Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 32851 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #120
Its not hatred mate. Its just utter frustration.
We've all witnessed over the past "crape house" years, snippets of  what he is capable of.
This year he has been fantastic. Wasnt great yesterday but overall he's had a great year.
What us " nay sayers" are fearful of is that he'll fall back into coasting mode which he's shown plenty of times before.

This is what I don't get.  Was he coasting in 2014?  Have any of his coaches said that he coasts?  What roles did his coaches assign him?  Has he been played out of position by successive coaches?

A player who coasts would have been shown the door long ago.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #121
The amazing thing about this game is that when the draw came out, I thought it was going to be our first real chance for a win in 2016.

I was wrong, it was our 6th..... :)) :)) :))

Didn't really play all that well and still won by 38 points coasting.....

Please don't wake me up
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #122
Defends well, lacks a yard of pace and shouldnt fiddle with the ball as he doesnt have the smarts to sell candy...sometimes takes too long to wind up for handpasses.

This is excrement.

Reply #123
Was it this time last year that folk were calling on Simpson to retire because he wasn't up to it anymore?

I was having a chat with some folk in the social club and they just don't get the continual, and in their opinion, unjustified criticism of Gibbs by a small but vocal minority.  He got a standing ovation at the members function after the Geelong game.  I guess all those folk just don't realise how poor he is.

When Gibbs won the B & F in 2014, the critics claimed that he only played well to get a better contract.  What a load of bollocks!  Anyone who knows anything about AFL and elite sportspeople knows that they give their all every time they take the field - unless they've been nobbled.

Some supporters are only really happy when they have someone to bag and our performances and Gibbs' form must really be getting up some noses.

As you say Kruddler, Gibbs deserves some credit.

I've got a problem with Gibbs consistency - especially against top teams. His game against Geelong was pretty much his best ever. Good luck to him - hope he's turned the corner.

But to suggest there's a big conspiracy out there to get Bryce Gibbs - give me a spell. He didn't turn up last year and even in his good years he'd admit himself he's been too inconsistent against the better teams.

Reply #124
I think there's something of a 'short memory syndrome' about the place. I said in the pre-game thread Saturday's was a game the OLD Carlton was a monty to lose.

Between 2009-2014 we would win a couple, face up against a team going nowhere (usually an interstate club) only for our players to spend the game wondering if they've left the oven on at home.

Just goes to show how much of this game is between the ears. Guess it also shows what can happen when the captain of the ship manages to steer it in the right direction.

Agree that we still made mistakes yesterday, but we're not going in to our shell anymore. We were more scared of ourselves than we were of the opposition in years gone by.

I'm loving watching us play compared with the last few years - how could you not be?

Couple of things I'd prefer NOT to see:
- Cripps grabbing the ball out of the ruck. If he grabs the ball from the bounce/throw in, to whom should he dish it off?  Cripps? He gets caught a lot doing this.
- Walker needs to realise he's taken his one MoTY. Stay down son and gather the tasty morsels tossed your way by Ogre Caz.

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #125
I've got a problem with Gibbs consistency - especially against top teams. His game against Geelong was pretty much his best ever. Good luck to him - hope he's turned the corner.

But to suggest there's a big conspiracy out there to get Bryce Gibbs - give me a spell. He didn't turn up last year and even in his good years he'd admit himself he's been too inconsistent against the better teams.

No, there's no big conspiracy.  Just a couple of folk who have a different opinion to most.

But you're right, he didn't turn up for 12 games last season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #126
This is what I don't get.  Was he coasting in 2014?  Have any of his coaches said that he coasts?  What roles did his coaches assign him?  Has he been played out of position by successive coaches?

A player who coasts would have been shown the door long ago.

AFL players don't coast.  It's a weak argument for players that look laconic.   Do people with any intelligence think that a player (any player) thinks I did enough last week so I can go half paced today?   Please.

With Gibbs the haters will find a reason to criticise his performance.   Sit there with the remote with the pause button looking for a reason to give him a clip.

And re Simpson people have very short memories.   The season he went to half back from the midfield posters saw his drop in disposals as a lack of effort.   No surprise who the most vocal poster was

Reply #127
After the Geelong game one of Brisbane's goals for the week would have been to put  a fair bit of effort into working out how to curtail Gibbs. ;)

Reply #128
The days of relying on one man (ie C Judd) are over, everyone rolls up the sleeves and gets dirty and busy.

Made me think, imagine if Juddy were playing in this team at the moment! He would be loving it I reckon, and probably be favorite for the Brownlow as well !!

It's a crying shame his last years were wasted under Malthouse.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #129
We had the game under control by half time, which was lucky, coz the 2nd half was pretty scrappy.

Murph out, Gibbs quiet, No Kreuzer in the 2nd half, this was a game won on the efforts of some of our lesser lights and our latest number 1 pick.

Another pretty even team effort overall, which is becoming a bit of a theme for this side, which in itself is a good thing.

2nd week in a row to score over 100 points is also very encouraging !!
It's our small forwards who are doing the most damage.

There are a lot of green shoots sprouting all over the place for the Blues, lots to get excited about, a good chance for another win next week......

Go Blues !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #130
Made me think, imagine if Juddy were playing in this team at the moment! He would be loving it I reckon, and probably be favorite for the Brownlow as well !!

It's a crying shame his last years were wasted under Malthouse.
There is just no arguing with such indisputable logic!

It was like rolling up to your birthday party to find someone had crap on the cake! :(
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
After the Geelong game one of Brisbane's goals for the week would have been to put  a fair bit of effort into working out how to curtail Gibbs. ;)
Shows how important depth can be! :)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
Is it reasonable / fair / relevant to compare Gibbs' output to some of his contemporaries ?

Reply #133
AFL players don't coast.  It's a weak argument for players that look laconic.  

I can vividly recall screamong to Jezza to tun faste,r as he seemed to just lope along.  But he always got there and was never caught.  You are right, some players seem to run urgently to get there and others have a different style.  Certainly some just cannot run fast but make up for it in other ways - Greg Williams !   

Reply #134
No, there's no big conspiracy.  Just a couple of folk who have a different opinion to most.

But you're right, he didn't turn up for 12 games last season.

Who did turn up last year? 

It was a lost year, i've heard it mentioned that players felt they have wasted the last couple of years... maybe that has something to do with our turn-around  this year.