Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 8: Northern Blues vs. Coburg (Read 30386 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 8: Northern Blues vs. Coburg

Reply #45
Barker, I would be building the blocks for my future midfield right now.

Under Murphy and Gibbs:
- Cripps, Graham, Holman, Walsh, Whiley, Gowers.

These are the guys we must play as much as possible.

Cripps and Graham should play out the year, Cripps ofcourse but Graham too hopefully will only get better,

Holman absolutely deserves a crack and so does Walsh. Those two in ASAP added to Cripps and Graham.

I'd like to get Boekhorst in and maybe even look at half-back for him but I reckon he's creative enough to get a go. Maybe for Tutt.

Reply #46
Must play David Ellard in the seniors.
We need to build our culture the right way.
23 posessions, 10 clearances, 3 Goals in a narrow loss.

It wouldnt be fair for him not to get a game in the ones on the back of that effort.  Sends the right message.  I keep being reminded we are getting beaten anyway, and if we are going to do so, this is one part of the puzzle we need to get right.

What has happened to Skittles?

Only if he was meeting his KPI's though right  ;)

What was his defensive pressure like, considering he'll be playing the small forward role?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #47
Only if he was meeting his KPI's though right  ;)

What was his defensive pressure like, considering he'll be playing the small forward role?

Thry wanted us to extend Mick's contract on the back of last year's shakey season, to sign up Barker now, to take invaluable experience from our up and commers and give it to guys we want to delist.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to sink the club :P

Reply #48
Thry wanted us to extend Mick's contract on the back of last year's shakey season, to sign up Barker now, to take invaluable experience from our up and commers and give it to guys we want to delist.

Thats some massive para phrasing right there.

Ill leave it at that.  No point uncovering ground already covered.  Time to move forward and If Barker still wants the senior gig at our club after being in the main man's shoes for a little while, good luck to him.

The pressure cooker will turn up in about 2.5 years regardless of what happens.

It's a privilidge to play for Carlton.  Something some of the boys might need to learn.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
I was at the game yesterday but missed most of the first quarter.

Liam Jones struggled all day and was largely ineffective from what I saw. He tried hard and ran to contests but what I noticed most he seems to get there second a lot and his overhead marking wasn't dominant even though he was larger than many of the players around him. I think what others posters have written about him is true - he does actually play small.

I thought that Jaksch was okay in parts and seemed to lose a bit of confidence when he made a few mistakes - admittedly one of them probably ended up costing us the game in the last quarter when he simply had to mark, spilt it and then that allowed a two on one for Coburg to basically seal the match. He did however slot a fantastic goal from nearly 60m out and whilst he had the wind with him it never looked like missing on about a 45 degree angle. Quite a hoof. It would be interesting to see how he went as a forward because there is a bit to work with I think.

Other talls such as Watson really lumbered around and I just don't see him ever really getting any better than he is but he does have a nice kick on him at times.

I thought Yarran looked disinterested at times and a couple of those possessions really belong to others who actually kicked back to him to give him the ball and you could see the feeling was Yarran was the better ball user so they kicked it to him. Unfortunately he tried too much at times and many of his kicks were not the usual high standard. Also missing from his game was the running drive and he just seemed to trot around rather than get involved. No doubt in my mind he could be one of the best players in the comp if he wanted to be.

Reply #50
Did Boekhurst and Whiley play?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #51

Sorry Thry but that is pretty funny, and has an element of truth to it, other than the 'trying to sink the club' comment of course! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #52
Must play David Ellard in the seniors.
We need to build our culture the right way.
23 posessions, 10 clearances, 3 Goals in a narrow loss.

It wouldnt be fair for him not to get a game in the ones on the back of that effort.  Sends the right message.  I keep being reminded we are getting beaten anyway, and if we are going to do so, this is one part of the puzzle we need to get right.

What has happened to Skittles?

Given that we are going to be getting Yarran, Gibbs and possibly Diasy and Jamison back in the side after the break, how do you propose we fit Ellard in with that?

Tutt probably looks odds on to make way...apart from that, no easy targets to send back to the 2's after the crows match.
Army is usually one to make way, but given he kicked 2 goals, be a bit harsh to drop him.

Who else makes way?

Graham, Menzel, Buckley??

Can't fit ellard in.

Reply #53
Did Boekhurst and Whiley play?
Don't think Whiley did. If he did, he didn't do much. I can't find any mention of him and he is good enough that he should get a mention against Coburg.
Boekhorst played and did OK. He had one very good quarter. Not so much in the other 3, but OK. Not mentioned in the best and probably shouldn't have been.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54
I was at the game yesterday but missed most of the first quarter.

Liam Jones struggled all day and was largely ineffective from what I saw. He tried hard and ran to contests but what I noticed most he seems to get there second a lot and his overhead marking wasn't dominant even though he was larger than many of the players around him. I think what others posters have written about him is true - he does actually play small.

I thought that Jaksch was okay in parts and seemed to lose a bit of confidence when he made a few mistakes - admittedly one of them probably ended up costing us the game in the last quarter when he simply had to mark, spilt it and then that allowed a two on one for Coburg to basically seal the match. He did however slot a fantastic goal from nearly 60m out and whilst he had the wind with him it never looked like missing on about a 45 degree angle. Quite a hoof. It would be interesting to see how he went as a forward because there is a bit to work with I think.

Other talls such as Watson really lumbered around and I just don't see him ever really getting any better than he is but he does have a nice kick on him at times.

I thought Yarran looked disinterested at times and a couple of those possessions really belong to others who actually kicked back to him to give him the ball and you could see the feeling was Yarran was the better ball user so they kicked it to him. Unfortunately he tried too much at times and many of his kicks were not the usual high standard. Also missing from his game was the running drive and he just seemed to trot around rather than get involved. No doubt in my mind he could be one of the best players in the comp if he wanted to be.

Jaksch was a great forward as a junior (Vic CHF from memory) and knows where and when to present for the ball, which is exactly what Liam Jones can't do. I don't see him as a natural defender and I'd definitely like to see him given a go in the forward line.

It's pretty basic, Jones back and Jaksch forward.

Reply #55
Don't think Whiley did. If he did, he didn't do much. I can't find any mention of him and he is good enough that he should get a mention against Coburg.
Boekhorst played and did OK. He had one very good quarter. Not so much in the other 3, but OK. Not mentioned in the best and probably shouldn't have been.

Thanks Crash.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #56
Jaksch was a great forward as a junior (Vic CHF from memory) and knows where and when to present for the ball, which is exactly what Liam Jones can't do. I don't see him as a natural defender and I'd definitely like to see him given a go in the forward line.

It's pretty basic, Jones back and Jaksch forward.

We are stuck with Jones for two years so anything is worth a shot...Jacksh was a swingman for the Oakleigh Chargers and did play CHF more often than not, his marking was the feature of his play.
Hendersons future may dictate where Jaksch plays.....

Reply #57
Henderson Back, with Rowe and Jamison when fit. That sets the defence.

Casboult and Kruezer as forwards with obvious spells in the ruck. I reckon that leaves Jaskch jones or Watson and you know my feelings on the other two. Jaskch as a third tall with Everitt and walker floating through there as your mobile running fourth tall.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #58
Thanks Crash.
The Coyote played in the midfield but didn't do a whole lot, perhaps a couple of kicks and handballs. Can't really recall him in the first half.

Reply #59
Henderson Back, with Rowe and Jamison when fit. That sets the defence.

Casboult and Kruezer as forwards with obvious spells in the ruck. I reckon that leaves Jaskch jones or Watson and you know my feelings on the other two. Jaskch as a third tall with Everitt and walker floating through there as your mobile running fourth tall.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Exactly as I see it also.

Use Jones in the NBs as a defender to teach him how to work and work hard. Just might be able to get something out of him there. As a forward though, forget it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17