Skip to main content
Topic: Jarryd Hayne (Read 48425 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jarryd Hayne

Reply #1
There would be 1000 americans who can do what he is doing. He is getting so much 'air time' because he is an aussie or as the yanks say it 'Aw-See'.

The only thing that has really set him apart from anything the yanks have done was his shoulder charge today. Didn't gain anything, just looked good.

Reply #2
The article in the Australian today seemed to point to Hayne leading the stats in the preseason for average yards gained as a running back. Also punt returning, wide receiver, etc.

Unusual in the NFL to have multi-faceted players like that. So 1000 americans... Maybe only 999?

Reply #3
The article in the Australian today seemed to point to Hayne leading the stats in the preseason for average yards gained as a running back. Also punt returning, wide receiver, etc.

Unusual in the NFL to have multi-faceted players like that. So 1000 americans... Maybe only 999?

No, it's not.

Punt returners are traditionally either wide receivers, running backs or cornerbacks. They are the fastest blokes in the squad and good at evading tacklers. Every single punt returner or kick returner has an actual position on the depth chart besides 'punt/kick returner'. 2 years ago the vikings (my team) had the best kick returner (Patterson - WR) and punt returner (Sherels - CB) in the league. They also got game time in their actual positions (as listed).

Leading the stats in the pre-season means less than squat. Teams play their 1st string players (less any superstars, ala Adrian Peterson, 2013 MVP who does not play a single second)...then they play their second string players....then they play their 3rd string players....and if they have them, 4th stringers. Everyone gets a go. Usually, the 2nd stringers get most playing time.

He is a second stringer at best and is playing against other second stringers. His offensive line is creating huge holes for him to run through, so all he has to do is run. Good running backs need to work out where and when to run when there are no holes to run into. Great running backs create their own holes.

Look, i've got nothing against the bloke, but just trying to put things in perspective. ;)

Reply #4
So then he's not much chance of making the cut Kruds?

Reply #5
So then he's not much chance of making the cut Kruds?

He'll make the cut. He'll be their kick returner/punt returner, but he won't get much game time otherwise.

That'll mean he gets out on the field maybe a handful of times a game, and half of that they will probably kick the ball over his head so he can't hurt the opposition by returning the ball for a touchdown.

As mentioned earlier, Patterson was the best kick returner in the game 2 years ago. I say 2 years ago and not last year because he was so effective at returning the kicks, teams simply stopped kicking it to him. If they kicked it to him, he'd get a big return and maybe a touchdown. If they didn't they got good field position and no touchdown.

Reply #6
Leading the stats in the pre-season means less than squat.

+1 mate.

NFL don't play their guns in preseason, risk of injury is high.

Jordy Nelson (from my beloved packers) did his ACL this preseason, and in hindsight, he should not have been playing till season opener.

Reply #7
Good luck Jarryd.

Seems like a good kid chasing a dream. Couldn't think of a better ambassador for oz .

All the more amazing is he's from the NRL.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #8
+1 mate.

NFL don't play their guns in preseason, risk of injury is high.

Jordy Nelson (from my beloved packers) did his ACL this preseason, and in hindsight, he should not have been playing till season opener.

Packers fan here too, I disagree with your injury philosophy, if your best players don't get a run in the pre-season, they start the season lacking match fitness, it could cost you early wins in the season proper. Pre-season games exist for a reason, clubs need to make the best use of them that they can.

Back to the Packers, I'm excited to see what Myles White and Jeff Janis can bring with Jordy out for the season. Also how good has Hundley been as a rookie QB?!! Bring on the Bears next week !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #9
Opps, as for Jarrod Hayne, averaging 7 yards rushing is nothing to sneeze at, pre-season or not.

He probably won't be the 49ers number 1 RB this season, but give him a year on special teams and perhaps the odd job on offence and I will be interested in just how much he might improve and be able to do in his 2nd and 3rd years in the game.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #10
Packers fan here too, I disagree with your injury philosophy, if your best players don't get a run in the pre-season, they start the season lacking match fitness, it could cost you early wins in the season proper. Pre-season games exist for a reason, clubs need to make the best use of them that they can.

Back to the Packers, I'm excited to see what Myles White and Jeff Janis can bring with Jordy out for the season. Also how good has Hundley been as a rookie QB?!! Bring on the Bears next week !!

Adrian Peterson never plays in the pre-season. Hasn't stopped him performing from the first game of the year.

Phil Loadholt (Vikings RT) did his achillies in the second snap PS1. Gone for the year.
They don't play, the don't get injured.

Reply #11
No, it's not.

Punt returners are traditionally either wide receivers, running backs or cornerbacks. They are the fastest blokes in the squad and good at evading tacklers. Every single punt returner or kick returner has an actual position on the depth chart besides 'punt/kick returner'. 2 years ago the vikings (my team) had the best kick returner (Patterson - WR) and punt returner (Sherels - CB) in the league. They also got game time in their actual positions (as listed).

Leading the stats in the pre-season means less than squat. Teams play their 1st string players (less any superstars, ala Adrian Peterson, 2013 MVP who does not play a single second)...then they play their second string players....then they play their 3rd string players....and if they have them, 4th stringers. Everyone gets a go. Usually, the 2nd stringers get most playing time.

He is a second stringer at best and is playing against other second stringers. His offensive line is creating huge holes for him to run through, so all he has to do is run. Good running backs need to work out where and when to run when there are no holes to run into. Great running backs create their own holes.

Look, i've got nothing against the bloke, but just trying to put things in perspective. ;)

To be clear - I wasn't saying that this meant he'd be a certain starter. Just that the article was saying he'd have to be a chance to make the squad on those numbers.

Reply #12
Well  I guess some of us who don't have an NFL team have one now.  ;)

Reply #13
Well  I guess some of us who don't have an NFL team have one now.  ;)

He's officially made the final cut and is on the 53 man roster.

Let it be known that unlike AFL, he can be cut at any time from here on in, including during the season.

Reply #14
True, but his position is somewhat more secure as he's a depth player.  Punters and kickers aren't - teams usually only have 1 on the list of each.  The moment a punter or kicker has a shocker, he might be cut and replaced by the best unlisted punter or kicker because they can't just go to the next guy on the depth chart.  As a punt returner/part-time tail back or receiver, he can sit there waiting for an injury in one of those positions.  It's really only if he gets an early opportunity and it ends in a debacle that he'd have to worry about being cut.