy cant mark anything.

I liked Watto forward.. Good move..

Jamo is stinking it up aswell.. Dont think he feels confident without Hendo down back with him.

Walker had an absolute shocker.. Would love to see him move forward again.

Thought Lucas was good when he came on..

Carrazzo looks to be almost done with old man injuries taking their toll.. (unfortunatey).

2E Was definitely up ther with our best.. Great game..

Thought Gibbs was Ok and with the lack of help and with ten or so players having no impact, he is getting a bit too harshly criticised for last nights game IMO..

Curnow on Hill was a mistake.. Hill only ever has one good half of footy.. And he did..

Robinson seems to cop a spray every 1/4 time now... He looks slow and im not sure he will be in micks future plans..

Our midfield problem is all of them only play one way.. They are either full on negaters, or full on offensive.. None of them seem to have a good balance of both..

Army went missing..

Kreuzer was servicable but cant remember him taking a mark... Going in with one ruckman against Freo was a mistake..

Simpson again was outstanding (in relative terms).. Tried his guts out all game.. Really impressed with his last 4 weeks..

Scotto was ok but seems to have ost a touch of pace and that affects his decision making as he's got less tie to react..

Graham, Menzel, Casboult, Laidler, Waite and McInnes should all be played next week..

Happy to drop Robbo, Rowe, Betts, Yarran, Carrazzo and Cachia..

Play them ll for the rest of the season..

Reply #136
I dont think the list is going backwards. I'd be surprised if anyone else thinks that. The team is in a transitioning phase, but I dont think our development has stalled.

Not sure it's going backwards....but there are quite a number of players who aren't going forward at present.
The general opinion seems to be that despite their undoubted talent we ditch them.

I'm finding that suggestion a bit curious. ???

Reply #137
Just on Carrazzo, he's signed up until 2015! Could be an issue down the track as injury is taking it's toll on him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #138
I thought we were okay in patches in the first half but even when we were 10 points down in the third it felt like we should be 30.

I don't know, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm about us... Hard to see where we are going to get better.

Reply #139
I don't know, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm about us... Hard to see where we are going to get better.

That's the problem, it's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel, and I don't think it would matter who was coaching to be honest.
We could delist Davies, Mitchell, McCarthy, Joseph, Rowe, Hampson/Warnock, White, Laidler, Duigan and Ellard and there wouldn't be too many complaints from supporters, but that's a quarter of our list and some people would probably throw in a few more names as well.
I doubt that any of the top 4 sides have so much baggage.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #140
Amongst the anger of the loss and the capitulation in he fourth quarter there were some things that I liked about the game.

I liked how MM came out at quarter time made a beeline to Robbo for his monumental cock up by bringing the ball into the middle instead of the open man down the line. It looked firm but measured.

I liked the lead up work of Watson, maybe he can be developed as a swing man. He is dangerous from outside 50 as his goal showed.

I liked Touhys game, tough and direct down back and his goals were excellent. They were kicked running off their smalls but the commentators were too busy rabbiting on about beep test to actually follow the game.

I liked the tackling in the first 3 quarters. Freo kept holding and then dropping the ball to advantage of their players, when we should have been given countless free kicks but poor umpiring again.

Not to like, oh boy. 2014 we need two smalls in he forward line only Garlett and Armfield. Betts looks have cracked it this season it wAs reported that Eddie was a Ratten pet maybe he doesn't like the new regime. Yarran needs a trade, we had better get something good cause a kick up his clacker is what is needed.

Murphy needs to be put out if he's injured or needs to grow a set.

Gibbs, i just wonder how often he licks his own icy pole.

Rowe sub standard again.

Kruezer looks tired and was not in the ruck often enough.

Robbo, trade bait. Hard but his slide in days have been outlawed.

Let's see if there are big changes for next week.

Reply #141
No doubt Raydan there is something in this.

I apologise to Watson, he looked a spud in the VFL but capable in the AFL. He just needs to find his role and for his team mates to actually look for him!

Kreuzer will not progress as long as the relief ruckmen is a spud. Kreuzer did well in the opening, but Clarke and Sandilands rucking against Rowe is as good as giving them a rest on the bench. One ruckmen will never work, and the only other half feasible ruck option Hampson is injured anyway. We have no other option, but we must have two rucks and one less Amigo in my opinion.

When SpecialK did push forward, we kicked it at his toes. A 200cm player and we kicked it at his toes 4 or 5 times inside F50!

Sandilands showed why Warnock is useless, half fitness yet Sandilands still wins probably 90% of his CMs inside F50. Warnock has probably never beaten a player like Jamison, Henderson or Watson in his life! Plus Sandilands has some mongrel, he buried that big knee into defenders ribs three or four times. We did nothing to him in return!

Murphy is injured, but most players must play injured as some time or another and as captain you have to find a way!

Gibbs was doing OK in the midfield early in the season, why he has been dealt out of the rotations is beyond me.

Robbo should be a defensive forward, never to play midfield again!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142
Murphy needs to be put out if he's injured or needs to grow a set.

Gibbs, i just wonder how often he licks his own icy pole.

This ^^^^^^^^
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #143
Somebody said that our midfield is either all taggers or all out unaccountable attack.  I reckon that's it in a nutshell.

Until we can find a balance - or blokes that can/will do both (more ideal) we will go backwards relative to the other sides.

Something I cannot fathom is why our blokes will not run hard to create options for the blokes further up the ground.  The amount of times the defenders had the ball and kicked to contested situations because nobody presented was infuriating.

I know he is largely forgotten but that third tall defender role - either White or McInnes or Laidler would have been so handy for our defensive structure last night.  I reckon that was a costly omission,
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #144

I know he is largely forgotten but that third tall defender role - either White or McInnes or Laidler would have been so handy for our defensive structure last night.  I reckon that was a costly omission,

Think they are all injured

Reply #145
We are dumb & lazy team, Freo would work hard to close the space whereas we would just mark space & lag behind.

Reply #146
Got back from OS last night and just sat down in front of the telly just after Irish kicked his goal that put us in front in the 3rd. After that it was pretty much all donwhill. Felt like getting back on the plane. Looks to me like we're still just not good enough. How that translates in delistings at the end of the year I don't know but I have faith in Mick finding the right balance.
Guys like Robbo and Curnow should be wary. Give their all but their lack of composure and kicking skill are just too much of a negative in todays football. All the Freo boys move and kick very well.
Watson is a spud. I know this sounds like a contradiction after my previous coment, but I don't care how well he kicks. He is a false dawn. Just doesn't have the noggin. Almost Dave Warner like. Was happy when he went up forward because he scares the crapper out of me down back.
Yarran, the most lazy and inconsistant player in the team. At least Eddie gives his all when he's not playing well.
Gibbs, was playing good footy on the ball earlier now he finds himself down back again. Must be very frustrating for him. If anyone can shed some light on the greatest mystery in AFL history, Laidler not getting a game (even before his lates injury), I'd love to know what it is. 
Can't win games when so many are off the boil. Judd, Murphy etc. Carrazzo going off doesn't help. Maybe seen the end of his best football.
Very disconcerting when 2 of your better players were Simmo and Scotty. We may be on the verge of re-building before we ever got going!
Port winning today just about sews it up and good luck to them they derserve it way more than us. They've bounced back from 3rd last to be in the 8 with basically the same side.
I just hope we don't end up 9th.

Reply #147
We are dumb & lazy team, Freo would work hard to close the space whereas we would just mark space & lag behind.

Yep, they worked so much harder than we did. They knew we'd eventually fold, instead of stepping up our boys stood down.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #148
So I woke up this morning to discover the sun came up. I had a think about last nights loss and whilst Im not suggesting anything other than it was a disgusting effort and a missed opportunity, I thought we actually did well to keep up with them for 3 qtrs given the number of passengers we had (half a dozen by my reckoning). They had a good contribution right across the board and couldnt play any better than they did. Just saying.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #149
If Mark Murphy went to the Swans, he would need to spend 2 months in the two's learning how to play footy both ways.

As would Yarran, Betts and Garlett

Excellent post......
Football is life, there is nothing else....