Skip to main content
Topic: RD 21: Richmond v Carlton (Pre-game Prayers) (Read 52325 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 21: Richmond v Carlton (Pre-game Prayers)

Reply #30
We've got to get some serious ball-winning capability into our midfield for this one. I was at both the Freo and Dogs games and this is where both of those teams absolutely smashed us into oblivion. Both teams were into the clearances and contested ball situations like rabid dogs to win the ball and then dispose with precision while we generally looked on  like scared rabbits.

If we could do just that many of our other problems maybe would not look so bad. Do we have players capable of doing this though - we haven't seen many recently that's for sure.  >:(
Irony that what was once our only strength (Midfield) is now our major achilles heal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
I'm going on Saturday unless it's raining, in which case I'll watch it on the telly, I refuse to get wet and get beaten by Richmond on the same day.
Seriously there's a lot of 2006 about the CFC these days, you go to the game hopeful but not confident.
We've slipped back among the ruck, better that the hopeless teams but on a par with another four who won't play finals, it's very depressing after the last decade.

QFT. I'll be watching from the comfort of my sofa.

Reply #32
If we get flogged in the next three games we'll find it impossible to attract players during the trade period and we'll probably see a couple wanting to leave.

Reply #33
A while back I booked flights and reserve ticket upgrades to bring my son over for this game - his first chance to see the (once) mighty CFC at the MCG. 

As if our putrid form and the likely chance of a loss to the Tiges isn't bad enough, my sons favourite players are: Juddy (gawn), Garlett (probably out) and Murphy (in career worst form).  This could get ugly and may cost CFC a future life-time member... kids are easily scarred.  Hell I'm feeling pretty scarred.  We better put in a better effort than we did vs Doggies. 

Blues by 5pts (tell him he's dreaming). 
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #34
Zed I'm taking my 2 and a half year old son to the game this Saturday too! Why you ask? Because I know he wont last more than two quarters before losing it and that's pretty much where Carlton stand as well! I can leave at halftime without concern, and break my son in for half a game of football.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #35
Nothing surer than a win this week.  They got their bogey win against us they have made finals and dont need the win.  We now have nothing to play for on saturday, and the tigers are going to crow early about their finals fortunes.  It all adds up to us winning this week.  No Chris Judd.  I can see the Tiggies getting ahead of themselves, and failing to rise to the occasion.  They are a bit mind stuffed when they face us, and if we get the jump on them early will go into their shells and fail to respond.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36
Wow I see our only chance of winning against the scum next week and that would be by default. As much as we'd like to beleive it, the Tigers are not like us, they will win the games they're supposed to (and a few they're not). I would've had them as a bigger chance to lose against Brisbane who I have no doubt would beat us this week if they played us.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #37
Zed I'm taking my 2 and a half year old son to the game this Saturday too! Why you ask? Because I know he wont last more than two quarters before losing it and that's pretty much where Carlton stand as well! I can leave at halftime without concern, and break my son in for half a game of football.

Might end up being like that faithful game in early 2005 when they were 13 goals up at half time lol

Reply #38
I couldn't care less about how horrible the flogging is. In fact the worse the better. Hopefully it will make our recruiters, Mick, the board and anyone else who has a say, show no mercy to the blokes that I and and others have been saying all year need to be culled.

If we win, then the rose coloured glasses come on again, and then they start to think, well, he's not THAT bad, and he might be better next year, and blokes that should go, are kept to repeat the cr@p that they foisted upon us again and again.

Under normal circumstances, I'd love to knock off Richmond. But sometimes the greater good takes precedence.
Are you a Dees supporter? 

We may get flogged but I don't know any Carlton member who will take joy out of it.

I don't know what your last line about being a Dees supporter, means. My wife is a Dees supporter, and she gets no pleasure out of seeing her team get flogged.

Nowhere did I say that a flogging would give me pleasure. What I said was, that I didn't care how bad the flogging was, because the greater good comes before an honourable loss, or even a win.

We are not good enough at this point in time, to mix it with the best. We lack so many key position players that it's not funny. And we have a dysfunctional mid-field.

If we were to win our last three because blokes who haven't put in all year, decided to do it now, it would frankly make me sick.  It would possibly cloud the judgement of those in charge, and may get them to change their minds about getting rid of certain players that need to go that haven't put in all year, and now, all of a sudden with their career on the line, play like there is no tomorrow.

And there must be no tomorrow for them.

So, no joy in any flogging, be it Richmond or any other team. I am just a practical, 60 year long, Carlton Supporter, who, unlike others, does not live in a blinkered biased dream world, and believes that if we don't take a scalpel to the place, you can have Mick, Paul Roos, Leigh Mathews and even a resurrected Jock Mchale coaching us. It won't help.

Reply #39
There is no way we can win this week. We are simply not committed to victory. Casboult to come in, along with Bell, Robertson Graham & Buckley. Watson, Judd & Gartlett out injured along with Yarran and Cachia. Cachia has been good but he is running out of energy. Rowe stays in as a replacement for Watson down back.

Reply #40
Someone today asked me if I'd want to play finals via the back-door i.e. 9th, even though we are likely to get flogged.

My answer was an unequivocal yes. The thought of playing Collingwood or Richmond in a final is mouth watering even if we do get beaten.

Finals are finals and given how starved we have been over the last 18 years I'll take them any way possible.

As blindingly optomistic or idiotic this may sound, our destiny still rests with us and until we are totally and mathematically out of the frame, I'll keep hoping we can put something together.

I'm hoping the injection of some youth may give us some sort of pulse. Richmond are beatable and have weaknesses. I hope we show some serious balls.
I found my thrills, on Windy Pills

Reply #41
I couldn't care less about how horrible the flogging is. In fact the worse the better. Hopefully it will make our recruiters, Mick, the board and anyone else who has a say, show no mercy to the blokes that I and and others have been saying all year need to be culled.

If we win, then the rose coloured glasses come on again, and then they start to think, well, he's not THAT bad, and he might be better next year, and blokes that should go, are kept to repeat the cr@p that they foisted upon us again and again.

Under normal circumstances, I'd love to knock off Richmond. But sometimes the greater good takes precedence.
Are you a Dees supporter? 

We may get flogged but I don't know any Carlton member who will take joy out of it.

I don't know what your last line about being a Dees supporter, means. My wife is a Dees supporter, and she gets no pleasure out of seeing her team get flogged.

Nowhere did I say that a flogging would give me pleasure. What I said was, that I didn't care how bad the flogging was, because the greater good comes before an honourable loss, or even a win.

We are not good enough at this point in time, to mix it with the best. We lack so many key position players that it's not funny. And we have a dysfunctional mid-field.

If we were to win our last three because blokes who haven't put in all year, decided to do it now, it would frankly make me sick.  It would possibly cloud the judgement of those in charge, and may get them to change their minds about getting rid of certain players that need to go that haven't put in all year, and now, all of a sudden with their career on the line, play like there is no tomorrow.

And there must be no tomorrow for them.

So, no joy in any flogging, be it Richmond or any other team. I am just a practical, 60 year long, Carlton Supporter, who, unlike others, does not live in a blinkered biased dream world, and believes that if we don't take a scalpel to the place, you can have Mick, Paul Roos, Leigh Mathews and even a resurrected Jock Mchale coaching us. It won't help.

In fact the worse the better.
Said to me that that you'd like to see a massive flogging, but I see where you're coming from now.

The reference to the Dees is that Schwarz (and many other Dee supporters), were looking forward to a massive flogging so that Neeld got sacked.  Some pretty disgraceful comments at the time.

I think you will see the change you are seeking without the need of further humiliation to this group of players & MC.  Mick & co have seen enough and I'm shore they already know what changes will be made at years end.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #42
I think Richmond will go into reservation mode now they know they are playing finals.  They have missed out for too long now the thought of missing through injury will start to creep in to their mind.

I see some drastic changes as MM gives the impression enough is enough now and will start rolling the players in to get whatever he can till the end of the season.

Im saying a win, close with Richmond coming home in flurry.

Reply #43
Someone today asked me if I'd want to play finals via the back-door i.e. 9th, even though we are likely to get flogged.

My answer was an unequivocal yes. The thought of playing Collingwood or Richmond in a final is mouth watering even if we do get beaten.

Finals are finals and given how starved we have been over the last 18 years I'll take them any way possible.

As blindingly optomistic or idiotic this may sound, our destiny still rests with us and until we are totally and mathematically out of the frame, I'll keep hoping we can put something together.

I'm hoping the injection of some youth may give us some sort of pulse. Richmond are beatable and have weaknesses. I hope we show some serious balls.

It's funny isn't it.

We are still a chance to get into finals, as unlikely as that seems. Everyone is too busy throwing in the towell to care.

Going by form, logic, current players available for both sides and the misalignment of the planets at present, there is nothing that suggests we even have a sniff in this game.

So going by that, we will win by 2 goals.  :o

Reply #44
Nothing surer than a win this week.  They got their bogey win against us they have made finals and dont need the win.  We now have nothing to play for on saturday, and the tigers are going to crow early about their finals fortunes.  It all adds up to us winning this week.  No Chris Judd.  I can see the Tiggies getting ahead of themselves, and failing to rise to the occasion.  They are a bit mind stuffed when they face us, and if we get the jump on them early will go into their shells and fail to respond.
Thry me old mate, you are unfortunately describing what Carlton would do (ie steal defeat from the jaws of victory). Richmond will put us to the sword and will well.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time