Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 8: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 22092 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 8: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #30
I like Simon White as a full-on competitor but the defence looks stronger with Jamo.

I was surprised that Graham was dropped last week so, after a lone-hand (almost) performance in the VFL this week, he could be considered for promotion if there is a vacancy.

Everitt and Lamb seem to perform a similar role with both seeming to be too slow to provide the defensive chase that is evident with the rest of the team. Everitt tends to have higher highs and lower lows (often in the same game) so I would not be surprised to see Lamb miss out if there is pressure for selection

Reply #31
I thought that Army's nous and defensive pressure was valuable.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #32
I like Simon White as a full-on competitor but the defence looks stronger with Jamo.

I was surprised that Graham was dropped last week so, after a lone-hand (almost) performance in the VFL this week, he could be considered for promotion if there is a vacancy.

Everitt and Lamb seem to perform a similar role with both seeming to be too slow to provide the defensive chase that is evident with the rest of the team. Everitt tends to have higher highs and lower lows (often in the same game) so I would not be surprised to see Lamb miss out if there is pressure for selection

I thought Lamb went ok and provided some decent contests...got up the nose of Ben Reid at one stage and I think he has changed his game style to follow the coaches orders.....coaches like that and I dont see him dropped while he continues to follow directions and create opportunities for others.

Reply #33
I thought Lamb went ok and provided some decent contests...got up the nose of Ben Reid at one stage and I think he has changed his game style to follow the coaches orders.....coaches like that and I dont see him dropped while he continues to follow directions and create opportunities for others.
I thought Lamb played his most effective game for us to date. However, I gave some votes to Graham last week and it didn't stop him from being dropped.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
I thought Lamb played his most effective game for us to date. However, I gave some votes to Graham last week and it didn't stop him from being dropped.

It's a positive when we can't always find a spot for a player who has been playing OK and is no bad reflection on that player.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
Agreed, he was getting better every game too - his disposal was becoming less of a liability - and he wasn't Robinson Carusoe at CFC!

I disagree. His disposal was still an issue til the very end. I don't miss the constant turnovers from him and knob head Robbo.

Reply #36
Agreed, he was getting better every game too - his disposal was becoming less of a liability - and he wasn't Robinson Carusoe at CFC!

A player of his style and size would be a significant benefit for Cripps as a chop-out, someone who keeps opponents working hard when Cripps is not there. But I think we can even suggest that Kreuzer if not rucking or even Plowman might get a midfield role eventually, from the way he handles himself in traffic perhaps even Weitering could have a midfield run.

Still don't understand why Tuohy isn't getting more on-ball game time as an attacking midfielder rather than tagging.

Byrne looks OK in traffic as well, he might be an option eventually.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
A player of his style and sizer would be a significant benefit for Cripps as a chop-out, someone who keeps opponents working hard when Cripps is not there. But I think we can even suggest that Kreuzer if not rucking or even Plowman might get a midfield role eventually, from the way he handles himself in traffic perhaps even Weitering could have a midfield run.

Still don't understand why Tuohy isn't getting more on-ball game time as an attacking midfielder rather than tagging.

Byrne looks OK in traffic as well, he might be an option eventually.

Its tactical.

Everyone expects Tuohy to be up and about near the goals, so they have planned to shut him down, and now we have released Simpson, Byrne and Docherty to do it in turns.

Sooner or later he will have his turn again.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
I disagree. His disposal was still an issue til the very end. I don't miss the constant turnovers from him and knob head Robbo.

Bell is a better footballer than Robinson.
Mitch goes hard and knows how to find the ball but far too often he just roosts it blind, Bell's foot skills aren't a lot better but he at least thinks about what he's doing and his first instinct is always attack.
It's a bummer that we couldn't keep him, none of the others that left bother me too much.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #39
Carlton's extended squad for Round 8:

Backs   42. Zach Tuohy   17. Sam Rowe   6. Kade Simpson
Half-backs   39. Dale Thomas   20. Lachie Plowman   38. Ciaran Byrne
Centreline   15. Sam Docherty   46. Matthew Wright   19. Liam Sumner
Half-forwards   1. Andrew Walker   14. Liam Jones   4. Bryce Gibbs
Forwards   11. Sam Kerridge   41. Levi Casboult   27. Dennis Armfield
Followers   8. Matthew Kreuzer   9. Patrick Cripps   3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange (from):   7. Dylan Buckley   35. Ed Curnow   33. Andrejs Everitt
    32. Nick Graham   13. Jed Lamb   43. Simon White
    40. Michael Jamison       
In: White, Buckley, Graham

Out: Nil
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40
After such a solid effort last week, it's hard to find players to drop.

But Graham should be rewarded for his tackle count last weekend, and White will add grunt to the backline.

In: Graham & White
Out: Walker & Jamison
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #41
After such a solid effort last week, it's hard to find players to drop.

But Graham should be rewarded for his tackle count last weekend, and White will add grunt to the backline.

In: Graham & White
Out: Walker & Jamison

Walker's listed in the 18 so will play.

Be out of Jammo and White.

Reply #42
I've heard a whisper Sumner might be an out with a corky.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Walker's listed in the 18 so will play.

Be out of Jammo and White.

I've always been a fan of Walks but he's very lucky to be in the side after last week.
Curnow will play and Everitt couldn't possibly be dropped, which leaves Jamison and White to fight over one spot and Buckley, Lamb and Graham for the other one.
I'd go with White and Graham, I never imagined I'd ever be picking White ahead of Jamison but Jamo looks busted to me.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #44
Walker to play to give us multiple forward options and people capable of stopping run from the Port defence.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................