Skip to main content
Topic: East West Tunnel (Read 12323 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: East West Tunnel

Reply #30
That tunnel/road has been part of a master plan for decades

You mean that master plan that never gets implemented?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
Andrews spent $1b of our cash after promising it would not cost anything, you alreday coughed up for a road we dont have. Did he keep that promise? Now the independent infrastructure panel has east/west as first on the list we will pay again. You tell me who played politics with our cash.

Just on this, they throw all these figures around with little to no analysis, and last I checked that quantity of money hasnt actually been spent by the Andrews Government.

Part of it was the land buy back that happened years ago which has been spent, and whilst that land does cost money in terms of rates etc, its not money that the government is going to pay to council now, its council rates the council have not seen since. 

Government talk about money is political bulltish first, and actual money spent later.

I wouldnt be surprised if the actual cost of not building the road was nothing, but people created a hole in balance sheets to show this figure.  I know a little bit about budgets, and how money gets handballed around, and I can tell you that this is the most likely scenario here.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
Just on this, they throw all these figures around with little to no analysis, and last I checked that quantity of money hasnt actually been spent by the Andrews Government.

Part of it was the land buy back that happened years ago which has been spent, and whilst that land does cost money in terms of rates etc, its not money that the government is going to pay to council now, its council rates the council have not seen since. 

Government talk about money is political bulltish first, and actual money spent later.

I wouldnt be surprised if the actual cost of not building the road was nothing, but people created a hole in balance sheets to show this figure.  I know a little bit about budgets, and how money gets handballed around, and I can tell you that this is the most likely scenario here.

So Thry, are you saying the contractors simply walked away with nothing?
Are you saying the State Government didn't buy the houses?

Reply #33
So Thry, are you saying the contractors simply walked away with nothing?

Not at all.

I am saying that they use wild numbers to bring up the total dollar value, not recognising tangibles.

i.e.  they spent money to buy houses and land, which resulted in an increase in assets to go with expenditure, and that those assets have dollar values that are increasing in time because inner city land values change.

Just like they state the public holiday for the grand final costs 1 billion dollars.

Understand?

I seem to recall that 300 million was sitting in coughers earning interest waiting to be spent on the project, and that the federal government demanded the money back from the state government in order to hamstring the state government.

As a voter, I hate all politicians as I see them for the snakes they are.

In this case we have Federal (Liberal) contributing to ensuring that the state government (Labor) look bad.

Why is that do you think?

As for the contractors, who knows what dollars they actually walked away with, but there is no chance that they walked away with more money than it was originally going to cost to build the fricken thing.  This is all political tit for tat rubbish and the only person footing the bill is joe average at the end of the line.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
To be perfectly honest I wouldn't use it either.
But it would have supported melbournes economy and taken a large percentage of traffic off the streets around Carlton fitzroy and collingwood, but at the end of the day, if you're not going to use it Jim, why should the state of Victoria build it?
That's the (community) spirit.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36

On the bright side, I took a look at what houses are doing in that area last week and if the government sells the houses they bought a year or two ago, they should make about a hundred million on ripping up the contracts  :P

Reply #37
How does that make it a bandaid? There's not a single bit of complicated infrastructure you build once and forget. It needs investment and updating otherwise it becomes an issue.

I'm suggesting that people proclaiming the east west link is required to fix traffic issues is missing the bigger picture.

It will 'ease' traffic, in some areas only. It will fix nothing. Bandaid solution.

As many have mentioned, master plan, one piece of the jigsaw puzzle etc etc.

@Crash i think it was talking about radial system.
The 'outer rings' you talk about are what the buses are supposedly for. Buses on the roads that are jammed and contribute to the overall problem.
Outer ring rail system would be simply put in the too hard basket.

I used to play sim city back on the SNES when i was younger. If my city got to the stage Melbourne is at now, i'd just about take your approach and nuke the whole thing!

Reply #38
I'm suggesting that people proclaiming the east west link is required to fix traffic issues is missing the bigger picture.

It will 'ease' traffic, in some areas only. It will fix nothing. Bandaid solution.

As many have mentioned, master plan, one piece of the jigsaw puzzle etc etc.

@Crash i think it was talking about radial system.
The 'outer rings' you talk about are what the buses are supposedly for. Buses on the roads that are jammed and contribute to the overall problem.
Outer ring rail system would be simply put in the too hard basket.

I used to play sim city back on the SNES when i was younger. If my city got to the stage Melbourne is at now, i'd just about take your approach and nuke the whole thing!

Yes, a bandaid over a festering sore.

Buses would really only work if there was a dedicated carriageway and I imagine that would be a cheaper option than rail or light rail.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
Yes, a bandaid over a festering sore.

Buses would really only work if there was a dedicated carriageway and I imagine that would be a cheaper option than rail or light rail.

Buses don't work, name one city in which they solved this or a similar problem. Trains are required to be efficient and regular to be effective like the MRTs in Asia, yet they do not cover the distances we are talking about east to west of Melbourne and we simply do not have the CBD infrastructure to support a significant increase in PT passengers from a high functioning east/west rail line.

Easy to call PT the solution to the problem, hard to explain how it would actually help.

As for the argument that the money spent was not that much, bull*@_. We paid a massive (we don't know how big) break contract fee, for nothing.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #40
Does it need to be a tunnel? If the skyrail process works for our rail network, why can't it work for our roads?

Reply #42
To get freight and airport traffic off the Eastern Freeway - Link up East-Link and the Ring Road.

That way freight and airport traffic can _completely_ bypass the city.

This project is rated at a much higher positive return on investment.

Why did the Libs not want to build it ? The big toll money is from commuters - not freight.
Tearing up the inner North upsets Greens voters, The ring road link is in swinging/lib seats.

Gets easy votes from people who fall for the illusory "more freeway = less traffic" instead of the always happens "more freeway = more traffic", especially in a city with an increasing population.

They call it VicRoads because they only do roads. The answer has to be roads, more roads, big trucks and roads. Rail/bike/pedestrian - what are they ?

Reply #43
To get freight and airport traffic off the Eastern Freeway - Link up East-Link and the Ring Road.

That way freight and airport traffic can _completely_ bypass the city.

This project is rated at a much higher positive return on investment.

Why did the Libs not want to build it ? The big toll money is from commuters - not freight.
Tearing up the inner North upsets Greens voters, The ring road link is in swinging/lib seats.

Gets easy votes from people who fall for the illusory "more freeway = less traffic" instead of the always happens "more freeway = more traffic", especially in a city with an increasing population.

They call it VicRoads because they only do roads. The answer has to be roads, more roads, big trucks and roads. Rail/bike/pedestrian - what are they ?

Tear up the inner north?
You mean the pristine wilderness of Alexander parade?
They were actually building a tunnel under the inner north which would have removed a huge amount of traffic off the streets above.
Do you think by not building it, with a growing population this traffic is going to reduce some other way?
If trains were the only answer I am sure they would build them but 5 million people all want their 1/4 acre block.
It doesn't add up. It's a fiscal nightmare to suggest it would.
The greens answer is always just spend more "govt" money.
What we should be doing is stopping our city boundaries being constantly expanded and build better rural cities for people to live in.