Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 33192 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 11: Post Game ________: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #60
Just looked at AFL Tables, we are 7th oldest in average age

NM     26.9
FR     25.9
HW     25.8
ES     25.7
WC     25.7
GE     25.4
CA     25.2
AD     25
PA     25
SY     24.9
RI     24.8
SK     24.6
CW     24.5
WB     24.4
GW     24.3
GC     24
ME     23.8
BL     23.7

This table annoys me. Average age is 23-27,  hardly massive differences the numbers. It means absolutely nothing.

You can have old spuds and young spuds, older guns, young guns

Age means nothing in this game, yet we are obsessed by it.

We could have Kane Lucas or Mathew Wright?
Dennis Armfield or Mathew Watson?

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #61
He's a grub and so is his old man.
I know nothing of his old man, and I don't claim to follow the boy's career in great detail - but what I saw when he was at the Cats, I didn't see too much grubbiness - not on field, anyway...........

Reply #62
He's a grub and so is his old man.
And what would you know about Brendan, his old man. He never played AFL although he was a gun local league player. Allen's 2 uncles, Damo and Marty did.

Reply #63
Some observations.

Walker been playing for 13 years, still won't do a drop punt when running into an open goal. has to do the stupid curl it around his shoulder, through his legs, up his clacker kick, and then cracks it when he misses. Has never learnt, and will never learn.

Nick Graham, just not up to AFL level. He's the type of player that I describe as being too good for VFL, but not good enough for AFL.

Gibbs did his usual, I have played one great game, think I'll have a rest, thing.

Kerridge was unimpressive early, but got better and better as the game progressed to be one of our best.

Love Weitering, no more comment necessary.

Gorringe getting better around the ground, but still got no idea at the centre bounces.

Ploughman improving.  Sam Doc, should get All Australian.

Now, I take into account the fact that they played out of their skins last week and there was a six day turnaround. I also take into account that playing at Etihad on what is a harder surface than the MCG, takes it out of players legs.

Notwithstanding all of that, they played like Millionaires in the last half, particularly in the last quarter. It should have been a 10 goal win which is about Brisbanes average losing margin this year. But it was a 38 point win, because they stuffed around with thoughtless play and stupid handball.

Frankly, it was sickening to watch.

Judging by Bolts understated comments at the Press conference, he is fully aware that what they produced particularly in the last quarter against a very ordinary team was not acceptable.

Let's just imagine for a moment that we are equal on points with another team after the last round. How are we going to feel if we finish 9th, but would have made the 8 had we kicked another 4 goals, or prevented Brisbane from scoring 4 goals in the last quarter as they did.

It was lazy, unacceptable football, reminiscent of the, dare I say it, Malthouse era.

As Bolts says, we are on a journey, and it is a continual learning process.

Lets hope that Bolton and the coaching staff can rid the players of this lazy type of play just because they think that they have a team on toast.

They have no better example than the way North dismantled Richmond on Friday night. Yes, Richmond had 3 down, but North put the screws in, and never let up, gaining a 70 point win.

That's what we should have done today.

Lets hope that the 7 day break and playing at 4.00 p.m. sees them coming out hard and tough and relentless against St. Kilda next week.

Almost forgot. LOVE BYRNE!!!!!!!!!!!

Smh
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #64
Some observations.

Gibbs did his usual, I have played one great game, think I'll have a rest, thing.

One good game???   Seriously pull your head in.   He was well held today by Robbo, but his "one good game" has been a purple patch of a number of weeks.   Amazing some people just can't wait to give him a clip.   What a joke

Reply #65
Don't be too critical, it was obvious at last weeks game that playing the last 3 quarters 2 men down against a quality side we put in a massive effort, and i'm sure many guys did more game time and ran more km's than was planned, then we had the six day break, and a few guys looked like it really hurt them today, Gibbs the best example. But we fought together and won, yes the last quarter was a bit ugly, but i still enjoyed it. Winning is fun, and the guys are working so hard and getting reward, it will carry us well going forward

Reply #66
If Casboult gets cited for a late hit I expect the club to send a video of Robbo's even more blatant example from 30 seconds earlier to the MRP.

The umpire that failed to make the correct decision in the first place (pay the late hit) should also be held to account.  This is what happens when obvious  free kicks aren't paid.
That was pretty poor in any regards. Had the umpire, ANY of them umpires, paid the correct decision, then that would have been it. Unfortunately things were not done properly and things came directly from that.
Very interesting to see how this plays out.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #67
Don't be too critical, it was obvious at last weeks game that playing the last 3 quarters 2 men down against a quality side we put in a massive effort, and i'm sure many guys did more game time and ran more km's than was planned, then we had the six day break, and a few guys looked like it really hurt them today, Gibbs the best example. But we fought together and won, yes the last quarter was a bit ugly, but i still enjoyed it. Winning is fun, and the guys are working so hard and getting reward, it will carry us well going forward

I agree.

Reply #68
One good game???   Seriously pull your head in.   He was well held today by Robbo, but his "one good game" has been a purple patch of a number of weeks.   Amazing some people just can't wait to give him a clip.   What a joke

Agree 100% Shakin.....shook my head in disappointment when I read that comment.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #69
Hope you're right Prof. Common sense says he should be fine - it was late but just a bump mostly side-on.  My concern is the AFL highlights of the game show the Levi bump on Robbo 3 or 4 times... and nothing is shown of the Robbo bump on Levi a minute earlier  >:(

On recent history (and seeing as it's us) I wouldn't be surprised if the bastards give Levi a week though. He should've just punched Robbo in the nuts instead as that's apparently not an offence any more  ::)
I find that very difficult to understand. How can hitting someone in the goolies NOT be reportable? And yet it was. I truly do not understand how this system is supposed to work. It has more holes in it than a Swiss Cheese.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #70
I must have been at a different game  ???

I thought that the effort, pressure, tackling, team defence and polished ball movement was as good as I have seen from a Carlton side in many years.  Yes the opposition wasn't all that flash but they beat us by 64 points last time; that's a 102 point turnaround.

What gave me a great deal of satisfaction was watching our defence set up and effectively create a wall that Brisbane struggled to penetrate.  The transition from zone to man on man was seamless.  We did get touched up in the clearances but that's understandable with Kreuzer off and Gibbs blanketed by Robbo.  Our pressure was so effective that Brisbane's clearance advantage was negated.

Thank you DJC.......I was beginning to think we must've lost (even though I was at the game 8))........some of our ball movement from coast-to-coast was as good as I've seen from any team this year, with forwards at times not finishing the good work done by others prior.

Umpiring was deadset rubbish in the 2nd half & gifted the Lions many scoring opportunities/denied us of just as many......absolutely horrible display from those 3 blokes.....bordering on cheating.

Whilst some players were a bit down, others ably stepped-up.....I love that aspect of our game today.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #71

Firstly, Shakin, I am entitled to my opinion.

You certainly have the right to disagree. The fact that you aren't able to do so without being abusive, is a character trait that you need to work on.

Secondly, overall, Gibbs has been an incredible disappointment for years. If he lacked ability, I could understand. If he was a number 110 draft pick, I could understand. If he was getting 150 grand a year I could understand.

But he doesn't lack ability, is a number 1 draft pick, and is on at least 500 grand a year.

He has been a pack skirter and receiver  since day one. His lazy,careless  shot at goal from 40 metres out on a slight angle when clear in the first quarter, was symptomatic of his whole career. And unlike Walker who swore like a trooper when he stupidly missed running into an open goal, Gibbs showed no emotion and shrugged off the miss as just one of those things.

This year, he has, in a few games, actually put his body on the line, and last week was probably the best, and most intense game he has played for us since he arrived at the club.

Now, I don't expect the intensity of last weeks level of performance from him every week, but it showed us what he has been capable of, but failed to deliver since he came to the club. 

Just  compare him to Kade Simpson.

Kade lacks the natural ability with which Gibbs is blessed, however, and once again in my opinion, I reckon he is probably the most courageous player for his size and weight who has played for Carlton since the great Ken Hunter.

And, unlike Gibbs, he has done it every week for 252 games.

I'm pleased that Gibbs has performed better this year than in previous years, but today, was a another performance of the Gibbsy of old.

Even you agree that "he was well held by Robbo", who doesn't have 10% of the ability in his whole body, that Gibbs has in his little finger. Perhaps 25% more effort by Gibbs, might have seen him have some effect on the game.

All that does is re-afirm my original comment about him.

Re: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #72
First chance I've had to sit down in front of the machine and I find I do have a few cents worth to deliver.

[1] This was the largest winning margin we have had for years. It was not a great winning margin, but it wasn't a few points either. In the circumstances it was good enough.

[2] I was very pleased we won when we got so convincingly thrashed in the ruck. Kreuzer did a good job in the first half in keeping Martin and West under control, but we won few taps and even fewer to advantage. The centre square was a disaster, but we did better around the ground.
Brisbane had more than double our tap outs.
After half time, without Kreuzer, we struggled and they got centre clearances.
Even though we managed so few centre clearances we still managed to win.
I hope Phillips comes through tomorrow OK, we do need to be more competitive in this regard.

[3] Our defence can really stand tall tonight. Top effort from all of them, although Weitering's 14 marks does stand out. Our defence really won the game for us with the drive they managed to provide.

[4] Tom Rockliff: never have I seen 40+ possessions be so ineffective and so non-damaging. I can count the number of really effective possessions he had on one hand. Cripps managed less than 30, but more lethal. Each kick and handball HURT.

[4]
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #73
Firstly, Shakin, I am entitled to my opinion.

You certainly have the right to disagree. The fact that you aren't able to do so without being abusive, is a character trait that you need to work on.

Secondly, overall, Gibbs has been an incredible disappointment for years. If he lacked ability, I could understand. If he was a number 110 draft pick, I could understand. If he was getting 150 grand a year I could understand.

But he doesn't lack ability, is a number 1 draft pick, and is on at least 500 grand a year.

He has been a pack skirter and receiver  since day one. His lazy,careless  shot at goal from 40 metres out on a slight angle when clear in the first quarter, was symptomatic of his whole career. And unlike Walker who swore like a trooper when he stupidly missed running into an open goal, Gibbs showed no emotion and shrugged off the miss as just one of those things.

This year, he has, in a few games, actually put his body on the line, and last week was probably the best, and most intense game he has played for us since he arrived at the club.

Now, I don't expect the intensity of last weeks level of performance from him every week, but it showed us what he has been capable of, but failed to deliver since he came to the club. 

Just  compare him to Kade Simpson.

Kade lacks the natural ability with which Gibbs is blessed, however, and once again in my opinion, I reckon he is probably the most courageous player for his size and weight who has played for Carlton since the great Ken Hunter.

And, unlike Gibbs, he has done it every week for 252 games.

I'm pleased that Gibbs has performed better this year than in previous years, but today, was a another performance of the Gibbsy of old.

Even you agree that "he was well held by Robbo", who doesn't have 10% of the ability in his whole body, that Gibbs has in his little finger. Perhaps 25% more effort by Gibbs, might have seen him have some effect on the game.

All that does is re-afirm my original comment about him.
You clearly have no idea of what modern football is about, and what it takes to play it

Re: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #74
[4] Tom Rockliff: never have I seen 40+ possessions be so ineffective and so non-damaging. I can count the number of really effective possessions he had on one hand. Cripps managed less than 30, but more lethal. Each kick and handball HURT.

I couldn't believe that he had so much of the ball.  He did a couple of good things but I would have guessed that he had 15-20 disposals.  I guess it shows how footy stats can be deceiving, particularly when so many possessions are uncontested and are simply switching the play.  In his defence, his team-mates probably didn't capitalise on his work.

Cripps, on the other hand, took the game on and was creative and effective with his use of the ball.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball