Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 8: Post Game Euphoria!: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 35842 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 8: Post Game Euphoria!: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #120
We are seeing value from Daisy now.

At critical moments, he is a cool head who displays the decision making and execution that many lack, at precisely the right time.

He isn't a Judd,  he isn't a pendlebury,  he isn't a cripps but he is a classy Mr fix it and see are seeing his best now that we have everyone pulling in the same direction.
The overhead handballs by Daisy which led the Lamb goal in the first and then another in the last which got Everitt into space for a goal were special.
I'm having alot of man love for the ex-GWS boys. Plow is solid and courageous, Lamb and Sumner are reasonable quick by hand and foot. The rove off the pack on the wing in the last by Sumner was text book. All three can all kick straight which is a bonus, the two little fellas have scored crucial goals in the last 4 weeks.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #121
I think Bolton's measured replies post-match say it all. It was a great "effort" game, and that gives you some pride to take away from the game, but in the cold hard light of day there is still much to improve.

Finals football is Everest Base Camp, we are actually looking like we want to get there, but we have only just started the walk through the foot hills and we are roughing out the map and plan. This time next season, provided the AFL don't b0rk up the rules again, we will have a clearly definitive plan of attack and be on the rise.
He really did seem like he had bigger fish to fry.

He was almost dismissive of the win.

Reply #122

Yep, one battle won in a long war!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #123

He's a cunning fox that Bolton. Those boring, repetitive pressers that he gives mask a guy who would be absolutely pumped about the wins, absolutely pumped that his methods and messages are getting through to the players.

Would not be surprised if his neighbors have some photos of him doing nude dancing celebrations in his backyard last night.

Reply #124
He's a cunning fox that Bolton. Those boring, repetitive pressers that he gives mask a guy who would be absolutely pumped about the wins, absolutely pumped that his methods and messages are getting through to the players.

Would not be surprised if his neighbors have some photos of him doing nude dancing celebrations in his backyard last night.

He is managing expectations expertly, at the same time as making sure the players and others at the club don't get ahead of themselves by always setting the next goal. I love the fact that he says "They can have one day to enjoy a win and then it's back to business and hard work".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #125
He certainly isn't smiling like a Cheshire Cat like he used to!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #126
The overhead handballs by Daisy which led the Lamb goal in the first and then another in the last which got Everitt into space for a goal were special.
I'm having alot of man love for the ex-GWS boys. Plow is solid and courageous, Lamb and Sumner are reasonable quick by hand and foot. The rove off the pack on the wing in the last by Sumner was text book. All three can all kick straight which is a bonus, the two little fellas have scored crucial goals in the last 4 weeks.

The 5 GWS guys - all potential 150 game players:

Plowman - 21 going 22. Will be a gun. Can play small and tall. #3 in his draft year. Looks shorter than 193cm but who cares!
Sumner - 22 going 23. injury riddled career thus far. Will get fitter and faster as he plays more. Has footy smarts and a good finisher. #10 in his draft (a Sandy lad)
Lamb - 23 going 24 - taken by Swans back when. Goal sneak, who finds the pill - could have kicked 4 yesterday.
Phillips - 24 going 25 - injured but as they say, the big guys take longer. Can take a contested grab and mobile around the ground.
Jaksch - 21 (only) going on 22. 196cm KPP swingman. Everyone seems frustrated with this lad. not sure why, still very young and needs to bulk up a bit (but then a guy like Dustin Fletcher was never 'bulky'). Hopefully will play seniors this weekend with the Bolt and Weitering sidelined.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
The 5 GWS guys - all potential 150 game players:

Plowman - 21 going 22. Will be a gun. Can play small and tall. #3 in his draft year. Looks shorter than 193cm but who cares!
Sumner - 22 going 23. injury riddled career thus far. Will get fitter and faster as he plays more. Has footy smarts and a good finisher. #10 in his draft (a Sandy lad)
Lamb - 23 going 24 - taken by Swans back when. Goal sneak, who finds the pill - could have kicked 4 yesterday.
Phillips - 24 going 25 - injured but as they say, the big guys take longer. Can take a contested grab and mobile around the ground.
Jaksch - 21 (only) going on 22. 196cm KPP swingman. Everyone seems frustrated with this lad. not sure why, still very young and needs to bulk up a bit (but then a guy like Dustin Fletcher was never 'bulky'). Hopefully will play seniors this weekend with the Bolt and Weitering sidelined.

Plowman and Sumner didnt have pre-seasons, either.  With a pre-season under their belt, they can step it up another notch, next year

Re: Rd 8: Post Game _______: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #128
How well did Rowe play when Casboult's role was entrusted upon him. Back in the role we originally recruited him for.

At one stage in the last, I thought we had Wayne Carey at CHF....... Rowe was clunking marks, crashing packs, kicking straight, marshalling the forward line........ then 20 secs later he was in the ruck, doing the same thing!!!!.........   There is NO way I saw that coming!!   At the start of the 3rd Q, we looked flat and I thought we were cooked - then Rowe and Jones start their  Dermie and Dunstall impersonations, for 25 minutes, and we had a fully functioning forward line for the first time since Fev left.

Turned to a mate, with about 5 mins to go, to ask him to check online, how much Rowe was paying for the Coleman!!!!

Reply #129
From Wiki, re Rowe's time at Norwood:

In 2008, Rowe moved to Adelaide, and joined the Norwood Football Club in the SANFL. Rowe played four seasons with Norwood, playing 86 senior games and kicking 112 goals for the club.[3]

Kicked 6.1 against Sturt in one game, a few other bags of 4:

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=Sam%20Rowe&action=PSTATS&pID=190810149&client=1-3289-0-103282-10028550
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #130
He is managing expectations expertly, at the same time as making sure the players and others at the club don't get ahead of themselves by always setting the next goal. I love the fact that he says "They can have one day to enjoy a win and then it's back to business and hard work".

Yes, an expert at the proverbial, cliched "keeping a lid on it."

Reply #131
Just finished watching the replay. Can't believe that Rowe is the same player who's best not so long ago was a two handed punch. He didnt just contest the ruck but won it well and cleanly. He looks agile and his kicking is sweet which is just as well because we'll need two of him next week.

Another thing I noted was how switched on Gibb's was right from the start. If he could bring that every week he'll win a brownlow.

Reply #132
Just finished watching the replay. Can't believe that Rowe is the same player who's best not so long ago was a two handed punch. He didnt just contest the ruck but won it well and cleanly. He looks agile and his kicking is sweet which is just as well because we'll need two of him next week.

Another thing I noted was how switched on Gibb's was right from the start. If he could bring that every week he'll win a brownlow.

Rowe will have to ruck again this week...probably assisting Cam Wood, was a part time ruckman for Norwood so he
isnt a complete novice...

Reply #133
Rowe will have to ruck again this week...probably assisting Cam Wood, was a part time ruckman for Norwood so he
isnt a complete novice...

He'll do it well even against Goldy. I'm just amazed at what a dose confidence has done for him. So many were calling him a spud, come to think of it I like spuds. :)

Reply #134
Just finished watching the replay. Can't believe that Rowe is the same player who's best not so long ago was a two handed punch.

He panics when he is down back, not trusting his marking and afraid of getting caught with the ball ( hence the chaos kicks and handballs).  Up forward and on the ball he can back himself without fear of consequences.  

Some people are natural backmen, many aren't.  The Casboult injury might just prove to be a bonus for Rowe.