Skip to main content
Topic: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn Pre Game Pontifications (Read 35667 times) previous topic - next topic

Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn Pre Game Pontifications

Having seen some of Hawthorn's display on TV last night, next Friday night's game is not looking good.
[1] Hawthorn appear to have hit form and are playing very well.
[2] Hawthorn appear to hit (or knee) players and get away with it. We get suspended if we put any physical pressure on.
[3] We will not be able to get anything like our best 22 on the park. Even if we get a few guys back, we seem to lose somebody irreplaceable each week.
[4] The honeymoon appears over for Johnny Barker. We have returned to some fairly negative football and have a lot of players playing without a lot of passion. The run and willingness to take risks just hasn't been there.
[5] We haven't beaten Hawthorn for so long that many supporters have never seen it happen. I would LOVE to see us reverse this trend, as we have been getting closer and closer in recent times. However, we just don't have the cattle at this point of time.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn Pre Game Pontifications

Reply #1
Eek.

That said, I would absolutely LOVE for us to go down swinging. No chance of winning so let's square the ledger from past thuggery.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
#believe

If we can manage to get Marc Murphy off his usual gig of being the Official AFL punching bag and back to being the most dangerous mid going inside 50 in the comp again we're a shot of getting within 10 goals.

Reply #3
We'll win this. :D
...and here's why...

Hawthorn have played what they probably regard as their two biggest rivals for the flag in the last two weeks and done the job easily.
They would have been building up for a couple of tough games and will look at this one next week as a "break".
You wouldn't think they'd face it with near the same intensity.
You could almost guarantee a let-down.
Whether that's enough to drop an "unloseable" game is doubtful...... but a season sometimes turns up an improbable result like this one

Reply #4
We can always hope but I don't expect to reverse our trend of losses to the Thugees this game. I will be there - our seats are conveniently located near the exit in case an early retreat is necessary!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Get smacked probably by 15 goals given the form lines of the two teams unless the Hawks decide to rest some star players.....

Reply #6
White to Mitchell, given the good job he did on Fyfe ?

Reply #7
I will be happy if we can stay within 10 goals of the Hawks in the next game. For the first half to start with. Then we will see how things go in the second half. I just hope we don't get too many injuries in this game.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #8
White to Mitchell, given the good job he did on Fyfe ?

Cripps to Mitchell.

Like for like, give the kid something to look up to in the future.

White to Hodge.....bring the popcorn.  >:D

Reply #9
We've got some good taggers and a couple of good half backs in Docherty and Tuohy, we've also got a better ruckman.
We'll get well beaten but I don't think it will get near 100 points.
Menzel is out of chances surely, Jaksch in for him is the only change I'd make, keep running the young blokes.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #10
White went to Fyfe because of his size. He was being groomed for the role from the start of the year, he said so in an interview.

Are Hodge and Mitchell his type of guys or would it be Holman, Curnow and Carrots?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #11
Carrots and Curnow have played on Mitchell before and none have been successful but there is always a first time....White on Hodge or Lewis might be worth watching although I have  the feeling Cripps might get Lewis for company and some extra treatment.

Reply #12
I do like White to Hodge, but only for the reasons Kruddler suggested.
 8)
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #13
We have been competitive  in our last two 2 games against them, the first of those we were totally screwed by the umps.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #14
I do like White to Hodge, but only for the reasons Kruddler suggested.
 8)

Always remember Robbo lined up Hodge and got him but the Hawks skipper got up and smiled while Robbo looked like he ran into a brick wall and was worse for wear...