Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Pre Game Premonitions (Read 24478 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Pre Game Premonitions

Next Saturday night we play Gold Coast, fresh from their excellent win away against Freo. We, on the other hand, suffered at the hands of a red hot Sydney.
The game will be on free to air TV (Thank God!), so I will be able to see it.

I would be bringing Casey Byrne in and play Zac Tuohy more up the ground.
Our key defenders are struggling somewhat at the moment: very few possessions to Jamo, Rowe or White. Weitering again showed he is a player: he will be playing.
Everitt, Lamb and Casboult all disappointed and Walker was a late change. There may well be changes in this area.
Plowman is not ready yet, but he will get a go sooner rather than later.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Pre Game Premonitions

Reply #1
Next Saturday night we play Gold Coast, fresh from their excellent win away against Freo. We, on the other hand, suffered at the hands of a red hot Sydney.
The game will be on free to air TV (Thank God!), so I will be able to see it.

I would be bringing Casey Byrne in and play Zac Tuohy more up the ground.
Our key defenders are struggling somewhat at the moment: very few possessions to Jamo, Rowe or White. Weitering again showed he is a player: he will be playing.
Everitt, Lamb and Casboult all disappointed and Walker was a late change. There may well be changes in this area.
Plowman is not ready yet, but he will get a go sooner rather than later.

Jaksch for Everitt, Byrne for Phillips, Walker for Rowe

Reply #2
Jaksch for Everitt, Byrne for Lamb, Walker for Rowe
Jaksch for Everitt is the interesting one. According to Baggers, Jaksch was not in overly good form in the VFL. He took a few marks, but kicked no better than Casboult. As much as Everitt disappoints with his lack of intensity, he can take a very good mark and usually kicks reasonably.
It will be interesting to see which way the selectors go.
I would NOT promote Liam Jones, even though he supposedly was quite reasonable.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Jaksch for Everitt is the interesting one. According to Baggers, Jaksch was not in overly good form in the VFL. He took a few marks, but kicked no better than Casboult. As much as Everitt disappoints with his lack of intensity, he can take a very good mark and usually kicks reasonably.
It will be interesting to see which way the selectors go.
I would NOT promote Liam Jones, even though he supposedly was quite reasonable.

Jaksch apparently very marked well but kicked badly. I'm of the belief to have a shot at goal you have to get it first hence take my chances with Jaksch and Casboult, who will take a few strong marks. Everitt can't get near it.

Reply #4
Tend to agree with Crash about Everitt. He is one of our few reliable goal kickers despite his shortcomings elsewhere. BB would need a lot more convincing to bring Jones back so soon to replace him IMO.  In fact it will be case of who in the NBs  is making a strong case for a senior game rather than who has displeased BB enough to get dropped.

There was very good effort today, what is missing is class and polish. I would think Walker will come back if fit and maybe Byrne? Not sure atm who I would leave out from today's team.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Like today, dont expect to get near GC. They are now where we will be in 2-3 years. Stranger things have happened, road trip bonding, who knows. Changes are required, some of the older blokes just continue to make the same errors.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Everitt at full forward (and nowhere else) and Weitering at CHF....(if we're giving him an education let's give him a well rounded one...there's nothing to lose)

Reply #7
Weitering at CHF....(if we're giving him an education let's give him a well rounded one...there's nothing to lose)
See I cant agree. He's a defender, a bloody good one at that. Will patrol (and eventually control) our defence for the next 10 to 15 years. Leave him there, don't break him like we have done to to many others. Whats to be gained by playing him fwd? For me nothing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
See I cant agree. He's a defender, a bloody good one at that. Will patrol (and eventually control) our defence for the next 10 to 15 years. Leave him there, don't break him like we have done to to many others. Whats to be gained by playing him fwd? For me nothing.

What would we rather... a permanent set defender or a guy who can play both forward and back?

He may be an absolute dud as a forward....but we'll never know unless we give him an opportunity.

He may turn out to be Carlton's greatest defender.... but our current "greatest ever defender" could also go forward and kick a few goals ;)
It's about turning him into the "best footballer"...not the "best defender or forward".
How could it possibly be detrimental to his development as a defender to get up close and personal with some of the competitions best defenders and see how they go about their jobs.
Makes perfect sense from an education point of view..

Reply #9
I'm going to this game, 1st live game in a few years for me, looking forward to it, hopefully the Blues put on a good show !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #10
HI was going to the game on the GC as well, but will be in Melb working through the weekend, didnt work that out to well did I? Even though will be interesting, from all reports Jaksch isnt up to a senior game as yet, Plowman got through a half, Walker may return, can see whole sale changes. Everitt, can certainly put in the bad ones , but think he has to stay , no one really challenging for his spot & at least he is a reliable kick

Reply #11
HI was going to the game on the GC as well, but will be in Melb working through the weekend, didnt work that out to well did I? Even though will be interesting, from all reports Jaksch isnt up to a senior game as yet, Plowman got through a half, Walker may return, can see whole sale changes. Everitt, can certainly put in the bad ones , but think he has to stay , no one really challenging for his spot & at least he is a reliable kick

Doesn't matter how reliable he is if he can't be bothered to get his hands on the pill.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
I think we need to be more concerned about setting standards rather than worrying about the names on the team sheet.

If Jones has earned a game, and Everitt has earned a dropping then it has to happen, else we will never get anywhere.

What we won't know is the criteria that the coach is using to do these things, but Liam Jones has to come into the side if he is working hard, because it will encourage others to work hard and do what is asked to earn a game and hopefully build a positive team culture.  Curnow really tried yesterday (Charlie).  He is probably not up to competing with a team like Sydney as yet, but even in the fourth quarter I saw him put in two repeat efforts (admittedly the tackles were pretty weak) but he applied pressure, and got hands on two opponents in a sequence and thats the important bit.  Executing the tackle will come in time, but all you can ask for is the effort from guys like him.

Likewise, you cant use the same standard for all players.  A youngster will earn a game off a lesser effort than an older player because the expectation is different, but if you reward the right actions, and punish the wrong ones everyone will get it, and this will breed the culture we need moving forward.  
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
At the same time effort has to be judged along with consistency. Flash in the pan efforts are also the road to nowhere - we need to see consistency in meeting the required standards week in week out. Liam Jones is nowhere near that standard as yet. so why would he get a recall?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
Jaksch for Everitt, Byrne for Phillips, Walker for Rowe

Think Rowe has been pretty solid first two games, couldnt help bu think yesterday our best 3 defenders are Weitering, Rowe, White...
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset