Skip to main content
Topic: Round 15 Post Game Thread - Blues v Tigers  (Read 51486 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 15 Post Game Thread - Blues v Tigers

Reply #105
If Henderson keeps playing the way he has been playing of late for the rest of the season, he will be cheap to sign up again. Then again he will be a cheap pick up for the Cats.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #106
If Henderson keeps playing the way he has been playing of late for the rest of the season, he will be cheap to sign up again. Then again he will be a cheap pick up for the Cats.

I hope this is not planned....

Reply #107
It was interesting in Barkers post game presser the idea of playing Hendo back was raised by a questioner. Barker's response was lukewarm to say the least, so it looks like he'll be staying forward unless cards were being held close to the chest.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #108
Most have  improved since MM has left but I will disagree on this one and have not been that taken with Henderson this season down forward, I will accept his supply/delivery has been poor
but I think he has lacked strength in contesting including his marking and in several games he has hardly touched the football.

In a nutshell, he has shown himself to have very little ticker. 9 kicks and six marks is his average.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #109
It was interesting in Barkers post game presser the idea of playing Hendo back was raised by a questioner. Barker's response was lukewarm to say the least, so it looks like he'll be staying forward unless cards were being held close to the chest.

Look at it this way, if Hendo goes back, we'll probably have to play Jones or Watson up forward, and potentially drop one of Jamo/Rowe...or maybe someone like fields.

Hendo back is a better player.
Hendo back makes the team worse....as counter-intuitive as it is.

Reply #110
Look at it this way, if Hendo goes back, we'll probably have to play Jones or Watson up forward, and potentially drop one of Jamo/Rowe...or maybe someone like fields.

Hendo back is a better player.
Hendo back makes the team worse....as counter-intuitive as it is.

So.................

Reply #111
CARLTON great Robert Walls has urged Carlton to banish Chris Yarran to the VFL for at least the next two matches after what he termed a “disgraceful” performance against Richmond on Friday night.

And Walls also targeted three Blues forwards — Lachie Henderson, Andrejs Everitt and Troy Menzel — for their substandard efforts.

“If Carlton let him (Yarran) play next week I think it is poor form by the Carlton coaching staff,” Walls told AFL Live on Saturday. “He deserves to have two weeks playing reserve grade football.

“Yarran is a talented player, but talent doesn’t get you too far in football today. His workrate is disgraceful, he picks and chooses when he goes for the football (and) he has got a chip on his shoulder.

“Remember the incident with (Paul) Chapman and after that he came back and was doing little snipes here and there. He has got an attitude problem.”

Yarran gave away a 50m penalty during the second quarter on Friday night when he flung his hand at a ball being returned to Trent Cotchin, who nailed the resultant goal at a crucial time.

Walls said of the incident: “(It was) just a smart-alec flippant flick of the ball as it was being thrown back ... and Cotchin of course goes back to kick the goal.”

But the man who coached the Blues to the 1987 premiership, and also played in three flags, was just as frustrated by several other Carlton players who gave limited efforts on Friday night.

“The effort from Carlton just wasn’t there,” he said. “I thought Marc Murphy was terrific ... the skipper got targeted on the night and that’s fair enough, but he kept getting up and giving his absolute best.

“(Matthew) Kreuzer was another and there were a few others. But there were about four or five who I thought were disgraceful in their lack of effort, and I am talking about Yarran, Everitt, Menzel and Henderson.

“Everitt doesn’t tackle; he is a forward who has no workrate to lock the ball in.

“Menzel doesn’t put the tackles on like you expect of a small forward. If I was coaching Menzel, I would say the next month this is your program — ‘three weeks of intensive training and no playing, then I would say you have a week in the reserves and then we play the last four games in the seniors to finish the year’ because he is going nowhere and embarrassing himself and the club at the moment.

“I agree thoroughly with what Wayne Carey said, Henderson as a key forward, plays with absolutely no aggression, and no grunt, no force and no pressure. They tell me clubs are out there interested in getting Lachie Henderson, well on the performances I have seen in the past month, I wouldn’t touch him.”

Walls said it was time more Carlton players were prepared to look after Murphy, who was given little assistance from the barrage he copped from the Tigers on Friday night.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-great-robert-walls-says-chris-yarran-should-be-dropped-slams-blues-performance-against-tigers/story-fni5f5nx-1227438238586

Great to have you back Wallsy and good to see you are reading my posts. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #112
Reading Wallsy, whose opinions I respect, tells me that the attitude problems within our list are still very much ongoing and that if we are to fix them the offenders now need to be gone. Following a bit of a recovery when Barker took over we seem to be lapsing back into our bad ways. As the song says " Been workin'  and workin' but we still have a terribly long way to go".

If the people won't change then we have to change the people! The time is here.

Reply #113
I think Wallsy has had a look at one game and made up his mind.

He does shoot from the lip a bit. Hendo had been pretty good till Friday, Everitt has weaknesses, but he's been very very good for us this month.

Yarran and Menz have been poop.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #114

He does shoot from the lip a bit. Hendo had been pretty good till Friday, Everitt has weaknesses, but he's been very very good for us this month.

Yarran and Menz have been poop.

Walls' observations about Hendo's aggression, Everitt, Yarran and Menzel's tackling are 100% on the money even when we have been playing better. Their recent good games are due to benefiting from the work-rate of others like Graham, Holman and Cripps not their own. We know Menzel and Yarran have it so why they are not producing is a mystery.

Sadly I think Everitt and Hendo are both introverts who don't have the mental approach and aggression required for the roles they want to play. It's the old too many introverts argument again, and the opposition to take full advantage! And one reason Cripps stands out is because his willingness to talk and direct contrasts heavily against the rest of our list like a dog turd on a seafood platter! :o

Further, clearly we have no unity. You wouldn't want to be in the trenches with this lot, you'd turn around and find yourself the only one left there! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #115
Reading Wallsy, whose opinions I respect, tells me that the attitude problems within our list are still very much ongoing and that if we are to fix them the offenders now need to be gone. Following a bit of a recovery when Barker took over we seem to be lapsing back into our bad ways. As the song says " Been workin'  and workin' but we still have a terribly long way to go".

Not really Cookie. We had a terrible side out there last week and also lost Cripps in the last quarter but really should have won. This week we were down for sure but never stopped trying (bar Yarran, Everitt and Menzel). 35 points down after conceding four goals straight we would've packed it in and got beat by 10+ goals under the previous regime but we stuck it out and really should have challenged again has the umpiring allowed us to.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #116

CIMM. He's averaging 9 kicks, 6 marks and 1.4 goals per game. Add to that around 1 tackle per game and the bloke is a passenger. He has not improved at all in the last 3-4 years.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #117
Not really Cookie. We had a terrible side out there last week and also lost Cripps in the last quarter but really should have won. This week we were down for sure but never stopped trying (bar Yarran, Everitt and Menzel). 35 points down after conceding four goals straight we would've packed it in and got beat by 10+ goals under the previous regime but we stuck it out and really should have challenged again has the umpiring allowed us to.

OK good points Carrots, but you mentioned three who weren't trying on Fri and they should all be under close scrutiny from now on. Another effort like that from those guys and they should all get a spell in the NBs AFAIC. It should be nipped in the bud quickly.

Reply #118
I agree I reckon if Yarran isn't injured or mentally distracted by a serious matter he should definitely be dropped. Menzel a no brainer but Everitt deserves a chance as he has been a potent attacking weapon recently. Hendo as always does enough to stay in for sure, he's serviceable but that's it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #119
CIMM. He's averaging 9 kicks, 6 marks and 1.4 goals per game. Add to that around 1 tackle per game and the bloke is a passenger. He has not improved at all in the last 3-4 years.
Yeah nah.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................