Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 390516 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: US Presidential Election 2016

Reply #330
A similar situation has emerged in Britain today with the murder of an MP by a mentally ill man. The conspiracy theorists are in full flight linking it to Brexiteers and anti immigration groups.

Witnesses say that he shouted "Britain first" or similar and that seems to tick the "political aims" box.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #331
Witnesses say that he shouted "Britain first" or similar and that seems to tick the "political aims" box.

Yes I read that. That's all they needed.  ::)

The fact that he had no affiliations to a political group and had a history of mental illness seem to have been overlooked.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #332
Mav gave a definition of it a little while back

so in that context....

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/16/us/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen/

Pretty much an act of terrorism (whatever his other motives...including a suggested conflict regarding his sexuality)

Is Mav the arbiter of such definitions then?

Reply #334
Yes I read that. That's all they needed.  ::)

The fact that he had no affiliations to a political group and had a history of mental illness seem to have been overlooked.

You could probably say much the same about Mateen and Monis.  The latter was found by a psychiatrist to "not have a psychiatric illness, rather a complex personality disorder that led to vicious, deceitful, manipulative and anti-social attitudes and behaviour".  The psychiatrist also said that Monis was a "lone wolf" terrorist.

Timothy McVeigh wasn't affiliated with any political or other group, apart from brief engagements with the Republicans and NRA.

I suspect that "personality disorder" would be a trait of most folk who carry out terrorist acts, mass killings and/or political assassinations.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #335
You could probably say much the same about Mateen and Monis.  The latter was found by a psychiatrist to "not have a psychiatric illness, rather a complex personality disorder that led to vicious, deceitful, manipulative and anti-social attitudes and behaviour".  The psychiatrist also said that Monis was a "lone wolf" terrorist.

Timothy McVeigh wasn't affiliated with any political or other group, apart from brief engagements with the Republicans and NRA.

I suspect that "personality disorder" would be a trait of most folk who carry out terrorist acts, mass killings and/or political assassinations.

How much do you actually know about this bloke DJC? Looks like you've got your mind pretty much made up.

Reply #336
I'm not sure what's being implied here?

Basically if you call the Orlando shooter a terrorist you're doing so only because he's middle eastern and it would have nothing to do with the fact he shot 100 people.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #337
How much do you actually know about this bloke DJC? Looks like you've got your mind pretty much made up.

I know as much or as little as most folk who listen to or watch the news.  Hence my references to Monis and McVeigh, both of whom are relatively well known and were not affiliated with political groups and had histories of "personality disorders" at best.

In this case, it seems that a bloke armed with a gun and a knife carried out what was apparently a premeditated attack on a MP while apparently shouting a political slogan of a group that holds opposite views to the MP.

There's no suggestion that it was drug-fuelled, it's probably not a homophobic hate attack, it could be a misogynistic attack, it could be the result of a personality disorder or insanity . . . and/or a terrorist attack.   

Reply #338
I know as much or as little as most folk who listen to or watch the news.  Hence my references to Monis and McVeigh, both of whom are relatively well known and were not affiliated with political groups and had histories of "personality disorders" at best.

In this case, it seems that a bloke armed with a gun and a knife carried out what was apparently a premeditated attack on a MP while apparently shouting a political slogan of a group that holds opposite views to the MP.

There's no suggestion that it was drug-fuelled, it's probably not a homophobic hate attack, it could be a misogynistic attack, it could be the result of a personality disorder or insanity . . . and/or a terrorist attack.  

In other words you are surmising and speculating?

Reply #339
I think he was quoting the Oxford English Dictionary....they're  a pretty good source for definitions ;)

Aside from the definition you quote, the word "terrorist" has gained an extremely emotive connotation in recent times in terms of profiling of certain people. It should be used with great care therefore until the full facts of this become known - if of course they ever do. Let's not fall for the trial by media and the hysteria that it creates?

Reply #340
Basically if you call the Orlando shooter a terrorist you're doing so only because he's middle eastern and it would have nothing to do with the fact he shot 100 people.

I reckon if you pledge your allegiance to the leader of ISIS you qualify as a terrorist...

Reply #341
In other words you are surmising and speculating?

Perhaps, but no more or less than folk have about the Orlando massacre or the Lindt Cafe siege.  It's certainly not a conspiracy theory but a reasonable deduction from the available facts.

Those facts seem to be mounting up; Thomas Mair did have mental health issues but apparently purchased books and subscriptions from an American-based Neo-Nazi group in the late 1990s and early 2000s.  One purchase was a handbook with instructions for building a homemade firearm.  Mair used "an antique or home-made gun" to shoot Mrs Cox.   He also subscribed to and corresponded with a pro-apartheid South African magazine in the 2000s.

Anyway, I'll leave the last words to Brendan Cox:

“Jo believed in a better world and she fought for it every day of her life with an energy, and a zest for life that would exhaust most people. She would have wanted two things above all else to happen now, one that our precious children are bathed in love and two, that we all unite to fight against the hatred that killed her.

"Hate doesn’t have a creed, race or religion, it is poisonous.

Reply #342
we all unite to fight against the hatred that killed her.

"Hate doesn’t have a creed, race or religion, it is poisonous.”

Laudable words and fine sentiments for sure and the loss of this dedicated woman is indeed a tragedy. Isn't it a pity though that everyone doesn't live by them and refrains from blanket condemnations of others before they know all the facts.

Reply #343
I reckon if you pledge your allegiance to the leader of ISIS you qualify as a terrorist...

Bang on.

He also scoped out other places to attack but settled on that one.

Plus what he did is in line with extremist preaching.

What it has also done is show up homophobia from other groups, The difference being is that they are less likely to go and kill a whole bunch of people.

Reply #344
A similar situation has emerged in Britain today with the murder of an MP by a mentally ill man. The conspiracy theorists are in full flight linking it to Brexiteers and anti immigration groups.

Not enough has come out about the English thing to classify it as a terrorist act.

Seems at this stage it was a disenfranchised loose cannon who had access to a gun.