Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 10: Northern Blues vs Box Hill at Box Hill (Read 40514 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 10: Northern Blues vs Box Hill at Box Hill

Reply #135
Either this year or next (or whenever) Charlie and Jack will be replacing Everitt and Walker.

Those advocating Jack are mostly doing so because...
a) They see stats/goals from the NB games
b) They see the 'performance' (or lack thereof) of Walker/Everitt on a weekly basis.

Based on that its a case of, "surely he couldn't be any worse than..."

Probably Kruddler but, at present, SOJ is playing more like a small forward.  Someone in another thread compared SOJ to Gunston and that couldn't be further from the mark.  If I had to compare him with a Hawthorn player, someone like Puopolo would be close - and I mean that as a good thing!

I expect that SOJ will "play taller" as he develops strength, match fitness and confidence.  I don't think he will ever have the ability to cover the ground like Everitt and Walker.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #136
If we already know that certain players e.g. Jack S. are going to be around next year then there is no point rushing them into the seniors this year.

Where we are looking to make a decision on them this year then they may be given a game or two so that the decision can be made. I don't know whether Jaksch would fit into this category. The following

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/midseason-report-carlton-become-overachievers-20160615-gpjd7v.html

is an interesting article and it says that with BB's approach players who for instance can't hit targets will not be kept on, papers likely stamped, and that Dylan Buckley is a possible example in this category. Others struggling for a senior game for whatever reasons who are also possibly under the pump include Clem Smith, KJ, Liam Jones.

That also assumes they know what Bolton is thinking and what deals SOS will get done.

IMHO no one has papers stamped and given where we are at not getting a game has more to do with development of knowledge and skills whilst getting a game means there is no more for you to learn or that you can learn in the ones without hurting the team.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #137
That also assumes they know what Bolton is thinking and what deals SOS will get done.

IMHO no one has papers stamped and given where we are at not getting a game has more to do with development of knowledge and skills whilst getting a game means there is no more for you to learn or that you can learn in the ones without hurting the team.

I think that's right Thry.

There is a lot of effort being put into the blokes in the NBs so that they can fit straight in to the senior team.

It seems to me that a standard has been set and players have to be operating at that standard to be considered for selection.  I reckon we have quite a few players who are at or are very close to that standard; Jones (never thought that would happen), Jaksch, Gowers, Glass-McCasker, Buckley, and Phillips.  SOJ isn't far off and it would nice to think that Charlie Curnow and McKay can get there before the end of the season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #138
I'm confused. Is "SOJ" Jack or Dylan? ???

Reply #139
I'm confused. Is "SOJ" Jack or Dylan? ???

Jack is called SOJ - son of Jo - by his team mates.  It would have been too easy for them to use SOS.  I reckon it's due recognition of Jo  :)

Reply #140

Add the word "yet" and I'd possibly agree with you, although there may be one or two, I don't know for sure. Any players that have been around for a few years and can't crack a senior game, especially if they can't demonstrate the minimum required skills or attitude, would certainly be vulnerable by end of year though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #141
Add the word "yet" and I'd possibly agree with you, although there may be one or two, I don't know for sure. Any players that have been around for a few years and can't crack a senior game, especially if they can't demonstrate the minimum required skills or attitude, would certainly be vulnerable by end of year though.

I think "end of year" is a critical element Cookie.

I think we have a much better and more effective focus on player development under Bolton's leadership and players who have languished in the NBs for a couple of years are now starting to show what they are capable of.  For example, I would have said that Billy Gowers was on thin ice but, after watching him play on Saturday, I reckon he could slot straight in to the senior side.

It may be a case of too little, too late for some but they still have the opportunity to determine their future career trajectory.

Interestingly, our kicking efficiency has gone from 18th last season to 6th this year.  Some of the improvement may be due to new players but it does show that the 2015 list was capable of much better disposal than many of us thought.  I think the possession game is a factor but you can't maintain a possession game without good disposal.

Reply #142
@DJC

That's positive news DJC. Mass delistings are indicative of system failures at the club I guess and if we can avoid that kind of waste whilst building a winning team then great. I'll be guided by yourself and others on here re. our NB talent as I usually can't get along to their games and I haven't seen them on tv for some time now.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #143
I think "end of year" is a critical element Cookie.

I think we have a much better and more effective focus on player development under Bolton's leadership and players who have languished in the NBs for a couple of years are now starting to show what they are capable of.  For example, I would have said that Billy Gowers was on thin ice but, after watching him play on Saturday, I reckon he could slot straight in to the senior side.

It may be a case of too little, too late for some but they still have the opportunity to determine their future career trajectory.

Interestingly, our kicking efficiency has gone from 18th last season to 6th this year.  Some of the improvement may be due to new players but it does show that the 2015 list was capable of much better disposal than many of us thought.  I think the possession game is a factor but you can't maintain a possession game without good disposal.

As far as disposal goes a big change from early in the year is the handballs are no longer finding grass. Good handball keeps the run going and gets the ball into the 50 very quickly and efficiently, one that hits the grass slows or stops that run, or worse, turns it over.

Reply #144
As far as disposal goes a big change from early in the year is the handballs are no longer finding grass. Good handball keeps the run going and gets the ball into the 50 very quickly and efficiently, one that hits the grass slows or stops that run, or worse, turns it over.

Overall disposal efficiency has gone from 17th to 8th while kicking efficiency has jumped from 18th to 6th.  I don't have handpassing efficiency figures but it must not be as good as our kicking.  I guess that's understandable since many handpasses are executed under pressure or when tackled but there is ample room for improvement.

Reply #145
I like the sound of this sort of player review:

42. Mark Whiley
Stats: 28 disposals (20 contested), 11 hard-ball gets, 9 clearances
From the coach: He was again significant around the stoppages and contested ball: it was a bull-like performance in tight in tough conditions. He got the ball going forward our way and was relentless for four quarters.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #146

42. Mark Whiley
From the coach: He was again significant around the stoppages and contested ball: it was a bull-like performance in tight in tough conditions. He got the ball going forward our way and was relentless for four quarters.

He isnt smart or quick enough with the ball at senior level...maybe he could learn to play Half back and release a player like Byrne to play up the field more and who does have the tools to become a top line player...

Reply #147

42. Mark Whiley

Yes, I think I neglected to mention Whiley but he was pretty good.  However, I'm not sure who he could replace and whether he would strengthen the side.  It is good to see blokes like Whiley really having a crack.

Reply #148
He isnt smart or quick enough with the ball at senior level...maybe he could learn to play Half back and release a player like Byrne to play up the field more and who does have the tools to become a top line player...

That's my only knock on Whiley, his footy smarts ...or lack thereof. There is no doubting his endeavour and ability to compete and contest.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17