Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 8: Northern Blues vs. Coburg (Read 30198 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 8: Northern Blues vs. Coburg

Reply #30
Either that or he was best on ground and they couldn't remember how to spell his name, or forgot to mention him at all. ;D
I know he cost us little but he's on a 3 year deal, I hope we have a performance based clause in there somewhere as I can't stand the thought of him running around in the 2nds on a good contract.

The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #31
Or he may click into gear like the rest of them did and kick a few bags! :P

Really can't understand what you see in this guy. He is a dud.
Has proven it time and again. Another disaster pick.

Reply #32
Sexybronco,

Liam Jones needs to be tried in the senior squad as a defender. He is agile enough when the ball comes to ground and I am sure he will learn the art of spoiling the ball. He may offer us more than we think. Rowe couldn't be a gem of a forward, but is a good defender. Lets us try Henderson forward permanently. I agree Jones on a 3 year deal can't be left playing for the Northern Blues.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #33
Another solid performance by Watto with two goals. Will he get a run at it? Not likely with Cas and Kreuz in the side.

Not a "cracking performance" ?
How good must casboults stats in the preseason have been then !!
WOW !
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #34
Totally agree Jones to CHB makes a lot of sense.

Tall forwards who don't tend to have that knack of finding a lot of the ball tend to benefit from having someone else to follow around. Jones would appear to fit. He's got really strong hands which would add a lot to our defense.

Reply #35
Totally agree Jones to CHB makes a lot of sense.

Tall forwards who don't tend to have that knack of finding a lot of the ball tend to benefit from having someone else to follow around. Jones would appear to fit. He's got really strong hands which would add a lot to our defense.

Certainly worth trying him there in the NBs. We definitely need to look at all options to get value from him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36
Certainly worth trying him there in the NBs. We definitely need to look at all options to get value from him.

I agree cookie, while I don't think he has strong hands, I don't see anything wrong with trying him at chb... IN THE BULLANTS.
He has done nothing to justify a sustained run at chb in the senior team, if however he can string some performances together in the seconds I'll be happy to see him promoted, same with Watson, I'll leave others to judge watsons performance in the conditions.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #37
I agree cookie, while I don't think he has strong hands, I don't see anything wrong with trying him at chb... IN THE BULLANTS.
He has done nothing to justify a sustained run at chb in the senior team, if however he can string some performances together in the seconds I'll be happy to see him promoted, same with Watson, I'll leave others to judge watsons performance in the conditions.
might be worth trying as he, like Watto, lacks creativity and proactivity. LJ might not have the tank for the wing but perhaps he could be an extra-tall forward flanker. Did spend time in the ruck but he's not physically suited. As has been said,  others are ahead.Looks to me like he needs structure and non-negotiables to follow until it's all ingrained and he doesn't think twice.  Reckon he wants to do the right thing but hasn't got the key.

Reply #38
Sexybronco,

Liam Jones needs to be tried in the senior squad as a defender. He is agile enough when the ball comes to ground and I am sure he will learn the art of spoiling the ball. He may offer us more than we think. Rowe couldn't be a gem of a forward, but is a good defender. Lets us try Henderson forward permanently. I agree Jones on a 3 year deal can't be left playing for the Northern Blues.

Good to see someone else agree with me that Jones should be turned into a key defender. At least trialled there for a decent length of time.

It ain't working as a forward but as a defender with his pace, agility and size he would be more than worth a shot.

He would learn from it also.

It must happen IMO and happen now.

Re Walsh - promote him for Judd now.

Fields can't be too far off either. He's another we have in the wings as rookie waiting for his opportunity.

Reply #39
Must play David Ellard in the seniors.
We need to build our culture the right way.
23 posessions, 10 clearances, 3 Goals in a narrow loss.

It wouldnt be fair for him not to get a game in the ones on the back of that effort.  Sends the right message.  I keep being reminded we are getting beaten anyway, and if we are going to do so, this is one part of the puzzle we need to get right.

What has happened to Skittles?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
Must play David Ellard in the seniors.
We need to build our culture the right way.
23 posessions, 10 clearances, 3 Goals in a narrow loss.

It wouldnt be fair for him not to get a game in the ones on the back of that effort.  Sends the right message.  I keep being reminded we are getting beaten anyway, and if we are going to do so, this is one part of the puzzle we need to get right.

What has happened to Skittles?

I'd be going for youth rather than the tried and failed......promote one of Walsh, Fields and Gowers is the way forward IMO, Holman is another we need to try.
Ellard is a handy player in the VFL only IMO and while I take your point about rewarding effort we have been down this path with him before and it always
ends with him failing in the seniors and returning to the VFL...

Reply #41
I'd be going for youth rather than the tried and failed......promote one of Walsh, Fields and Gowers is the way forward IMO, Holman is another we need to try.
Ellard is a handy player in the VFL only IMO and while I take your point about rewarding effort we have been down this path with him before and it always

Sure Elwood, and thats why you delist him or trade him at the end of the season because he has been tested and found wanting, but whilst he is with us earning a game the right way, he is setting an example to follow, and the onus is on others to displace him from the seniors, rather than just black ban him for not being good enough.

This is the way to build our culture.  In a weekend where Yarran and Ellard both got 23 posessions in the VFL, one was bog and the other was probably his usual classy self, but probably just went.

Chapman was made to wait 4 weeks before getting senior elevation under Thompson back then.  We seem to be rewarding players for being young, and for being talented, and not necessarily for playing well.  That to me is a sure sign of a club that is not holding itself to high enough standards IMHO.  We made the same mistakes with Brock Mclean a few years ago under Ratten as well.  He was frozen out of the seniors even though he was performing at a class above the VFL.  This is a run of games where Ellard has done what it takes to get a game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42

Spot on. Sad, but true.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #43
Sorry, no more Ellard in the seniors. He is not part of our future and we must be looking seriously at other options. Thanks Davie for all your hard work and years of service.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #44
Liam Jones obviously didn't play otherwise his name would have been up in lights??
He did play, but he didn't do a lot from the sounds of things. He took a couple of marks. That is all I know.
Live Long and Prosper!