Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 8: Northern Blues vs. Coburg (Read 30391 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 8: Northern Blues vs. Coburg

Reply #75
That is a really tall lineup and not so mobile.

I'd prefer 2 of those 3 listed as backs with your 3rd 'tall' White.

You can't play Casboult, Kreuzer and Jaksch in the same forwardline and expect Everitt to fit in there as well. Without a genuine crumbing forward to mop up. Menzel will probably be down there too who plays best as another marking forward.

That forwardline will have the ball cleared out of defence quicker than Yarran with open space.

Personally i wouldn't mind see Hendo+Kreuzer up forward with only one of Wood/Casboult in the side. Throw in Jaksch, Everitt, White and Walker to play your 3rd+4th backs and forwards and you have a better balanced side.

Yeah I'd prefer Everitt and Walker both to play forward. Probably Yarran too. We need to kick some goals.

Cas, MK and Hendo may rotate through there too. All three of them though are more plodders.

Keep Cas closer to goal and let the more mobile and quicker Everitt, Walker and White patrol further afield.

I'm not keen on White playing in defence too often.

Jaksch will have to get in line right now but there'll be an opening soon enough knowing us.

Reply #76
There will be weeks where guys get a game by default, but when there is genuine competition for a senior spot, the only critieria being judged to give a player a spot on the team should be how they have been performing to get that opportunity.  Shouldnt it?

No
Ahead of that must come which player offers the most in terms of value to the senior side.

Normally I'm all for rewarding effort.

Had Yarran sulked around in the VFL I'd support him having some more time at the lower level.

But
Ellard 23
Yarran 23

Which player is likely to reproduce that at senior level?
If we play a similar style of football to last weekend which player is likely to fit better into the senior team?

Yarran is at a really important stage in his Carlton career.
How we handle him could be the making or breaking of him as a Carlton player.
He appears to be playing angry and frustrated at the moment.
That seems to be showing through in his attitude at other times.(punctuality etc)

I understand the reasons for taking a stand and keeping him in the lower grade.
It might work.....but he might also drop his bundle in which case he's probably finished as a Carlton player.
Fair enough some might say.
That's the simple solution...pack him off.
We'll get something for him.

But if we play it the other way and promote him and support him through this period, getting him playing with a bit of enthusiasm again, the benefits to us are obvious.

At the end of the day it's really up to the "people managers" at the club and Yarran's own attitude.
We can't do much about the latter and we've proven to be pretty hopeless at the managing the "troubled player" side of things.

This is a bit of a test for the club.

Reply #77
No
Ahead of that must come which player offers the most in terms of value to the senior side.

Had Yarran sulked around in the VFL I'd support him having some more time at the lower level.

But
Ellard 23
Yarran 23

If we play a similar style of football to last weekend which player is likely to fit better into the senior team?

That seems to be showing through in his attitude at other times.(punctuality etc)

It might work.....but he might also drop his bundle in which case he's probably finished as a Carlton player.

But if we play it the other way and promote him and support him through this period, getting him playing with a bit of enthusiasm again, the benefits to us are obvious.

At the end of the day it's really up to the "people managers" at the club and Yarran's own attitude.
We can't do much about the latter and we've proven to be pretty hopeless at the managing the "troubled player" side of things.

I understand what you're saying lods, but I think the more important question with Yarran is WHY he seems to be playing angry...
Is it his personal life ?
Is/was he dissatisfied with mm/coaching/gameplan ?
Is he feeling outcast because Eddie and Jeff aren't here anymore ?
Is he playing injured and thus frustrated ?
Does he actually want to be somewhere else ?

Depending on if there is a problem and what it is will have a large bearing on what we as a club can do...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #78
No

But
Ellard 23
Yarran 23

Pay that as a reason why you would look at promoting Yarran, but I don't believe you would do it at the expense of Ellard as that does send the wrong message.

The team must come first, so if you were to promote Yarran on that performance, you would look at other places where things are not quite coming together and playing angry and frustrated may be one more reason to leave him in the VFL to help him calm down.  So you sell it to him differently regarding senior footy, and you tell him its a pressure release.  Go back to the VFL, enjoy your footy for a change, and the pressure is off regarding performing.  Just get out there, and enjoy yourself for a bit, and let us know when you are feeling better about playing senior footy and perhaps a little less frustrated.

For all we know, he is angry at the footy club for the decision making they have employed over the past few years for no result and gone regardless, in which case playing him now will not make any difference regarding what he does moving forward.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #79
Or maybe he was just pissed at the direction the club was headed under Mick?

Either way, promoting Ellard over Yarran would be one of the worst football decisions made in the history of any club. Ellard has time and time again provided himself to be not up to senior football. Even pushing Yarran to one side, playing Ellard full stop is just plain stupid. Been there, done that, time to move on. I just hope our club has taken a step forward with regards to this.

TBF Thry, some of your suggestions are so far off the mark ATM I'm wondering whether you are deliberately trying to be provocative.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #80
Or maybe he was just pissed at the direction the club was headed under Mick?

Either way, promoting Ellard over Yarran would be one of the worst football decisions made in the history of any club. Ellard has time and time again provided himself to be not up to senior football. Even pushing Yarran to one side, playing Ellard full stop is just plain stupid. Been there, done that, time to move on. I just hope our club has taken a step forward with regards to this.

TBF Thry, some of your suggestions are so far off the mark ATM I'm wondering whether you are deliberately trying to be provocative.

Not in this case.  Its about setting standards.  You perform in the VFL, you get a senior opportunity.  That way the Matthew Watsons, Dillon Vjojo-Rainbows. Patrick Cripps, and any other youngster who gets to Carlton knows, its not about how talented you are, but how hard you are willing to work to get your opportunity.

They won't die wondering, and if supremely talented blokes don't get a game, they will know exactly why.

We haven't set the standards for a long time at Carlton, and I believe that this is something we should start getting right.  I can think of no better time to make these statements than when you are sitting dead last.

Paul Hewson

Reply #81
Not in this case.  Its about setting standards.  You perform in the VFL, you get a senior opportunity.  That way the Matthew Watsons, Dillon Vjojo-Rainbows. Patrick Cripps, and any other youngster who gets to Carlton knows, its not about how talented you are, but how hard you are willing to work to get your opportunity.

They won't die wondering, and if supremely talented blokes don't get a game, they will know exactly why.

We haven't set the standards for a long time at Carlton, and I believe that this is something we should start getting right.  I can think of no better time to make these statements than when you are sitting dead last.

What we desperately need at this stage is to start winning games of football or at least be competitive.
We must field the team that gives us the best opportunity to do that.

I find it a bit strange to be arguing this because I've always been an "effort" man.
I like players like Simon Wiggins, Luke O'Sullivan and probably our best "good average player" ever Adrian Hickmott (wouldn't we love to have a few like him at the moment)
They make the best of sometimes limited talent.
I even have a soft spot for Ellard, because I think he gives a 100%
But the thing is, we won't be a great side until fringe players like Ellard aren't in the selection equation.

Effort really counts for little in the long run if you don't have the talent.
It's ability that will get you the games.
If those fringe players work their bums off they just might get a game ahead of a more talented player through their performances.
But the talented player will, and should always have the edge.
A combination of effort and ability should be the standard we're looking for in our players.

Reply #82
What we desperately need at this stage is to start winning games of football or at least be competitive.
We must field the team that gives us the best opportunity to do that.

I find it a bit strange to be arguing this because I've always been an "effort" man.
I like players like Simon Wiggins, Luke O'Sullivan and probably our best "good average player" ever Adrian Hickmott (wouldn't we love to have a few like him at the moment)
They make the best of sometimes limited talent.
I even have a soft spot for Ellard, because I think he gives a 100%
But the thing is we won't be a great side until fringe players like Ellard aren't in the selection equation.

Effort really counts for little in the long run if you donlt have the talent.
It's ability that will get you the games.
If those fringe players work their bums off they just might get a game ahead of a more talented player through their performances.
But the talented player will, and should always have the edge.
A combination of effort and ability should be the standard we're looking for in our players.

Like it. Good summary. And that's the harsh reality of it all.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #83
This is like polishing your car before taking it to the wreckers. I like ensuring my car always looks in tip top shape but you have to be practical too.

Reply #84

Regardless of all this Yarran talk....

You still want Ellard to be picked ahead of Gibbs, Jamison and Daisy?
Ok, Judd is out...possibly drop Tutt. Who else are you dropping to fit them in?

You will end up having to drop a kid from the side to play Ellard. A kid who performed reasonably well. You want to set standards and reward effort...and that is by dropping kids?

Convince me.
Tell me your the ins and outs for our next game.

To choose from you've got our squad from the crows (minus judd) plus Gibbs, Jamison, Daisy, Yarran and Ellard to choose from.
Go.

Reply #85
Compare that Set up to some of the better teams

Freo - Johnson, McPharlin, Dawson (when fit) - Pavlich/Clarke/Taberner/Mayne
West Coast - Schofield, McGovern, Mckenzie/Brown (if fit) - Kennedy/Sinclair/McInnes/Darling
Sydney - Richards/Grundy/Reid - Buddy/Tippet/Goodes/
Hawks -  Lake/Frawley/Statton/Shoenmakers - Roughy/Hale/Gunston/

Thats fine. Compare our KPPs against theirs. What you will find is that we are not as mobile, agile, fit, accurate or good in the air, or on the ground as them.

How many AA's coleman medals and premierships have that lot got. You know what ours have? Nada and zilch by comparison.

It's not strictly the 'tall' part, its the overall ability. Our talls are not good enough in other areas to demand selection in the numbers you suggest.

Reply #87
Regardless of all this Yarran talk....

You still want Ellard to be picked ahead of Gibbs, Jamison and Daisy?
Ok, Judd is out...possibly drop Tutt. Who else are you dropping to fit them in?

You will end up having to drop a kid from the side to play Ellard. A kid who performed reasonably well. You want to set standards and reward effort...and that is by dropping kids?

Convince me.
Tell me your the ins and outs for our next game.

To choose from you've got our squad from the crows (minus judd) plus Gibbs, Jamison, Daisy, Yarran and Ellard to choose from.
Go.

The easy answer is yes. Ellard ahead of them.  Gibbs has not earned a game in his career yet, it's been gifted to him.  Jamo is fairly cooked, so is daisy.

Paul Hewson

Reply #88
The easy answer is yes. Ellard ahead of them.  Gibbs has not earned a game in his career yet, it's been gifted to him.  Jamo is fairly cooked, so is daisy.

You're insane.

Reply #89

Ellard ahead of Gibbs...lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gibbs, our reigning best and fairest, not earned a game in his career.....lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other gems to lighten up pour Friday night?...lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!