Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 8: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 23866 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 8: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #45
Feeling pretty good about this game now.

Not sure all is right inside the Port camp. If we can keep the pressure on I think we'll win.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #46
I've heard a whisper Sumner might be an out with a corky.

Was it from the same whisperer last week who told you Cripps was out?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #47
Carlton

B: Zach Tuohy, Sam Rowe, Kade Simpson.
HB: Dale Thomas, Lachie Plowman, Ciaran Byrne.
C: Sam Docherty, Matthew Wright, Liam Sumner .
HF: Andrew Walker, Liam Jones, Bryce Gibbs.
F: Sam Kerridge, Levi Casboult, Dennis Armfield.
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy.
Int: Dylan Buckley, Ed Curnow, Andrejs Everitt, Nick Graham, Jed Lamb, Simon White, Michael Jamison.

In: Dylan Buckley, Nick Graham, Simon White

I am a bit surprised that Buckley got recalled. Comments from last week did not suggest he had much of a game. Graham, on the other hand, probably couldn't do any more than he did.
The question as to whether to play White or Jamison must be interesting, considering Port's forward set up.
I would have liked another ruckman: only having one is a potential disaster point. However, we don't have any fit rucks other than Korchek to bring in. White he rucked as well as he can at this point in his development last week, that does not mean that he is ready for the seniors yet.
I wouldn't have played Everitt last week: he made me look like a dill until he decided to drop the 3 easiest chest marks I've ever seen dropped.
I wouldn't have played Walker last week and early in the peace I was again looking like a dill. But then Andrew didn't get a possession for the rest of the game and I looked somewhat better justified. Actually I am a little surprised that Andrew survived. I would like to see him earn some form in the VFL and kick a few goals and get 20+ possessions. Too much to ask? I can dream.

Port Adelaide

B: Jarman Impey, Tom Jonas, Jasper Pittard.
HB: Cam O'Shea, Jack Hombsch, Matthew Broadbent.
C: Jared Polec, Ollie Wines, Brad Ebert.
HF: Jake Neade, Charlie Dixon, Hamish Hartlett.
F: Aaron Young, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard.
Foll: Jackson Trengove, Travis Boak, Brendon Ah Chee.
Int: Paul Stewart, Karl Amon, Jimmy Toumpas, Dougal Howard, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Sam Gray, Nathan Krakouer.

In: Karl Amon, Dougal Howard, Sam Gray

Port have gone into this game small, but quick. They are hoping Trengove works like he did last week. It would not be the way to bet, but we look to that and underestimate him at our peril. He does have Dixon and Westhoff (and Stewart, if he plays) as back-up. In the past Wingard has got goals against us: he hasn't necessarily played all that well, but he has kicked more than his fair share of goals.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #48
Was it from the same whisperer last week who told you Cripps was out?

In fairness to the rumor mongers even our own forum posters reported Cripps trained indoors boxing away from the main group, so it was reasonable for the suspicions he'd miss. Ducks and Drakes I suppose.

This week it comes from a Carlton supporter who told me he saw Sumner walking the boundary at training. Apparently he got a corky last weekend, I didn't see but then if it's not on camera TV often won't report it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
I would have liked another ruckman: only having one is a potential disaster point. However, we don't have any fit rucks other than Korchek to bring in.

In regards to the rucks we are always at our best with Kreuzer rucking most of the day and some relief from Casboult. Kreuzer and Casboult both play alot better. We've seen all this for years and saw it again last week. Two genuine rucks rarely works for us and certainly hurts Kreuzer's game.

Reply #50
That works a LOT better when Kreuzer is taking a few marks. Last week he had what was, in many ways, his best game for the year and he still took only one mark. It wasn't even contested. The previous week he and Phillips worked together pretty well.
But you do have a point: many of our rucks like being in the game more and do well doing the majority of the work. Kreuzer has his best games that way. But it does leave very few options if things do NOT work.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #51
In regards to the rucks we are always at our best with Kreuzer rucking most of the day and some relief from Casboult. Kreuzer and Casboult both play alot better. We've seen all this for years and saw it again last week. Two genuine rucks rarely works for us and certainly hurts Kreuzer's game.

Sorry Jim,

Krooz and Phillips were far better than Krooz alone.

I'd expect the MC to go straight back to this model when Phillips gets over his hammy.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #52
Even if it were the case that Kreuzer needs to play all day we shouldn't not play other ruck men to suit him, it's a team sport and Kreuzer plays the role we tell him to. Phillips could leave and end up the next Sam Jacobs.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
Walker to play to give us multiple forward options and people capable of stopping run from the Port defence.

Give the bloke a break, was always going to be rusty first game back after a month!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
Give the bloke a break, was always going to be rusty first game back after a month!

Thought I was.

Reply #55
My two cents worth? I reckon we will win. Why? Just  because I have confidence in the coach, his staff and the players. Also, PA haven't been good this year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56
Etihad might be an advantage for us, but I still reckon Port, even though their form has been scratchy, will be too good.

Reply #57
Etihad might be an advantage for us, but I still reckon Port, even though their form has been scratchy, will be too good.

If PA fire then they may have just a bit too much class for us but if we can keep the pressure on as we did v. the Pies then we're in with a show without doubt. We must play the game in our fwd half of the ground!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #58
When was the last time we won at Etihad?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #59
When was the last time we won at Etihad?

When it was Telstra Stadium?  :)
Reality always wins in the end.