Skip to main content
Topic: Jarryd Hayne (Read 48963 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jarryd Hayne

Reply #30
For Hayne, being used as a running back, he needs to get past the line of scrimmage first. To do that he has to hope his offensive line can make a big enough hole for him to get through. If they do, like any running back, he will do well.

If they cannot make a big enough hole for him, he will struggle to pick the right gaps and get the right timing to break through the line and get into the secondary, where he will be taking on the defensive backs and linebackers mentioned in the article which he might have an advantage over.

I thought that'd be an important part of Rugby League, which he did well, hence why he's been good so far. Anyway, like here, practice games don't tell us that much, it's usually for those needing to make an impression. Real games have alot more pressure, so time will tell, but he can only perform with what's in front of him and so far so good.

Reply #31
I'm ignorant in terms of the game Kruds.
I found this bit interesting though.
This is one area where League players excel.
It's "bread and butter" stuff finding those gaps and timing a break in a defensive line.
You would think his instincts would dictate that this is one area where he'd shine

Of course as you point out it's a different game.

I'm far from the biggest league fan going around. But i've probably watched more league games than you have NFL games, so i'll give it a crack.

In league, you generally have a wall of players in a line stretching across the field. You might have 1 guy hanging out the back, full back? You pretty much go 1-on-1 in terms of matchups across the width of the ground and try a few things to MAKE a gap or get people tripping over themselves to find space. (overlaps, cut backs etc). Ultimately, the best players are the ones who can break the lines. Whether they run over a player or sidestep them. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong with any of the above.

Now in NFL you have 'layers' of players, not just 1 line spanning the field.
You have the big fat guys from both sides who line up on the line about a foot away from their opponent. Then you have the cornerbacks who are on or about the line but are out wide who match up on the wide receivers (think wingers). Behind the fat blokes you have linebackers. Usually 3 or 4 of them. They kinda guard space and pick up anyone who breaks through the line, or comes across into it (wide receivers). Then behind them again, way out the back, you have the safeties, 2 of. They are the last line and play a 'loose man' role. Zoning off and picking up anyone who gets through the rest of the defense.

You can either run or pass in the game as a basic rule.

If you pass, then Hayne will be either be used as a body guard for people trying to hit the quarterback. Nothing spectacular to do here. Easy.
or
He will present up the field as an option to be thrown too. Learning when, where and how to present into the right area (run routes) is one of the hardest things to master. A lot of video, practice and theory goes into this for WRs and to a lesser extent, running backs - Hayne. Very difficult to master, but they can keep his plays 'simple' to begin with.

If they choose to run the ball, this is where its all on him.
To be an effective runner you need a few things in your favour.
1. A good passing game.....so the defense don't know if/when you are actually going to run the ball. Keep them guessing = element of surprise.
2. A good offensive line (fat blokes up front) to block the defense to give you somewhere to run too.

He certainly has 1. Based on a few plays this pre-season, it appears he has 2 as well. Perfect!

Just like Route running when trying to catch, knowing where, when and how to 'run' takes a lot of video watching, practice and theory is involved. A simple 'run up the middle' play can have quite a few variations to it. Those variations are automatic based on how the defense is set up. Reading that is a big deal. Knowing who is likely to run where at what given time, yardage and group that is out on the field can quickly get you undone if you get it wrong. Players, patterns and percentages. Know them, study them.

Assuming he is well drilled in all the above, then we can actually start the play! All of the above is analysed in the say, 20 seconds before they start the play, with the help of the QB. Up to this point, his head (and possibly yours) is spinning. So many different things COULD happen. So many things COULD go wrong.

Now as you can appreciate, having a play designed is 1 thing, having it work is another. If it works, you look a million bucks. Some of his 'highlight reels' are because the play worked, not because he did anything spectacular. The offensive line have made huge holes for him to run through (2m+ wide spaces where my grandma can get through). If he does get through THEN he is in the 'open field' and can work his magic in some more 1-on-1 contests, albeit with about 6 guys making it over to him at various stages, or all at once. He is big enough and fast enough that a lot of the linebackers, cornerbacks and safeties that are 'in the secondary' aren't really going to intimidate him. But believe me, there are plenty of bigger and tougher blokes out there that he will come across. They are all bigger, faster, smarter and stronger than the blokes he has been playing against so far in the pre-season.

Ok, take it back a step. What happens when you are running, but a play 'doesnt work'? The gap you were hoping to be there is not, instead it is filled by a 260 pound linebackers sprinting right at you. You have about 1/4 second to work out what to do before you are flattened. Do you stop, try and dodge him, run the other way run backwards?? You can do all of those things. Sometimes it might work. Most of the time it doesn't. What the best running backs can do is basically see how the play is turning out and run to a gap that isn't there yet. It's counterintuitive, especially for a league player. The thing is, if you see a gap, the defense also sees the gap, and they usually get to it about the same time as you do (unless its a huge gap as mentioned earlier). You need to not only run to a place where you can get through, but run to a place that the defenders don't think you can get through. Sometimes the smallest gaps are the best as you can sneak past players charging at you through the more obvious gaps. Sometimes you can 'make gaps' by knowing what a given defender will do in a given situation and trick him into thinking he has you covered. Easier said than done though.

So far he's learned 100+ plays, analysed the 20+ defenders from each of the 14 teams he'll play that season, knowing the strengths and weaknesses of all the above before he's been able to put anything into practice. If by some miracle, he has his head around all of that, he will face perhaps his biggest challenge. Holding onto the ball! Americans treasure ball security over everything else. Drop the ball and you are shunned. Drop the ball twice and they are looking to your backup to take over. Drop it 3 times and you may not have a career anymore. The americans are so paranoid about ball security that if there is a loose ball, they have an unwritten rule that if you are a 'fat bloke' don't even try and pick it up, simply fall on it. If you try and pick it up, you will probably fumble it. He'll have a good starting point from League, but its not that simple. Kick a league ball, an american football and an AFL ball. Similar basics, hard to get perfect. Same with holding it and bracing for tackles.

Clear as mud?

Again, what he has done thus far is enormous.
Making the squad and excelling is a whole different ball game. ;)
The players he is competing with at the same position are probably all as fit, fast and strong as he is...but have a better understanding of how to actually play the game.

So because of all of the above, he probably won't be used much in that manor. He'll be used in much the same way a FB would be used in league. Playing deep and returning kicks. Which only happens a handful of times a game.

Reply #32
Looks like Bruce Ellington is the first-choice punt returner.

Reply #33
Can we change the thread title to "Kruddlers Overly Long Winded and Needlessly Complicated Explanations of Simple Concepts In American Football" ;D

You know it makes sense. ;D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #34
Looks like Bruce Ellington is the first-choice punt returner.

Where'd you get that info from?

Tried looking for the 49ers depth chart last night, but they hadn't sorted it out yet.

Reply #35
I'm far from the biggest league fan going around. But i've probably watched more league games than you have NFL games, so i'll give it a crack.

In league, you generally have a wall of players in a line stretching across the field. You might have 1 guy hanging out the back, full back? You pretty much go 1-on-1 in terms of matchups across the width of the ground and try a few things to MAKE a gap or get people tripping over themselves to find space. (overlaps, cut backs etc). Ultimately, the best players are the ones who can break the lines. Whether they run over a player or sidestep them. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong with any of the above.

Thanks for the explanation Kruds  :D

Just on the top part .....it's probably a little more complicated than a line going one-on-one.
I've done some conditioning work with some senior District League teams and they actually spend a lot of time at training on tactics to create those overlaps etc.
They'll practice plays to stack one side and then switch play and a whole range of other set plays.
That's at a level a couple of steps below NRL so I'd imagine at the top level it's even more thorough.

It's obviously still nowhere near the playbook of an NFL side but I suspect a player like Hayne would be skilled in multiple line breaking situations.

Ok, take it back a step. What happens when you are running, but a play 'doesnt work'? The gap you were hoping to be there is not, instead it is filled by a 260 pound linebackers sprinting right at you. You have about 1/4 second to work out what to do before you are flattened. Do you stop, try and dodge him, run the other way run backwards?? You can do all of those things. Sometimes it might work. Most of the time it doesn't. What the best running backs can do is basically see how the play is turning out and run to a gap that isn't there yet. It's counterintuitive, especially for a league player. The thing is, if you see a gap, the defense also sees the gap, and they usually get to it about the same time as you do (unless its a huge gap as mentioned earlier). You need to not only run to a place where you can get through, but run to a place that the defenders don't think you can get through. Sometimes the smallest gaps are the best as you can sneak past players charging at you through the more obvious gaps. Sometimes you can 'make gaps' by knowing what a given defender will do in a given situation and trick him into thinking he has you covered. Easier said than done though

I don't think that's terribly unlike a League situation.

Reply #36
We'll have to agree to disagree a bit on that Lods. ;)

FYI, the 'depth chart' for the first game has been released/announced.

From the 53 man roster, 46 guys actually 'dress' on game day...which means they can actually play.

Hayne made the 46.

In terms of Running Back (RB) - he is 3rd (out of 4). Usually, you only see 2 actually get game time unless there is an injury.
In terms of Punt/kick returner - he is =2nd out of 3.

That pretty much confirms what i've expected. He makes the team, but you might not see him actually out on the ground.

As is often the case with players in his position, if/when he gets the chance, he better make the most of it, as he may not get another one.

Reply #37
OK, so first game for Hayne has been run and won. 49ers beat my vikings 20-3.

Yes, Hayne did make the 46 who dressed.
Yes, Hayne did make it out on the field......although that was helped by an injury to the 2nd running back Reggie Bush who did his calf in the 1st quarter not to return.

So Hayne first made it out on the field on special teams to return a punt. After talking him up the Awe-see rugby star misjudged the ball in the air, dove forward for the ball and.....FUMBLE. Ball recovered by the vikings.

THE worst start possible for him.

He subbed in at RB.
1st down - He got a handoff. First 'real' touch for the game. Run right. 1 yard gain. Meh.
2nd down - pass, he was a blocker, but had nobody to block.
3rd & 19 - Dump pass to Hayne in the backfield. Sidestepped the first guy who overcommitted got 7 yards in a play where the defense were just protecting the first down line. Nothing play.

Next time he came out was as a punt returner again. Got kicked the ball. Caught it, returned in an easy 10 yards. Meh.
Flag on the play, meant the ball had to be rekicked.
Interestingly, 49ers subbed him out for the rekick. Ellington (Haynes biggest rival for punt returner). Long punt. Caught and returned....for a TD! Another flag on the play. Called back.

Head to head battle, Ellington got the better of Hayne.

Hayne back on as running back. 2 yard gain on a run right. Meh.

Another punt return opportunity, 49ers go with Ellington again.

Hayne back on as running back. 9 yard gain up the middle. Good solid run. Decent gap. Nothing spectacular.
Another run up the middle. No gain.
Passing attempt, Hayne required to block, makes block allows time for Kap to make a completed pass. Good block.

That is all.

End result...
Hayne
4 carries for 13 yards.
1 catch for 7 yards.
1 return, fumble lost.

Got more gametime courtesy of an injury than expected. Didn't disgrace himself, but nothing to get excited about.

As a comparison, their #1 running back (2nd season) had a blinder and picked apart the vikings defense.
Hyde.
26 carries for 168 yards for 2 TDs.
2 catches for 12 yards

Where to now?
Haynes first up fumble will hurt his career. It already showed with Ellington taking over returns in game 1. That could potentially be in order to keep Hayne fresh to sub in as backup running back, but given he was rarely used in that role, i suspect it's more about his fumble.

He might get more gametime as a backup running back while bush recovers from his calf, but then again, Bush might be back next week.

Overall grade: D+

Reply #38
Kade Simpson didn't get a possession in his first three games....so he's ahead of him ;D

Reply #39
Take away the nervous first-up drop seems like he had a good game in his first real hitout. Will just get better from here. For someone with no background in the game he's doing pretty well.

Reply #40

From the 53 man roster, 46 guys actually 'dress' on game day...which means they can actually play.

Hayne made the 46.

In terms of Running Back (RB) - he is 3rd (out of 4). Usually, you only see 2 actually get game time unless there is an injury.

That pretty much confirms what i've expected. He makes the team, but you might not see him actually out on the ground.

As is often the case with players in his position, if/when he gets the chance, he better make the most of it, as he may not get another one.

Possibly one of the most negative things I've ever read.

Reply #41
And clearly wide of the mark to boot!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42

Hayne made the 46.

I defer to your superior knowledge of the game, but you were clearly wrong.

OK, so first game for Hayne has been run and won. 49ers beat my vikings 20-3.

Yes, Hayne did make the 46 who dressed.
Yes, Hayne did make it out on the field......although that was helped by an injury to the 2nd running back Reggie Bush who did his calf in the 1st quarter not to return.

So Hayne first made it out on the field on special teams to return a punt. After talking him up the Awe-see rugby star misjudged the ball in the air, dove forward for the ball and.....FUMBLE. Ball recovered by the vikings.

THE worst start possible for him.

He subbed in at RB.
1st down - He got a handoff. First 'real' touch for the game. Run right. 1 yard gain. Meh.
2nd down - pass, he was a blocker, but had nobody to block.
3rd & 19 - Dump pass to Hayne in the backfield. Sidestepped the first guy who overcommitted got 7 yards in a play where the defense were just protecting the first down line. Nothing play.

Next time he came out was as a punt returner again. Got kicked the ball. Caught it, returned in an easy 10 yards. Meh.
Flag on the play, meant the ball had to be rekicked.
Interestingly, 49ers subbed him out for the rekick. Ellington (Haynes biggest rival for punt returner). Long punt. Caught and returned....for a TD! Another flag on the play. Called back.

Head to head battle, Ellington got the better of Hayne.

Hayne back on as running back. 2 yard gain on a run right. Meh.

Another punt return opportunity, 49ers go with Ellington again.

Hayne back on as running back. 9 yard gain up the middle. Good solid run. Decent gap. Nothing spectacular.
Another run up the middle. No gain.
Passing attempt, Hayne required to block, makes block allows time for Kap to make a completed pass. Good block.

That is all.

End result...
Hayne
4 carries for 13 yards.
1 catch for 7 yards.
1 return, fumble lost.

Got more gametime courtesy of an injury than expected. Didn't disgrace himself, but nothing to get excited about.

As a comparison, their #1 running back (2nd season) had a blinder and picked apart the vikings defense.
Hyde.
26 carries for 168 yards for 2 TDs.
2 catches for 12 yards

Where to now?
Haynes first up fumble will hurt his career. It already showed with Ellington taking over returns in game 1. That could potentially be in order to keep Hayne fresh to sub in as backup running back, but given he was rarely used in that role, i suspect it's more about his fumble.

He might get more gametime as a backup running back while bush recovers from his calf, but then again, Bush might be back next week.

Overall grade: D+

Once again, I admit that I know next to nothing about the game but the professional commentators seem to have a different view of Hayne's performance.

As I said previously, making the roster was a fantastic achievement but actually getting game time and performing adequately is unbelievable.  Don't forget that it is Hayne's first NFL game and his opponents will have been playing the game all of their lives.  They are unlikely to improve but Hayne can only get better.  On today's performance, I reckon that he is going to make a success of his NFL career.

Of course, that raises the question of how his success will attract the attention of NFL talent scouts to likely NRL and AFL players.  Nat Fyfe would seem to have the required attributes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
I defer to your superior knowledge of the game, but you were clearly wrong.

CLEARLY wrong?

I said you might not see him out there?

If there wasn't an injury in the first quarter you only would've seen him out there for 2 plays. 1 his fumble. 2 a play that had to be replayed due to a flag.

That injury was huge for him. The only injury for the game, happened to be the one that could actually help him get out there.

In AFL terms, it's like have a bench of 20 players. 3 ruckman in total. 3rd is there as backup only. 2nd ruckman gets injured. 3rd gets on the ground for 3 minutes in the whole game.

Reply #44
Possibly one of the most negative things I've ever read.

What exactly was so negative about it?

That comes directly from the club. See for yourself...
http://www.49ers.com/team/depth-chart.html