Skip to main content
Topic: The GWS Gang - Will They Or Won't They ?? (Read 19078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The GWS Gang - Will They Or Won't They ??

Reply #30
Plowman and Sumner are locks for mine. Best of the GWS bunch. Both missed a hell of a lot of football and most of the preseason so to come into a new team and play solid footy with only a game and a half in the 2s is enough to suggest they'll be players.

Showing signs: Phillips, Lamb

Not convinced: Jaksch, Whiley

Reply #31
Plowman and Sumner are locks for mine. Best of the GWS bunch. Both missed a hell of a lot of football and most of the preseason so to come into a new team and play solid footy with only a game and a half in the 2s is enough to suggest they'll be players.

Showing signs: Phillips, Lamb

Not convinced: Jaksch, Whiley

Philip sdoing ok and Lamb has been handy in recent weeks and can kick straight..

Agree on Whiley...I'm a fan of Jaksch and reckon we just need to be patient...

Reply #32
mark fine said last night 1 lamb very soft 2 sumner not afl standard and that gws boys might move us 1 rung up the ladder that about it other words we are going no where .Did anyone else listen to sen .

Reply #33
mark fine said last night 1 lamb very soft 2 sumner not afl standard and that gws boys might move us 1 rung up the ladder that about it other words we are going no where .Did anyone else listen to sen .

And who the f... is mark fine?

How many times has he seen Sumner play?

Clown.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #34

Guy needs people to ring in.

We win but good news doesn't pay the bills for cock smokers like Finey.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #35

Finey just comes out with stuff to stir the pot half the time. I wouldn't say Lamb is soft, nor hard, and Sumner hasn't shown anything to suggest he's out of place at AFL level.

He's a Saints supporter and dirty that we're not that far behind them in our rebuild. Once Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher, Dempster etc. go they'll be in trouble.

For everyone that is saying our ex-GWS players are average, stop-gap, fringe players that aren't up to it need to pull their heads in. They've played less than 6 games in a team that supposedly has the worst list in history and aren't even 22yo yet. I'm not saying we've turned the corner just yet. We scraped home against two terrible sides in two terrible games of footy but to write them off is just ridiculous.

Give me a break.

Reply #36
These guys are SENsationalise Radio 1116 !

Just building audience numbers. Robbo was drivelling on there earlier when I was driving home, turned him off.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37
Lol. Finey

Reply #38
We will have done well if Jaksch and Plowman can both manage 100 games.

Whiley has an outside chance but I'm not confident that he, or any of the others, will make 100 games.  It will be a bonus if one does.

I think that I got it wrong about Jaksch.  He is showing some signs but seems to have a way to go if he is going to make it as an AFL footballer.  It will be a bonus if he gets to 100 games.

Plowman looks like he will be a lock as our third tall defender for some time.  He can play on taller players and moves well enough to take a small forward.  I'll be disappointed if he doesn't play 100 games.

I was wrong about Phillips too. I think that he will develop into a very fine ruckman and should rack up 100 games without any problems. Lamb and Sumner have both shown a bit too and 100 games between them is highly likely.

Whiley's 'outside chance' is looking more remote.

As for Mark Fine's comments, his credibility as a football analyst is right up there with Molly Meldrum, Kate Langbrook and Marina Prior.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
Having seen more of us play than Mr. Fine, I can say easily that:
[1] Lamb is not soft. He adds quite a lot more physical pressure than Garlett had for years. He is a more physical player who take overhead marks and puts his body in. The only thing soft about him was his kicking last weekend: it usually is better than that.
[2] Sumner is a kid playing and looking adequate. He did some nice things and also showed some physicality.

Neither of these guys is getting enough of the ball yet, nor are they kicking enough goals yet, but I would not throw them away. Not for a moment.

If he wants to look around for 'soft' players, perhaps he should look a little closer to home.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
My call at this early stage is:
Whiley - no

Plowman, Sumner, Phillips - yes

Lamb - likely, would like to see a bit more though

Jaksch - undecided. Has the goods - maybe more time needed.
 (Is it me or does he lack vertebral flexibility? from footage alone, looks as though his lower spine is flattened, that is limited lumbar curvature. No expert, so this is wild speculation only).
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #41

I texted in and called him a fkn idiot. Fine used to be good to listen to but now he's full of self-importance, thinking he's knows everything but in fact knows nothing. Finished the text telling him SOS knows all the players backwards and is an expert, while he's a wannabe expert.

Given he hates anyone disagreeing with him i'm surprised he didn't pick up on it and get personal like he always does.

Reply #42
Initially we wanted 3 players to really make it, Plowman, Jaksch and Sumner, the rest come as extra's and were bonuses. Those "bonuses" are producing good stuff.

Plowman, Jaksch and and Sumner will all do well. Seeing Jaksch play at Geelong the other Friday convinced me he'll be very good. Outstanding mark of a football and can kick. For someone who's not long 21yo, he'll be around for a while. Sumner will be really good once he is properly fit. Plowman has been terrific, especially for one who's pre-season was interrupted. Now getting plenty out of Lamb and Phillips.

Reply #43
My call at this early stage is:
Whiley - no

Plowman, Sumner, Phillips - yes

Lamb - likely, would like to see a bit more though

Jaksch - undecided. Has the goods - maybe more time needed.
 (Is it me or does he lack vertebral flexibility? from footage alone, looks as though his lower spine is flattened, that is limited lumbar curvature. No expert, so this is wild speculation only).

Haven't noticed but if it is that's a posterior tilt of the hips usually caused by tight hamstrings.

Reply #44
Sumner for a lightly built player is a bit more hard at than most of us expected and I have been impressed with his courage.....nice goal where he showed some smarts to kick the ball across his boot to get the angle and bounce right and I think he can progress and become a valuable player..