Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Ikon (Read 27904 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Ikon

Reply #90
Whiley and Dick are useful VFL footballers but too slow for the AFL.

Yet put either in a sprint race with a (same age) Sam Mitchell and SM would be left in their dust....

it's not speed, it's speed of mind.

Can't really comment on Dick other than to say we do have many HBF options but Whiley should be given every opportunity - he is a big unit and can find the pill.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #91
Yet put either in a sprint race with a (same age) Sam Mitchell and SM would be left in their dust....

it's not speed, it's speed of mind.

Can't really comment on Dick other than to say we do have many HBF options but Whiley should be given every opportunity - he is a big unit and can find the pill.

Pretty much this.

What I would say is that if we delist Whiley and Dick I hope we try and keep them at the NB's. We really need to boost the second tiers competitiveness and these two guys are perfect for that purpose. Been in the system for 4 or 5 years, by all accounts professional in their preparation and application .

The NB's need far more support from us .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #92
on when SOSOS is ready to play for the Blues.
I saw SOS play his first game.
He was so young and unready,
but as I recall he played on Peter Knights.
That is formidible!
He took a screamer over PeterK
PeterK took a screamer over SOS
He did well.
His talent radiated.
I look forward to seeing Jack play
I am sure Stephen and Serge will give the nod when he is ready.
Silvagni is Carlton at its best.
Long for the day!

Reply #93
on when SOSOS is ready to play for the Blues.
I saw SOS play his first game.
He was so young and unready,
but as I recall he played on Peter Knights.
That is formidible!
He took a screamer over PeterK
PeterK took a screamer over SOS
He did well.
His talent radiated.
I look forward to seeing Jack play
I am sure Stephen and Serge will give the nod when he is ready.
Silvagni is Carlton at its best.
Long for the day!
We all long for the day mate, it will be sweet. As BB says though, there is no entitlement, it must be earned.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #94
You kick 4 goals and have 21 possessions in the seconds at our club (who struggle to put the ball through the big sticks) - sorry but you've got to play 1s.

Is he "ready"?

I don't care - find a spot for him... probably Nick Graham. I guess Sumner has to come back in too.

Reply #95
You kick 4 goals and have 21 possessions in the seconds at our club (who struggle to put the ball through the big sticks) - sorry but you've got to play 1s.

Is he "ready"?

I don't care - find a spot for him... probably Nick Graham. I guess Sumner has to come back in too.

OK, you bring in a bloke who hasn't yet developed the tank to run out a VFL game and play him out of position; that'll work  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #96
OK, you bring in a bloke who hasn't yet developed the tank to run out a VFL game and play him out of position; that'll work  ::)

Don't you know anything DJC? he's a Silvagni and we are impatient Carlton supporters. He should have nominated for the draft at 14 and played 80 games by now!!!!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #97
Gotta say, the 'potential' future, or next era, tall forward setup for The Mighty Blues of Harry McKay (200cm), Charlie Curnow (194cm) and Jack Silvagni (191cm) is mouth-watering.

No guarantees ofcourse but looking solid.

Might be able to add a couple of newbies such as current GWS tall forwards seeking opportunities such as James Stewart (197cm) and Adam Tomlinson (193cm).

Mason Wood (192cm) from the Kangas goes alright too.

Josh Battle (192cm) in the u18s is one to watch too and potentially also the ineligible Giants academy prospect Todd Marshall (197cm).

We're hopeful with Kristian Jaksch (196cm) too.

I see Jacob Weitering (195cm) as being the 'new breed' tall defender/forward who could easily cause many headaches as a key forward in his own right and potentially as an onballer/midfielder of the future. The sky is the limit for this exceptionally talented kid!

Reply #98
Gotta say, the 'potential' future, or next era, tall forward setup for The Mighty Blues of Harry McKay (200cm), Charlie Curnow (194cm) and Jack Silvagni (191cm) is mouth-watering.

Might be able to add a couple of newbies such as current GWS tall forwards seeking opportunities such as James Stewart (197cm) and Adam Tomlinson (193cm).

Josh Battle (192cm) in the u18s is one to watch too and potentially also the ineligible Giants academy prospect Todd Marshall (197cm).

I see Jacob Weitering (195cm) as being the 'new breed' tall defender/forward who could easily cause many headaches as a key forward in his own right and potentially as an onballer/midfielder of the future. The sky is the limit for this exceptionally talented kid!

Agree....Curnow and Silvagni are what we need to replace the likes of Everitt and Walker going forward......Curnow has big X factor being able to play forward and run on the ball and Jack will give us a reliabel 3rd tall forward in the Gunston mode..

Josh Battle is impressive..reminds me of an early Jack Darling....

I'd be happy to take any of the GWS youth including Stewart and Tomlinson....others dont seem to agree but I like Will Hoskin-Elliott as well...

Reply #99

This paints a very rosy picture. Given the way we are playing now (ie the quicker than expected improvement thus far) and the prospects coming through, there are very exciting time ahead. The future is now a lot clearer for me.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #100
We could have a team of mobile big men running around creating mismatches all over the ground.

Watching Curnow move, he can play on-ball and can run all day every day. I think they want Gorringe doing similar (he's terrific below his knees), Everitt does similar and, if reports from GWS can be believed, they have been getting Tomlinson to run on the ball in the NEAFL and he's been getting ridiculous stats.

Will still need some small forwards and on-ballers but I really think we are looking to have a team that can't be matched up on easily. Multiple forward marking threats who have elite running capacity.

Reply #101

Will still need some small forwards and on-ballers but I really think we are looking to have a team that can't be matched up on easily. Multiple forward marking threats who have elite running capacity.
Lamb and Sumner have been terrific in this regard and will only get better in opinion. Very accurate kicks for goal also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #102
We could have a team of mobile big men running around creating mismatches all over the ground.

Watching Curnow move, he can play on-ball and can run all day every day. I think they want Gorringe doing similar (he's terrific below his knees), Everitt does similar and, if reports from GWS can be believed, they have been getting Tomlinson to run on the ball in the NEAFL and he's been getting ridiculous stats.

Chad Wingard might hit free agency elligibility soon....

Might be worth throwing a couple of dollars his way.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #103
after third year of rebuild end of 2019 throw the kitchen sink at Jake Stringer will be 25 with six years of football in him.

Once we get these talented kids through the door next two years, will be time to bring in some serious players.. Bontampelli and Crippa in the midfield anyone.. that would be great... I mean why not Selwood and Dangerfield playing together same team.. ok I can stop dreaming now.

Reply #104
Back on topic  ;)

This is what the coach thinks:

Northern Blues senior coach Josh Fraser analyses the games of the 15 Carlton-listed players who played in his side’s 40-point win over Frankston on Sunday afternoon.

26. Matthew Dick
Stats: 19 disposals (7 contested), 5 marks, 3 tackles
From the coach: He’s assuming a leadership role in our back seven, and on the weekend again he defended his man well and played his role in team defence. He was down on his usual offensive output but he again put in a solid performance.

31. Jayden Foster
Stats: 6 disposals, 4 handball receives
From the coach: ‘Foz’ was down on previous weeks: he got caught in between with positioning on occasion but he fought back well in the second half and tried hard as the game went on. He’ll bounce back.

34. Jesse Glass-McCasker
Stats: 6 disposals, 2 handball receives
From the coach: An inconsistent day from Jesse - some of his positioning is very good and his reading of the play is impressive, but he needs to impact in the air more consistently. He’s always making good improvements.

38. Billy Gowers
Stats: 22 disposals, 6 handball receives, 7 loose-ball gets
From the coach: He again played in the half-back role, and he found plenty of the ball in difficult conditions. He’s improving the defensive side of his game and providing good leadership and spirit amongst the playing group.

48. Kristian Jaksch
Stats: 13 disposals (6 contested), 4 marks, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal
From the coach: ‘KJ’ was probably down on what we’ve come to expect, even as a tall in those conditions. He wasn’t in position often enough and didn’t get enough of it: he did have opportunities in front of goal (1.3) but didn’t convert as he normally does.

14. Liam Jones
Stats: 9 disposals, 4 inside 50s, 5 tackles, 1 goal
From the coach: Similar to KJ in that it wasn’t the output from our tall forwards that we needed or expected. Having said that, Liam put on some elite defensive pressure for his position, he continues to work extremely hard and his leadership was a standout.

80. Matthew Korcheck
Stats: 3 disposals, 2 tackles, 12 hitouts
From the coach: He was one of our three ruckmen, so he got limited opportunities but his ruck work at stoppages is good. He took a mark inside 50, continues to show positive signs and the wet conditions were another new experience for him.

15. Andrew Phillips
Stats: 8 disposals, 3 clearances, 3 tackles, 25 hitouts
From the coach: Ithought ‘Flip’ was pretty good: it was his first game back in four weeks, he split ruck duties with Woody, had 25 hitouts and some of his follow-up work was terrific. He also showed some good examples of high-speed running which was really impressive for a big guy.

47. Ciaran Sheehan
Stats: 12 disposals, 3 rebound 50s, 6 handball receives
From the coach: I thought ‘Gussy’ was solid, keeping in mind he’s missed a fair bit of footy. He’s working hard on positioning, it’ll take a bit of time but his contest was really good and he used the ball well.

2. Jack Silvagni
Stats: 21 disposals, 7 marks (4 inside 50), 7 inside 50s, 4 goals
From the coach: It was a really exciting performance from Jack: his work-rate got him to many contests, his forward-50 pressure was great and his kicking and ball handling at times was elite in wet conditions.

67. Clem Smith
Stats: 13 disposals, 4 marks, 3 inside 50s, 5 tackles, 1 goal
From the coach: He shows some really encouraging signs, he just needs to work on his method. Clem’s high-speed running was in the top two: his work-rate is there but he needs to tidy up his game - if he can endure for four quarters, he can be a really damaging asset for us.

76. Jason Tutt
Stats: 26 disposals, 4 marks, 7 handball receives, 1 goal
From the coach: It was another good game from ‘Tutty’. His running was elite and the contested game has improved - some of his tackling was pleasing. He’s another player whose leadership is coming to the fore, and he’s been one of our most consistent over the season.

65. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
Stats: 15 disposals, 6 marks, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances
From the coach: A patchy game from him. He does some really nice things but we just haven’t seen it often enough. He uses the ball well, but needs to work on running patterns and reaction time: he got used in a variety of roles.

42. Mark Whiley
Stats: 31 disposals (18 contested), 11 clearances, 10 hard-ball gets, 6 inside 50s, 1 goal
From the coach: A slow first quarter but he responded to be one of our best. It was a really combative performance, finished with seven tackles and kicked a nice goal: he put in a really solid game.

36. Cameron Wood
Stats: 7 disposals, 13 hitouts, 1 goal
From the coach: Combined ruck duties with Flip (Andrew Phillips) and got better as the game went on. He got in space and when he picks up his running capacity he’ll be dangerous for us. He was serviceable in the ruck and showed pleasing signs in his ability to get forward and work around the ground late in the game.

It's nice to see the comments about leadership.  Bolton seems to be achieving the leadership density he wants.

While there are promising signs for some players, time could be running out for others.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball