Skip to main content
Topic: Round 3 Carlton v Essendon-Post match thread (Read 36992 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 3 Carlton v Essendon-Post match thread

Reply #30
Just on Sheehan, I like the boy. Good run, great kick and nice size too. Damn shame MM made him the sub !

Even bigger shame he didn't play..... ;)
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #31
So in 3 years we kick more goals than points... Oh wait

We don't let teams kick 5 in a row on us.... Oh wait

We form kick long into the forward line to 3 on 1's.... Oh wait

We hustle back from a TO and flood the space in their forward 50... Oh wait

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #32
Even bigger shame he didn't play..... ;)

Big Blue saw his two left foot kicks and got confused. :D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #33
Same old turnovers and poor kicking for goal killed us. We won the contested possession and clearances easily I believe.

Was pleased with Cripps' performance - a future star in the making for us IMO. Also Bell, I can't believe I'm saying this, looked a bit better.

Byrne looked promising also, but in limited game time.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34
Cripps
Byrne
Whiley
Jaksch
Menzel
Buckley
Docherty
are all exciting young players .........let's play them

Casboult to get the 50m arc with Walker when either Kreuzer or Warnock return.

Wood, Curnow, Ellard, Rowe, Tutt are solid VFL players & no more than that!

Yes, everyone of them must play if you're rebuilding. Might find refreshing the list like that might produce some surprising results. None of these slow tagger through the guts. Carrazzo been a great player for this club but he's gone past it.

Reply #35
i see Whiley got 29 possys in the two's, liker you can't wait to get him in.'

Trust me when I say, Whiley was the major prize in that trade deal, Jaksch was the steak knives !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #36
Same old turnovers and poor kicking for goal killed us. We won the contested possession and clearances easily I believe.

Was pleased with Cripps' performance - a future star in the making for us IMO. Also Bell, I can't believe I'm saying this, looked a bit better.

Byrne looked promising also, but in limited game time.

Cripps was great and looks very self assured, Byrne is a good colt, nice kicking skills and liked the way he chases.......Bell...well same old same old IMO....not good enough.

Jones and Casboult were next to useless...kudos to Wood...beat Bellchambers and tried hard, ..Touhy was ok, thought Simpson was only average until late in the game.

Muphy tried hard but did do much with the ball.....

Reply #37
Yarran won't be playing for a couple of weeks. Perhaps a chance to bring in Boekhorst to play a similar role of run and carry.

Curnow got the red vest and may get a full game next week in a team that used to be red.

Cripps is displaying the same kind of 'diesel hands' that his highlights video showed. Coming along beautifully.

Loved Armfield being back in the side. He has the never say die attitude that our team has been lacking and i reckon his hand in a goal in the last quarter got the boys up. Has to be in the side next week.

Byrne showed a bit. Nothing really negative to say about him will get some more games, but still needs a run in the 2's to actually get some game time.

All in all a good effort considering the last 2 weeks and a potentially 3 blowout on the cards. Fought it out and dominated the clearances. If only we could kick straight, we'd have 4 points on the board.

Reply #38
I thought Ellard played with a bit of spirit - I liked it.
Whiley in for Curnow.

Reply #39
Really liked Cripps' game
A good set of stats too

22 disposals,
15 contested possessions (equal best for us)
Clearances 5,
inside 50s 6
Tackles 4
one knock is that his disposal efficiency was only 50% but a lot of his disposals were under pressure.

His game time was a little less than the majority of players too

Reply #40
11.18 is just unacceptable given many were absolute sitters. Sav has some work to do. Lots of goal kicking practice this week.

Reply #41
Carlton forwards getting sucked up the ground far too often was either good coaching by Hird or dumb football by our forwards. I assumed Ellard was our key forward for large parts of the 2nd quarter in particular. WTF!?

Ciaran Byrne is a deadset ripper, welcome to a long career son, what a wonderful free spirit he has & is a wonderful kick of the ball. Well done Dennis Armfield for step 1 of saving your career - apart from your first kick of the game which was on-the-full & ending up costing us a goal.....your speed, tenacity & desire at the man and the contest is something that has been sorely missing from this team.

Ed Curnow had an absolute shocker - 3 goals kicked on him, with a lot of flaws exposed. He can't afford to be having shockers like that.

I wouldn't be patting Sam Rowe on the back too much after that performance - how many largely uncontested marks did his direct opponents take? Not good enough Sam.

Judd's last quarter was sublime, but for the team to suddenly find another gear as Essendon tired badly isn't a way to win games of footy. Happy to see Cripps step-up today, although his opponent for most of the day: Watson, taught him a football lesson.

Reply #42
Trust me when I say, Whiley was the major prize in that trade deal, Jaksch was the steak knives !!

If that's the case, if Boekhorst can do something too, pick 7 will be a winner.

Reply #43
Oh - and btw, that horrific interfence/shepherding rule in marking contests will ruin this game. Those 2 decisions that went Essendon's way were absolute howlers.

Reply #44
had to like ess game plan watched it live ,players getting back , pressure on opp,30 m short passes there plan was to smart for us .give there quick players space at 1 stage it was like watching a soccer game ,counted 4 ess def across hbf just waiting so predictable,1 last thing that last quarter effort seen all before (bullcrap).