Skip to main content
Topic: Queen (The Band) - Fan or Foe ?? (Read 11024 times) previous topic - next topic

Queen (The Band) - Fan or Foe ??

Just watched a terrific doco on ABC2 (called 'Days Of Our Lives') about the band Queen from it's formation in 1969 right through to Freddie Mercury's death. I have seen it before but wanted to watch it again due to it being really well done and provides some insight into what goes on inside a mega-band etc.

They came to prominence when I was in high school with one of my buddies becoming a huge fan. I wasn't always an avid listener but I did like them when they rocked out (eg. Tie Your Mother Down, One Vision, Hammer To Fall etc) as opposed to the campy & theatrical stuff that they regularly dabbled in.

I always imagined that they would polarise music listeners too, either you were into them big time or not at all.

Where do you sit ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Queen (The Band) - Fan or Foe ??

Reply #1
Never really liked them growing up.

It was all a bit theatrical for my taste.

But I don't think they ever took themselves too seriously.

I kind of think of them like I think about ABBA, I know all their hits and probably sing along when pissed because they provided a soundtrack to my youth.

But I'd never buy or even put on one of their songs.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #2
Not my type of music but Freddie Mercury was an incredible performer and vocalist, while May's genius created an iconic sound that was all theirs.

I have always found it humorous (ironic even), that they resonate so deeply in the high testosterone environment of Aussie male sport whilst being so bodaciously camp to the extent that the group is/was called "Queen" yet I know many men who took years to learn this and were quite shocked!! ;D

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #3
Some of their recent work is also pretty good
Paul Rodgers ex Free, Bad Company vocalist is playing with them
One of the finest voices in rock .
They perform Queen songs and Rodgers material

Reply #4
Never really liked them growing up.

It was all a bit theatrical for my taste.

But I don't think they ever took themselves too seriously.

I kind of think of them like I think about ABBA, I know all their hits and probably sing along when pissed because they provided a soundtrack to my youth.

But I'd never buy or even put on one of their songs.

Wow spot on!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
Huge fan here. As someone else said, they were the soundtrack to my youth which just tends to weave itself into the fabric of your life.  Must say I'm jealous of Zed's avatar (said whilst laying claim to an unblemished record of heterosexuality, not that ...).

Great doco that, and have you seen the one exclusively about Freddie - 'The Great Pretender'?  I'm fascinated by people who climb to the top, regardless of the field - sports, science, music, whatever. You can say what you like about Freddie but he was superhumanly brave the way he was committed to extracting every last ounce of energy from his AIDS-wracked body to produce material for the band knowing he was close to the end.  If that was me I'd be curled up in bed with my hot water bottle and the blinds drawn, sign on the door saying "No visitors".

And of course, their songs are very clever inasmuch as different lyrics can be applied to real life situations and news items.  Every time I hear another tidbit about CheatsFC I find myself singing 'Hammer to Fall' ...

Oh ev'ry night and every day
A little piece of you is falling away
But lift your face the western way
Build your muscles as your body decays yeah

Toe your line and play their game yeah
Let the anaesthetic cover it all
Till one day they call your name
You know it's time for the Hammer To Fall
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #6
A few years back my wife bought us tickets to the show "We will rock you" in Melbourne as a birthday treat. Great show!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
I watched the doco too and it reminded me of how much I loved Queen.

Incredibly talented and their music style transcended many genres.

Freddie Mercury was an absolute genius. Brian May wasn't too far behind.

Reply #8
Loved them. Serious talent.

Back in my broadcasting days, we used to love playing 'We Are The Champions' because when you were cueing it up -- back in those days it was vinyl on felt -- you'd get, "I paid..." then backwards it sounded like, "Get F*cked". Yes, amused by the simple things in life then...

LR... there is something seriously disturbing about your avatar, on many levels ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
Love em. They are sensational.
Couldnt think of another band I'd like to hear louder!!
Some absolute cracking songs and albums. Highlander soundtrack a favourite.
Fat bottom girls, I want to walk free, and bugger it- I'm going to put it on now!! O0 :))
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #10
One of the best music docos around, that plus the Def Leppard one.

I've seen it about three times and it's a great watch, even if your not a Queen fan.

Freddie would have to be one of the best voices for rock/pop ever. The whole band was brilliant and talented. I love the part where they put under pressure together with Bowie. How the band reacted to Freddie getting sick and how he went of the rails when he found the gay scene in NY and Germany and how basically Bob Geldolf got them back together with Live Aid.

This is a band that had talent, drive and most of all Freddie. When you look at them and compare it to the so called stars coming out now it's like night and day.

If you get the chance watch it, best two hours you'll spend watching TV for the month.

Reply #11
On paper they certainly looked the goods :

- musically very accomplished

- charismatic and entertaining lead singer

- convincing songwriting across a variety of styles

- reportedly great live

In spite of all these things, I never really got into them. I could never really figure out what they were about, what they stood for. Much of it seems a musical flexing of the muscles as an end in itself, because they were good enough to do it. Once I got past the flashy bits, there wasn't much there to hold me in. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Reply #12
I never took much notice of them when I was into music in a big way, well bigger than now anyway. Nobody I knew back then ever played them. I would've put them in the same class as, say, Suzi Quatro.

After seeing that doco I think we missed something, especially not following their development as we did with other bands, waiting for the next record to come out then playing it over and over again.

Freddie M was an absolute star and, as with the best of them, died young.

Reply #13
Huge fan here. As someone else said, they were the soundtrack to my youth which just tends to weave itself into the fabric of your life.  Must say I'm jealous of Zed's avatar (said whilst laying claim to an unblemished record of heterosexuality, not that ...).
What are you trying to say about my sexuality, Iva?  :P  Feel free to use EM as your avatar as well. Its one of the default options on the new site.  I'm happy to change to something a bit more masculine... I'm sure I can dig out a pic of George Michael or Prince  8)

Back OT, I was a massive Queen fan in my youth. Liked them even more after their epic soundtrack to the film "Highlander". Some great tracks in that.
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #14
What are you trying to say about my sexuality, Iva?  :P  Feel free to use EM as your avatar as well. Its one of the default options on the new site.  I'm happy to change to something a bit more masculine... I'm sure I can dig out a pic of George Michael or Prince  8)

Back OT, I was a massive Queen fan in my youth. Liked them even more after their epic soundtrack to the film "Highlander". Some great tracks in that.

Zed, you misunderstand me - I was being genuine. Didn't mean to cast aspersions or cause offence. Didn't even know there were standard avatar's we could choose from with the new site. If I'd have seen Freddie was an option I would have snaffled it.  Not for the first time my smart-arsed comments have backfired. And for the record, I'm a fan of George and Prince too!  8)
Keyboard warrior #24601