Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 9: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. North Melbourne (Read 32033 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 9: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. North Melbourne

Reply #120
I really think that this time last year that game would have been a 100+ point loss for us. Despite Goldstein giving their mids an armchair ride our boys never threw in the towel. And this time last year, personnel wise, we probably would have fielded a stronger side.

There were some obvious positives. The continued development of Byrne... the bloke has only played about 8 games FFS!!! Sumner will only improve, especially when he gets a proper pre season. Docherty as player and leader continues to grow. Weitering slotted back in beautifully and showed no tentative actions re his shoulder. Plowman continues to improve....

We know we have some real triers but they're just not up to it. Hopefully, this time next year blokes who just can't break into the senior side will include, Walker, Armfield, Everitt, Graham, Jamison, Jones, Lamb, Rowe, White etc...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #121
Question from the game - who played on Petrie? Was it Simon White? I forgot to take note of this match-up when I was at the game. I know Plowman started on Brown & got murdered early, but not sure if White played on Petrie or Waite.

I think there were certainly changes rung but when I noticed I think it was Plowman on Waite, Weitering on Brown and White on Petrie, who did not seem to be figuring much at that time. Rowe moved back later in the game also.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #122
Thanks Cookie - I was almost sure it was White on Petrie, but just wanted to be backed-up on that. In that case, White played an excellent game it has to be said.

Anyone else disappointed in our midfield setup for centre bounces? Surely we had to play tight man-on-man, but I did not see this tactic at any stage & thought our coaches got it horribly wrong in that regard. They knew Goldstein would have free reign at the centre bounces, but I don't think Bolton & co. hatched a good enough plan to counter that.....thought it was Bolton's biggest fail so far this year (not the result, but the inability to formulate a tactic to counter a dominant opposing ruckman).
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #123
Question from the game - who played on Petrie? Was it Simon White? I forgot to take note of this match-up when I was at the game. I know Plowman started on Brown & got murdered early, but not sure if White played on Petrie or Waite.

Watching a fair bit of David Kings (yes, I know) stuff recently and he shows a lot of forward and back set ups .

Last night he showed one where the three forwards lined up on the three backs but as the ball was bounced in the centre the three backs held a v shape defensive structure from CHF but the forwards ran off and did what they liked, even swapping opponents.

It wasn't out game but I don't think players actually play on opponent often anymore as a single strategy. The Swap and change depending on what roles each other has and the forwards try to get the matchups they want.

Would love to be in on some of those meetings.

I'd love to sit in on A pre-game meeting
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #124
Thanks Cookie - I was almost sure it was White on Petrie, but just wanted to be backed-up on that. In that case, White played an excellent game it has to be said.

Anyone else disappointed in our midfield setup for centre bounces? Surely we had to play tight man-on-man, but I did not see this tactic at any stage & thought our coaches got it horribly wrong in that regard. They knew Goldstein would have free reign at the centre bounces, but I don't think Bolton & co. hatched a good enough plan to counter that.....thought it was Bolton's biggest fail so far this year (not the result, but the inability to formulate a tactic to counter a dominant opposing ruckman).

It might simply be that we are not playing man on man anywhere anymore and its all about how the group functions rather than the particular matchup.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #125
It might simply be that we are not playing man on man anywhere anymore and its all about how the group functions rather than the particular matchup.

Bolts and the players have said many times that it team defence so they are sticking to the game plan. Time will tell if the personal that we currently have can execute the plan or if there are tweaks that need to be made along the way.

Reply #126

They also played a loose man in defense all night, giving us an extra player further up the ground, and we didn't make very good use of that either!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #127

it has become a joke. Who is the midfield coach?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #129
team defence should start in our fwd line,easy turnover cause no structure going fwd so the opp just run it out ,think all the easy goals nth got and even collingwood game 

Reply #130

BB is far from stupid so I guess the only conclusion we can draw atm is that the set up is a WIP that we haven't yet mastered or perfected?? Just guessing but hopefully we'll improve over time. Things under development can sometimes fall apart under stress and North's mids are just the class of guys who can apply that stress in spades in terms of probing to find weak points.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #131
team defence should start in our fwd line,easy turnover cause no structure going fwd so the opp just run it out ,think all the easy goals nth got and even collingwood game

Pretty easy to blame the forwardline for an easy turnover.

If we lowered our eyes and hit targets rather than just bombing it long, we might actually be able to keep it in there.

How often did our "forward entry" end up going straight to a 3 on 1 contest against us with Robbie Tarrant taking a very easy mark?

The answer isnt to do with what our forwards were not doing, and very much to do with the lack of intelligence in our ball use.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #132
Pretty easy to blame the forwardline for an easy turnover.

If we lowered our eyes and hit targets rather than just bombing it long, we might actually be able to keep it in there.

How often did our "forward entry" end up going straight to a 3 on 1 contest against us with Robbie Tarrant taking a very easy mark?

The answer isnt just to do with what our forwards were not doing, and very much to do with the lack of intelligence in our ball use.

I sort of agree with an edit!

I think the forward line is weak, but the ball use is worse! ;)

Even with Buckley out of the side, as he is often a horrendous decision maker and ball user, we haven't really improved.

Players like Lamb, Plowman and Sumner should improve over the next two or three seasons, the older players it is already too late for them I am afraid.

PS; I am not sure Weitering can get any better than he already is, having said that we haven't really seen him use his feet with confidence yet. Wait until he starts hitting 40-50m bullet like passes and 70m shots at goal. He did it at junior level and in the TAC Cup but we haven't seen much of it as yet, he is playing it safe and also his team-mates are not switched on to the range the kids leg has! 60m away they are often not watching or leading!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
DELETED
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #134
Tim Clarke - Midfield
John Barker - stoppages

Bolts thinks they're going well.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................