Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 8: Post Game Euphoria!: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 35924 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 8: Post Game Euphoria!: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #90
Wish I could bottle that atmosphere of the last 5 mins of this game......that's what going to the footy is all about......my eyes welled up when the siren went in utter euphoria, as Carlton supporters were hugging & high-fiving all around me.....it was a very special win.....best win I've seen since the Elimination final win over Richmond. I was exhausted at game's end - haven't barracked that hard for a very long time.

Has Kreuzer ever played a better game?

Has Rowe ever played a better game?

Has Murphy ever displayed himself as a bonafide AFL captain in every sense of the word than he did today?

Has Gibbs ever shown more class at crucial moments?

Have we ever tackled that well & with such intent all game?

Have any of us ever seen a gutsier win?

No, no, no, no, no & no.

The consummate team performance today. I thought we were gone when Casboult went down, I definitely thought we were gone when Kreuzer went off, I even more definitely thought we were gone when Cripps didn't start the last quarter & I was convinced we were gone when Port got to 18 points up just over halfway through the last.......but look at that - we won!!!

How were the footskills of Daisy Thomas today? Two absolutely searing, 40m passes into the forward line, that never looked like missing their intended target. Even our quieter players had some sort of positive influence on this result. Players were being swung all over the place by Bolton in order to keep us in the game, it was brilliant stuff by a coach who is taking to this caper like a duck to water.

4 wins last year......4 wins this year to round 8.......incredible.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Re: Rd 8: Post Game _______: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #91
With the injuries we had, there were a LOT of changes when it came to who played on whom. Plowman, Tuohy and Docherty all sent time of Wind-bag, whose only kicks we 'Joe - the - Goose' types. He was well Beaten by everyone who played on him. In fact, in the last quarter Docherty had 13 possessions on Wind-bag. That was wonderful to see.

Plowman showed his versatility in the way he handled Dixon and Westhoff as well as Wind-bag. Like you, Bear, I really liked the way he just got up and went on with the game.
In fact, the way our defence responded to our injuries was excellent. I really liked that. In the past few years we have haemorrhaged goals. Not any longer. They may have got some easy ones - many of their goals were pretty easy, in fact - but they got very few opportunities of any sort.

It's really interesting how we've been able to hold teams goalless for ten to fifteen minutes and then one mistake, one loss of concentration and the opposition kicks two cheapies.  Overall though our team defence has been a revelation.  Especially the second half today where Port kept kicking to three Blues players.

Reply #92
Outstanding, gutsy effort epitomised by selfless, team orientated football with contributions from everybody.

All we ask for as supporters is 100% effort and we got that today.

To see blokes like Rowe step up when it matters shows that the group is developing and underlines that the club is heading in the right direction - not flash in the pan stuff but wholescale cultural shift.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #93
Outstanding, gutsy effort epitomised by selfless, team orientated football with contributions from everybody.

All we ask for as supporters is 100% effort and we got that today.

To see blokes like Rowe step up when it matters shows that the group is developing and underlines that the club is heading in the right direction - not flash in the pan stuff but wholescale cultural shift.

Yes, that's exactly what it is.... wholesale cultural shift. Love it ^-^
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Re: Rd 8: Post Game _______: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #94
With the injuries we had, there were a LOT of changes when it came to who played on whom. Plowman, Tuohy and Docherty all sent time of Wind-bag, whose only kicks we 'Joe - the - Goose' types. He was well Beaten by everyone who played on him. In fact, in the last quarter Docherty had 13 possessions on Wind-bag. That was wonderful to see.

Plowman showed his versatility in the way he handled Dixon and Westhoff as well as Wind-bag. Like you, Bear, I really liked the way he just got up and went on with the game.
In fact, the way our defence responded to our injuries was excellent. I really liked that. In the past few years we have haemorrhaged goals. Not any longer. They may have got some easy ones - many of their goals were pretty easy, in fact - but they got very few opportunities of any sort.

Still to face some of the better teams, but the difference in our backline this year is startling... just the way they set up. Bolton is either a genius or it is an indictment on Malthouse. Maybe it is both. I'm sure we will struggle as the year goes on, but we are so far ahead of what was dished up last year.

Docherty was great, Tuohy probably had his best game for the year, Byrne continues to impress.

Reply #95
Only disappointment today was the fox commentary, in particular sandy Roberts, just very average.

Reply #96
Wish I could bottle that atmosphere of the last 5 mins of this game......that's what going to the footy is all about......my eyes welled up when the siren went in utter euphoria, as Carlton supporters were hugging & high-fiving all around me.....it was a very special win.....best win I've seen since the Elimination final win over Richmond. I was exhausted at game's end - haven't barracked that hard for a very long time.

Has Murphy ever displayed himself as a bonafide AFL captain in every sense of the word than he did today?

No, no, no, no, no & no.

The consummate team performance today. I thought we were gone when Casboult went down, I definitely thought we were gone when Kreuzer went off, I even more definitely thought we were gone when Cripps didn't start the last quarter & I was convinced we were gone when Port got to 18 points up just over halfway through the last.......but look at that - we won!!!

How were the footskills of Daisy Thomas today? Two absolutely searing, 40m passes into the forward line, that never looked like missing their intended target. Even our quieter players had some sort of positive influence on this result. Players were being swung all over the place by Bolton in order to keep us in the game, it was brilliant stuff by a coach who is taking to this caper like a duck to water.

Sometimes I've wondered about some of your " We'll all be doomed said Hanrahan" type messages Brettie but that was a pleasure to read.

Reply #97
Only disappointment today was the fox commentary, in particular sandy Roberts, just very average.
Why? I was at the game And didn't hear any commentary??

Reply #98
Why? I was at the game And didn't hear any commentary??

I was at the game too. Watched the highlights and found the commentary limp. I was really looking forward to kroozers goal when the roof lifted off and sandy didn't get out of third gear. Prefer Dwane pipe for the big moments

Reply #99
I reckon Sandy is one of the best commentators going around. Goes back to the good ol' days

Reply #100
I reckon Sandy is one of the best commentators going around. Goes back to the good ol' days

He crapted me back at the 95 GF too.

Doesn't do it for me but each to their own

Reply #101
Yes, I think his 2010 game against Port was better, but the 2011 Swans game has both covered by some margin.

Possibly his best, certainly this one had the greatest impact.

Yes of course, and ditto!

The best in the Bolton era, but we had some mighty tackling games under Ratten with the similar core group, even under Barker last year it there was an effort but without a result!

It was very good, was it the best, well maybe but we can certainly be happy.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
good enough for finals football and this makes me happy

Reply #103
I agree with you totally. There were only 26000 people, but don't be surprised if more than 100 000 claim to have been there in years to come. The noise created by that crowd was something. It was a win to savour!

Well, the short answer is probably 'No'. But it was more that he NOT start well. Early it looked like Port were going to get away with Trengove as a ruckman again, as he started getting a lot of the ball and having his mids get the clearances. When Kreuzer came back on, he was a man on a mission, probably more than ever before in our colours. He not only lifted at the centre, he stopped Trengove getting the ball while getting it himself and kicked 2 clutch goals. It was inspirational stuff!

Probably played as well, but never better. He held his marks and was the catalyst to breaking Port's hold over the clearances. He has never played a game where he had so many roles and managed to do them all correctly!

Murphy has shown a lot of maturity as a player and a leader this year. I don't think he has played one game as spectacularly as he has in the past, but he has been far more solid and has really shown the way in his attitude and his consistent efforts. You can almost see the mantra: "It is not about me, it is about us!" as he approaches the ball.

In his B&F year he got close a few times, but it would be hard to argue against.

I can barely believe that the umps actually paid them. So many times in the past when we have threatened to do something like that, we get shattered by poor decisions and non - decisions. But today we made the tackles count and were rewarded.

No, no, no, no, no & no.
Not for a LOT of years.

There was a LOT to like about today. But we have to improve more to beat the upper sides (even though Port thinks they are one).
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #104
Gibbs was in opposition faces all day needs to do that every week - he was a real leader today long may it last